• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ederue

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    I got to shoot at the new range up in Westfield for the first time today. Here is my assessment.
    1) Safety - they are clearly safety conscience. The range safety is always present, but because its an indoor range-the range safety is not over the top as I've experienced at the Camp Atterbury DNR Range. I did not have the concern of being shot by a errant shooter as seems to happen on a regular basis at one unnamed range in Indianapolis . Eye and ear pro is required.

2) Its a range, built that way from the ground up, that sells some firearms and accessories. Not a converted former warehouse building, and not gun store that opted to put in a couple of lanes.

3) Air handler. Key to an indoor range obviously- theirs is excellent. There were about 10 shooters when I was there and there was no trace of smoke or haze. Very well built. I have been in a couple of our local ranges where you're blowing black snot for the next day- not here.

4) Prices are moderate. It was $26 for an hour, with a few targets. I can get to a range with less fees, but for the distance (gas and time) it probably more than equals out. You do have to buy all your targets from them - $1-$4 each.

5) Brass- re loaders you can police up your own brass. You have to be somewhat quick about it. They have range personnel sweeping up all the time. I was probably able to salvage 60-70% of what I shot - some of that going over the firing line.

6) Lighting - excellent. Pistol ranges are 50 ft. and I had no problem seeing my targets at max distance.

7) Staff- very friendly; quick to service.

8) Rifle- they have 5 x 75 ft rifle lanes (can take anything under a .50 BMG) are a little short, I'd prefer to do my rifle shooting at an outdoor range.

9) Lanes- lanes are well shielded from adjacent shooters' flying brass. The target rail is automated and they did an outstanding job of marking both the floor and the target track for distances.

10) Ammo - they have some on stock to sell- it appeared to be most of the common stuff 9mm; .45; .223; 7.62 variants. I brought my own so I can't determine ammo pricing.

Overall I'd give this place a 4.7 out of 5. Its a fantastic place to go if you are an individual shooter - or if you are sharing a lane with an experienced shooter. I'd prefer an outdoor that allows over the shoulder coaching with an inexperienced shooter. At least in the 8 min safety video we had to watch (one time event for all new customers) - one person has to leave the firing box before another could go in. I'll absolutely use their services again.

tenyart

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Indianapolis
    A buddy and I just went this past Saturday as well. I was very impressed and definitely will go back. They had a class going and asked if we minded shooting on the rifle lanes, which we didn't mind at all. Watched the short video when we got there. They also had a little table set up in the shop with coffee and some pastries, which I thought was a nice touch. The range officer (I think his name was either Tim or Jim; wasn't the owner Tim though), was extremely nice and helpful. He was talking it up with everyone and really made you feel welcome, no matter your experience level, he talked with everyone the same way. I'll be honest, I haven't been to any other indoor ranges, so I can't really compare...but I was thoroughly impressed and will definitely go back. I don't think the prices were too bad for the range. I will say I think the prices in the shop were a little high compared to other places I've shopped. Looking forward to going back!

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    Shooting cost me $22 for an hour and I had zero problems with getting my brass. I asked if It was allowed and the guy in the back pretty much pushed all my brass to my lane, so no problems getting 100% of my brass. Brought my own targets but did have to buy a piece of cardboard so my targets fit. The "hangers" there were a bit big for my targets so i understand. The air in there is very good, didnt have to blow a bunch of crap out of my nose after leaving like most indoor ranges. Overall i gotta say best range in the indy area.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    I stopped in to scope it out the other day, my only interest is getting back into a 22 bullseye league and they don't plan on having one so I'll just go back to using my own range where I can shoot the rat-a-tat toys they don't allow. :ar15:

I did notice 22lr ammo for range use was $9.99 per 100 round bag.

michaelw2608

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Shooting cost me $22 for an hour and I had zero problems with getting my brass. I asked if It was allowed and the guy in the back pretty much pushed all my brass to my lane, so no problems getting 100% of my brass. Brought my own targets but did have to buy a piece of cardboard so my targets fit. The "hangers" there were a bit big for my targets so i understand. The air in there is very good, didnt have to blow a bunch of crap out of my nose after leaving like most indoor ranges. Overall i gotta say best range in the indy area.

