• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    And, in this case, including (in the spirit of credit where credit is due) Sotomayer and Ginsberg.

Needless Suffering - Jack Dunphy - The Corner on National Review Online

The ninth circuit had halted a death penalty sentence imposed on Fernando Belmontes, in part because his bludgeoning to death Steacy McConnell supposedly did not inflict "needless suffering."

He beat her to death with a dumbell. She tried to defend herself from the beating (evidenced by bruised on her arms and hands. And even then, she didn't go quickly and was still alive when officers found her later.

All that over about $100 worth of stuff which he stole.

In a unanimous decision, the Supreme Court restored the death penalty in this case.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Good for all of them!

Was this a unanimous decision?
    I don't care about the perp's childhood issues or his conversion to Christianity. I don't give a fuuuuuuuuuugh! Execute him quick!

Last edited:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Good for all of them!

Was this a unanimous decision?
    I donlt care abiut the per's childhood issues or his coversion to Christianity. I don;t give a fuuuuuuuuuugh! Execute him quick!

"In a unanimous decision." ;)

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    I'm all for giving credit where credit is due. Regardless of the politics and craziness that a few of them bring to the bench, everyone stepped up and did the right thing on this one.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    "So now the caretaker's the undertaker so I'm gonna go and get a Peacemaker..."

I'm glad that for once, justice has prevailed.

Here's to hoping they hang him high.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    The ninth circuit had halted a death penalty sentence imposed on Fernando Belmontes, in part because his bludgeoning to death Steacy McConnell supposedly did not inflict "needless suffering."
    30 minutes of reading the darn opinion and I don't see it...:dunno:

Belmontes v. Woodford said:
    CONCLUSION

Although we are disturbed by the prosecution's failure to disclose impeaching evidence and to correct false testimony on the part of its principal witness, as well as by defense counsel's failure to disclose the [*117] extent of his prior representation of Vasquez and to pursue a full investigation of Vasquez's background, and although we are at least as disturbed by the results of the study that showed the discriminatory racial effect of the County's capital charging policies, we cannot conclude, for the reasons we have explained, that any of these occurrences served to violate Belmontes' constitutional rights. Thus, we are compelled to deny relief with respect to the guilt phase, including the special circumstances finding. However, because the trial judge failed to instruct the jury that it was required to consider Belmontes' principal mitigation evidence, and because we conclude that this failure had a substantial and injurious effect upon the verdict, we reverse with respect to the sentencing phase. We remand to the district court with instructions to issue an appropriate writ vacating Belmontes' death sentence.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    30 minutes of reading the darn opinion and I don't see it...:dunno:

Originally Posted by Belmontes v. Woodford, 9th circuit, 2003
    CONCLUSION

Although we are disturbed by the prosecution's failure to disclose impeaching evidence and to correct false testimony on the part of its principal witness, as well as by defense counsel's failure to disclose the [*117] extent of his prior representation of Vasquez and to pursue a full investigation of Vasquez's background, and although we are at least as disturbed by the results of the study that showed the discriminatory racial effect of the County's capital charging policies, we cannot conclude, for the reasons we have explained, that any of these occurrences served to violate Belmontes' constitutional rights. Thus, we are compelled to deny relief with respect to the guilt phase, including the special circumstances finding. However, because the trial judge failed to instruct the jury that it was required to consider Belmontes' principal mitigation evidence, and because we conclude that this failure had a substantial and injurious effect upon the verdict, we reverse with respect to the sentencing phase. We remand to the district court with instructions to issue an appropriate writ vacating Belmontes' death sentence.

Reps for actual research rather than pontificating blind.

Top Bottom