• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HyenaReview

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Owensboro
    I'm looking for a place that can apply a Black or gray TiNi finish to firearms parts. Not interested in the regular gold finish. Any help would be appreciated.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I believe you are looking for TiN (nitride) family, with an "N" not "Ni", which would be nickel.
    AlTiN is black, hard, and higher temp range than TiN. There's a place in Dayton called Techmetals that does PVD stuff like this.
    Something tells me you won't like pricing, if they'll do it at all. This kind of tech is not small order, mom and pop shop stuff.

You might find someplace more tool oriented. Search up "PVD coatings" in towns around you. You might find something local and resonable.

If you want to go big, try Bodycoat. They are a huge world-wide metals and coatings company. They are sure to have something. Best would be to ask if you could ride along in the chamber with a big job. Again, price will probabaly suck... like by a few more nice guns kind of suck.

Good luck!

HyenaReview

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Owensboro
    I believe you are looking for TiN (nitride) family, with an "N" not "Ni", which would be nickel.
    AlTiN is black, hard, and higher temp range than TiN. There's a place in Dayton called Techmetals that does PVD stuff like this.
    Something tells me you won't like pricing, if they'll do it at all. This kind of tech is not small order, mom and pop shop stuff.

You might find someplace more tool oriented. Search up "PVD coatings" in towns around you. You might find something local and resonable.

If you want to go big, try Bodycoat. They are a huge world-wide metals and coatings company. They are sure to have something. Best would be to ask if you could ride along in the chamber with a big job. Again, price will probabaly suck... like by a few more nice guns kind of suck.

Good luck!

What got my attention is the finish on my Sog Twitch XL. I've carried it for 4 or 5 years with my keys constantly rubbing up against it, and there isn't a single scratch. Sog has the finish listed as Black TiNi. I searched for TiNi and it appears that is the Titanium Nitride used on tools, haven't seen anything about nickel. I'm not saying I know what I'm talking about either though lol. With the gold TiNi I have seen some fair prices, yet still expensive. I did some research and apparently the black TiNi is more or less a completely different process/method, so I'm wondering how that will effect price. I've also read all colors can be applied at different heats to avoid damaging heat treated metals.

I'm going to look into those places and see what else I can find. Thank you!

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    :yesway: I had not heard of TiNi, and now you have me interested enough to do some reading.

Okay....just read up. The only company selling TINI is SOG and it appears it's their marketing term for TiN, just as you had found too.
    If you want something that wears harder than nails in a black PVD coating, look to DLC or diamond like carbon. I have no idea how pricing varies among materials done by PVD. It may be that the vacuum chamber time and set-up is worth more than the very thin layer of material deposited.

Again... Good luck!

HyenaReview

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Owensboro
    Thank for follow up! I will look into the coating you suggested and see how they compare to the TiN. Right now it's all planning, but Christmas is coming and I need a project lol.

Top Bottom