• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    I was goin thru some old articles on possible replacements of the m-16 for the Military.
    Personally I like the H&K XM8, and would love to see a Civy version.
    Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    HK would never sell anything like that to civilians, because we suck and they hate us. In the eyes of HK, we are full of fail.

HK would have to do some serious selling to ever get the military to adopt it. Its not a bad modular platform, but like most HK rifles (with some exception) would likely be horribly expensive, even with the discout they give the ubermensch.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    HK would never sell anything like that to civilians, because we suck and they hate us. In the eyes of HK, we are full of fail.

HK would have to do some serious selling to ever get the military to adopt it. Its not a bad modular platform, but like most HK rifles (with some exception) would likely be horribly expensive, even with the discout they give the ubermensch.

I couldn't agree more.
    That said, I don't see the advantage of a weapon like this outside of a military or LEO role.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Are you speaking of design or putative capabilities?

I guess it's like the Sig P250.

How many people do you know who for their personal firearm are going to buy a $600 gun, and then two additional $50 frames, two additional $200 Barrels, and two additional $250 slides to take their P250 compact, and allow them to convert it to a sub compact, or full sized.

That's $500 per conversion. Why not just buy a subcompact for $600, and a full sized for $600 and have three guns that CAN function at the same time.

Looking at the XM8 what I see is.

An AR-15 Carbine, that can be converted into an AR-15 rifle, that can then be converted into an AR-15 pistol, With all sorts of appropriate attachments for each, Bipod/scope/grenade launcher etc.

For the average Civilian who isn't trying to arm a department/squad/platoon and doesn't have a full time armorer on staff. I don't see how a $3000 wonder rifle, plus $12000 worth of attachments is any advantage at all over buying 4 purpose built $1500 AR-15 rifles.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    141254817384.jpg

xm8poster_2.jpg

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    For some reason, that top strap is really messing with me. I can't NOT see a fish with looking at the various configurations.

My thoughts exactly. Like one of the fish squirt guns when I was a kid. I'll keep my Evil Black Rifles thank you :do2:

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    For some reason, that top strap is really messing with me. I can't NOT see a fish with looking at the various configurations.

Disposable Heart calls my dad's Beretta CX4 the "fish gun". :D

As for the XM8. No thanks. They can keep their melting gun (which it did when the Army tested and passed on it).

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    no offense to army personell(esp you silent warrior) but the majority of theese would be put in the hands of army troops. and we all know at least one army troop who would break this damned thing into a million pieces trying to re-configure it. or re-assemble it backwards in the field

just to be fair, all us air force troops would only want the pistol variant becuase it's the lightest. and we'd still wine about it.

the marines would scrap it and adopt someting else just becuase they can(must be nice)

and the navy, well they don't really count

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    The HK does look like a squirt gun.

When I bought my Sig556, one of the things I liked about it was that it still -- to me at least -- looked like it belonged in the same arena as an AR. I know it's got a different gas system, but it doesn't look like something from Battlestar Galactica.

Top Bottom