• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Has anyone had the nerve to open carry at the Three Rivers Festival in Fort Wayne this week? I CC'ed there yesterday but was contemplating OC the next time we head down there. I figured it would be a good test to see if the new law is being respected, figuring how it used to be a crime to carry in city parks.

Then again, I'd hate to be the cause of a mass panic MWAG call to the authorities....

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    I wanted to test the new laws at the Plainfield fireworks show. They were held at the park but in the end I just pulled my shirt over it. I didnt really feel like getting my night ruined by dealing with the cops and then my wife.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Then again, I'd hate to be the cause of a mass panic MWAG call to the authorities....

Why? :dunno: If you are abiding by all applicable laws, then a MWAG call means noting to you. Even if the authorities do confront you, there's nothing they can do legally. Worst case scenario - they try to enforce an outdated law and you get to sue them for 3x attorney fees plus court costs (as per the new law). I'm not seeing the down side here... ;)

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Why? :dunno: If you are abiding by all applicable laws, then a MWAG call means noting to you. Even if the authorities do confront you, there's nothing they can do legally. Worst case scenario - they try to enforce an outdated law and you get to sue them for 3x attorney fees plus court costs (as per the new law). I'm not seeing the down side here... ;)

Yeah, I see how a MWAG situation could turn into a win for me. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it this week sometime. But as the other poster said, I'll have to deal with my wife too, who doesn't like attracting attention to ourselves. In some ways she's worse than a police confrontation :n00b:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    In some ways she's worse than a police confrontation :n00b:

I am going to put that on the next set of flowers I send my wife. If that doesn't lead to good things, I just don't know women! ;)

Police attention and hundreds of people staring is less than ideal. BGs will focus on drunks in lederhosen so you'll have time to draw from concealment. Unless of course YOU are the drunk in lederhosen...

danmrt868

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    ft. wayne
    did last year and had no issues, during the day when it first opened but there wasn't alot of people there. one carny said i shouldnt carry down there but thats coming from a guy who can't have guns cause he said he was a felon.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Your holster is at least as good as the other open carriers down there as far as retention?

Have you been trained and practiced how to walk in elbow to elbow traffic when OC'ing like the other folks who are OC'ing down there?

Do you have a wingman who is armed and can be watching your back like the other folks who are OC'ing down there?

Not saying you shouldn't do it, but there is more to think about than just strapping on the sidearm.

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Your holster is at least as good as the other open carriers down there as far as retention?
    I have a Blackhawk Serpa retention holster which holds it in there nice and tight.

Have you been trained and practiced how to walk in elbow to elbow traffic when OC'ing like the other folks who are OC'ing down there?
    While I haven't had any formal training, I have OC'ed in crowds before, so I know what to expect. I'm no expert at it by any means, but I'm also not some cocky idiot like some folks I've seen.

Do you have a wingman who is armed and can be watching your back like the other folks who are OC'ing down there?
    Unless they have some covert operatives working behind them, I've never seen anyone have a wingman before. Not that it isn't a good Idea, it's just that I don't know anyone who carries who would want to go with me there, and my wife doesn't carry.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, but there is more to think about than just strapping on the sidearm.
    And I get that, I just feel more comfortable OC'ing, especially with the hot weather. I'm not going to be out there sowing off and being cocky. That's just not me.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I know some guys that might just disarm you before you can react. Just to see the look on your face. Kinda like having your wallet attached to the outside of your shirt.

Not me, for sure, but I know they are out there.

BTW, my wife is my wingman and I am hers. We do not walk hand in hand and we CC.

I did spend 12 years OC'ing down there in a uniform..and I always had a wingman then too......

Good luck. If you want to find the freaks, they will all be there. And they will know about you too.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom