• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enthusiast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    I am wondering what the disdain is about thumbhole style stocks that many rifles were fitted with during the last assault weapons ban. I've been reading some articles on retrofitting an SLR-95 with a pistol grip but, honestly, I don't see the point unless it is for a more bad boy look. The functionality seems fine as is. Comments?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Some people really like them. I bought a Browning with a thumbhole stock, and decided it was not to my liking, so I traded it for a regular stock. Not right or wrong, simply different people have different tastes.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Most people prefer the original "evil" look and not that which was forced upon them by their government.

Regardless, some of the Bush-hole stocks of the period were so poorly designed as to be unusable by many shooters. I personally cannot reach the trigger of a MAK-90 with the Bush1 approved stock.

That said, a properly designed thumb-hole stock works nicely for competition rifles that never had that "evil" designation.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Once I held a thumb hole stock in my hand I had to have one. I find it way more comfortable. I ordered one from Boyds for my Remington 700. I love it!

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I think a well made thumb hole stock is more easy to shoot. It is easier to point accurately. More so from standing than from the bench.

Top Bottom