Went today and this was pretty much the exact experience I had. Plus I finally got to shoot my new p938 :)

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I was able to visit there the other day. I agree with the comments about the level of importance that is given to safety. I arrived to find that if I wanted to bring in my AR, I needed a case for it. This I did not know. " we have them for sale" I was told. No thanks..So to get a rifle into the building... you will need a case of some sort for it. I guess I am used to the open air field range I frequent and did not think of this. Luckily, my shooting partner had a case and I worked it out to bring in my rifle. Pistols are to be in a range bag.
    The safety video was approx. 9 minutes and a good watch.
    Shooting AR's... you will need to purchase their ammo. This is a concession made to the City of Westfield I was told. 100 rounds of Federal, with tax came out to $52 and change.
    Inside the range, the lanes and lines are clearly marked and there is a well informed gent working inside if you have any questions.
    I was asked if I wanted my brass. I declined. I noticed that the gentleman will sweep up into a pile any brass you want.
    The place can get packed. As I was leaving, the place was full of people.
    The air is clean... It's a new place...
    Inside the range there could be more places to store your things. The back wall could use some tables to reload.
    All in all, a good place to shoot.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I usually take all my guns (except the one on my hip) to the range in cases. I got a free pass to Tim's from Tim himself but I haven't gone yet. I don't like going shooting by myself so I have to decide who's gonna pony up the $$ to go with me. But I enjoy the reviews

JohnMcClane

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2014
    Indy
    I was there for my second trip on Friday afternoon and it was not too busy at all. The guys are always friendly. I'll be back.

Samplejs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    Went to Tim's last night with my father and daughter. Had a great time and as always everyone was very friendly and made for a great experience. At teh end of our visit everyone walked us out to my car to hear the exhaust on my CTS-V. Ended a great trip at the range with firendly car talk and laughter all around. Love that while they take safety very seriously, they are very laid back and like to joke and have fun with everything else. Sure I'll be back again in a week or so.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Good. Now I know where I can kill a few hours when I go to visit my son who is relocating to Westfield/Carmel.:rockwoot:

Holy crap! I just looked it up on google maps and it's right across the road from my son's apartment. I could actually walk there when I'm visiting them. Give me a double :rockwoot::rockwoot:

Last edited:

Bluestarbass

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2014
    Fishers
    Finally made it to Tim's. Super cool place. If I were taking a new shooter out, this is where I would take them. One of the nicest range officers I've ever been around, although I'm not sure I've met a mean one.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    Is Tim's allowing full auto shooting now? I know they didn't in the past but I saw where profire is going to be there in June with some machineguns.
    It's one day out of the week just can't remember the day. Monday I stopped by and signed up for the shooting league that is about to get started in June. I unusually take 2 or 3 of my kids I appreciate the safety officers it gives me that much more reassurance when on the firing line.

Last edited:

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Meh, I know it's BRAND NEW, but it's really expensive. Safety is important, but they are over the top with the ticky tack rules.

I really don't like the RO breathing down my neck for the first 15 minutes of my session, until he realizes this is not my first rodeo.... I don't like having to place all my firearms on the bench either. Nothing like having my $1000 revolver laying on a bench getting hit with spent cases ejecting from a semi auto.... IMHO, this is what a range would operate like in the USSR, if they were allowed to have guns...

Flame on. :flamethrower:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Meh, I know it's BRAND NEW, but it's really expensive. Safety is important, but they are over the top with the ticky tack rules.

I really don't like the RO breathing down my neck for the first 15 minutes of my session, until he realizes this is not my first rodeo.... I don't like having to place all my firearms on the bench either. Nothing like having my $1000 revolver laying on a bench getting hit with spent cases ejecting from a semi auto.... IMHO, this is what a range would operate like in the USSR, if they were allowed to have guns...

Flame on. :flamethrower:

We need more ranges!!!!11!! We don't have enough ranges!!!!!!!

A new range is opening!!!!1!1!!! Woohoo, I can't wait, a new range!!!!!!!

Man, this new range sucks!!!!!! The prices are too high and the rules suck!!!!!

Trods back off to my government, tax payer subsidized range.

hooligan317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2014
    Carmel
    I've been to Tim's a handful of times recently. Nice facility and friendly staff. Haven't had any issues with RO's at all. One did sit nearby and watch some of my session this last time but it was pretty dead that night and I assumed it was because watching someone shoot is more fun that doing nothing at all. The only thing I don't particularly care for (but understand) is having to use their ammo if you are shooting a rifle. I'm told it wasn't always that way but apparently someone went in and shot armor piercing rounds after showing the staff some typical .223/5.56. Either way, I would recommend Tim's without hesitation.

Top Bottom