• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Kodiak Firing Range & Training Facility, Inc. We recently began allowing .22 lead free rounds at our range. Here is a little bit of information on what we are seeing with these rounds.

Winchester has a tin bullet, lead free .22 round at 30 gr.

CCI has a copper/polymer lead free .22 round at 21 gr.

The CCI is less expensive but is hit and miss with semi-autos. With revolvers and lever actions etc. is works great.

If you are going to shoot a semi auto I might lien towards the Win. round as it is heavier. We have not seen a clear pattern of which semi-autos work and which do not with each type of ammo however it I think the CCI's work better in rifles than in handguns.

We have Winchester's coming in on Monday. We have a lot of CCI at Kodiak.

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    Can I have all the free - lead in .22?

Actually, thanks for the info - I will eventually use lead free if it works in my devices that rapidly accerate projectiles :D

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Just clarifying: OK, you're allowing lead free. Why would you not? Are you or are you not allowing lead ones? I would not choose to patronize an establishment that wouldn't allow lead.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Just clarifying: OK, you're allowing lead free. Why would you not? Are you or are you not allowing lead ones? I would not choose to patronize an establishment that wouldn't allow lead.
    Please check out our web site http://www.kociakrange.com
    We are an indoor range that features steel targets and for safety we do not allow lead due to ricochet potential of the copper jackets.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Ahh, ok, that makes sense, and since you're not rejecting lead just because it's lead, I wouldn't have a problem then. Safety is good.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009

Not Directed directly at you Mr. Evilwrench so don't take it personally.

We shoot steel in doors as close as ten feet on the standard range. Closer in the live fire shoothouse. We do get a few dumb asses that sneak lead into the range and they take lead and copper jacket schrapnel right between the eyes. It's funny how the same people who complain about having to shoot frangible at steel are also the ones who really complain when they ignore the rules, sneak in lead ammo and then take schrapnel right between the eyes.

So if you are dead set on only shooting lead be my guest however you will need to be my guest at someone else's range. Sorry for the rant.

Last edited:

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Same problem.

I wish I would have known, my fiance has been dying to shoot her P22. We went to Midwest today, and they were super busy so she didn't even shoot.

Deer gun season opened today. We had calls all day long about sighting in shotguns for deer season. The ironic thing was we went to the Regional Football Game last night, Bremen vs Wheeler. On the way were two deer eating just yards away from a deer hunters trailer (trailer in the same place every year for deer gun season). We had to laugh.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Well, my first inclination was for pure target shooting, but steel, yeah, I can see the problem. I don't mind using appropriate technologies, and I guess I just get a little worked up when it seems like somebody's PCing on some boogeyman like lead or freon or asbestos. Don't mind me, just running off at the mind. We won't need the restraints this time :)

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Lead free ammo

I fear we may have to get used to the idea of lead free ammo in an increasing number of places. Bird hunters are being required to use non-lead shot in a lot of places. The Rosebud Sioux Tribe has passed a regulation requiring non-lead frangible ammo for "small game" on the reservation. (FMJ was already prohibited) That includes prairie dogs but the jury is out as to when they will begin to enforce it. We tried some lead free .17 HMR, .204 Ruger, and .223 this year. I was less than impressed with the terminal performance and the centerfires will take some additional load development.

At close quarters on steel? Hard to argue with that but you know some will. Darwin will prevail!

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I fear we may have to get used to the idea of lead free ammo in an increasing number of places. Bird hunters are being required to use non-lead shot in a lot of places. The Rosebud Sioux Tribe has passed a regulation requiring non-lead frangible ammo for "small game" on the reservation. (FMJ was already prohibited) That includes prairie dogs but the jury is out as to when they will begin to enforce it. We tried some lead free .17 HMR, .204 Ruger, and .223 this year. I was less than impressed with the terminal performance and the centerfires will take some additional load development.

At close quarters on steel? Hard to argue with that but you know some will. Darwin will prevail!

Because we are using lead free ammo now we have been in contact with a few developers and I can tell you that there are some promising ideas out there one person has a lead free rifle round accurate out to 800 yards and a 260 grain 45.ACP bullet. Give it a little time manufactures are working it out.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Not Directed directly at you Mr. Evilwrench so don't take it personally.

We shoot steel in doors as close as ten feet on the standard range. Closer in the live fire shoothouse. We do get a few dumb asses that sneak lead into the range and they take lead and copper jacket schrapnel right between the eyes. It's funny how the same people who complain about having to shoot frangible at steel are also the ones who really complain when they ignore the rules, sneak in lead ammo and then take schrapnel right between the eyes.

So if you are dead set on only shooting lead be my guest however you will need to be my guest at someone else's range. Sorry for the rant.

Yeah, it was quite bad. I have never been in such close proximity to that many 12 gauges. I think of the 10 "public" lanes, 7 of them were shotguns. It was horrible.

Ever since I stopped by after you opened I have been meaning to pick up some lead free 9mm to load up. I still have 800+ plated though... I will definitely swing by for a quick session with the P22 in the meantime.

If more frangible options become available will you open up to more rifle calibers (7.62x39 for example) or will the limit always be .223?

Top Bottom