• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kmaroman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    North Vernon
    So let me say this isn't my first 700 and there's a bit of a catch. You see I recently picked up 700 in 300wm built by a company called howder arms. As its explained the action is trued and blueprinted then thrown into an xlr chassis. I really like this gun and it handles well. I've shot it some but not enough to get a load worked up, I checked the trigger on it and it was consistently pulling 4.3lbs, it's not a bad trigger I don't find myself jerking it but I had a Jewell hvr preset at a pound in my last one. My father had a few 700s and he has timneys in them, honestly I couldn't tell a difference between my Jewell and his timney except his timney had a fatter trigger which I found nicer. So which would you guys choose and why? I'm thinking timney this time because there a little cheaper. I should note the biggest catch of all is that I noticed the action is bedded to the chassis so I'm kind of hesitant to pull it apart. Any thoughts ? Another thing is I notice brass is hard to come by I'm looking at ordering a 100 pieces of nosler unless someone has better suggestions

Kmaroman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    North Vernon
    At the back of the action I can see some kind of black compound sandwiched between it and the chassis. I went ahead and said to hell with it and have a Jewell on the way for this gun.

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Google TriggerTech. Find a retailer. Be very happy. I currently have 2 of theirs on my 700s and will be buying a 3rd very soon. I felt them at the NRA Convention almost side by side to the Timney and the TriggerTech was the hands down winner.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Why do you say that? I adjusted the trigger on my 700 and it's as clean and crisp as can be.

Adjustment to factory triggers can be hit or miss. They're not as precisely made as the aftermarket triggers, so you can't always get good results just by turning the adjustment screws. Also, with Remington, if you touch the trigger, other than the X mark pro trigger's weight screw and you have to send the gun in for warranty work, they will not send it back with an altered trigger. I adjusted a trigger on a Remington PSS that I had 10 years ago, had it all nice and dialed in, and then had to send the rifle because it had a rough chamber and was hard to extract fired cases. Remington sent the gun back to me with an $80 COD for the replacement factory trigger they put on it. If I had dropped a Timney or Jewell in it, I could've put the factory trigger back in.

Alternately, make sure the gun works perfectly before you alter a factory trigger.

ETA: Most of the time, due to the design of the aftermarket triggers, they are safer at a lighter weight than the factory trigger would be. They're designed to be set to the minimum of their advertised range. Factory triggers usually are not. On an old-style Remington trigger, you're lowering the sear engagement to get a crisper, less creepy pull, where an aftermarket trigger has polished internals, that give you the same feel with more engagement.

Top Bottom