• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Lol, you know what Tony, I figured if it doesnt work out, Id throw some fancy wood grips on it and have my first, official safe queen.

I really want it to work though.

I did notice that you mentioned you had carried a 1911 for years. I don't see any problems with it.

I've really come to like Pachmayr grips, because they're not as "grippy" with clothing, but still provide plenty of grip. I'm not sure of their offerings for the 686, but I bet they have something. Hogues are great, but were WAY TOO GRIPPY on my new Ruger GP100.

DarrenL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2014
    East-Central
    I have a 4" 686 and it is great, although my carry weapon is a lightweight compact Wilson Combat 1911 45. Never really thought about carrying a 686 though, interesting thread.

darren

DarrenL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2014
    East-Central
    My first handgun, a gift from my father when I turned 18, was a S&W Model 60. It was for me as I went away to college, for personal protection, and his logic was that a revolver can't jam, you just keep pulling the trigger. It is not my current choice, but it makes a lot of sense.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    and his logic was that a revolver can't jam

They can, and when they do they tend to be really jammed. Bend the crane, get some debris under the extractor star during a reload, have a bullet jump crimp, all can lock it up. Break a spring, no bang. Revolvers are machines, too, and they can and do fail.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008

It is heavier than many carry guns, but not too heavy with a good belt/holster. This is a 586.

But it is an awesome gun and well worth it.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Any grown man who thinks that a 3 in. 686 is too heavy for carry needs to start going to the gym. While it might be "heavier" than a plastic pocket .380 - it ain't that bad. Some of you guys sound like a bunch of little wussies.

I am a grown man. However, I have back problems from doing all sorts of "manly" things throughout my life. Weight makes a difference for me now. For the record, I've carried a 4" S&W 629 in the past.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    "Some of you guys.." I was not addressing people with back problems or quadraplegics or amputees etc. etc etc... and I didn't call "anyone" a "name". I said some of you "sound" like..... Lighten up kids. And FWIW the doctors are getting ready to put ME in a wheelchair. I guess I won't have to worry about handgun size or weight on my belt anymore. So I got that going for me.:rolleyes:

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    "Some of you guys.." I was not addressing people with back problems or quadraplegics or amputees etc. etc etc... and I didn't call "anyone" a "name". I said some of you "sound" like..... Lighten up kids. And FWIW the doctors are getting ready to put ME in a wheelchair. I guess I won't have to worry about handgun size or weight on my belt anymore. So I got that going for me.:rolleyes:

I wasn't picking on you. I actually understood what you meant. However, I wanted to point out there may be reasons some of us don't carry guns of this size anymore. I still carry a full size 1911 on occasion. At the end of the day, my back lets me know about it, though. Getting old sucks!

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I prefer 4"+ bbl. lengths for magnum handguns, but that's a personal preference.

The S&W Mdl. 686 is one of the finest examples of a .357 Magnum revolver extant. Carried one (4") for some number of years.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Any grown man who thinks that a 3 in. 686 is too heavy for carry needs to start going to the gym. While it might be "heavier" than a plastic pocket .380 - it ain't that bad. Some of you guys sound like a bunch of little wussies.

^^THIS^^ If you like revolvers then it doesn't matter what others say. If I had a dollar for every time a polymer fan boy told me my revolver was to heavy or the trigger was too heavy or it was too big to carry then I would have some nice items paid for. I cut my teeth and was issued revolvers back when I started LE. There is nothing wrong with them. Are the Glocks and M&P's good Yes the are have a couple of them but you just simply can not beat a good DA Revolver especially a L frame S&W. They all have their merits.

Top Bottom