• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Load away...? I only use 147gr because I often shoot suppressed. Be sure to look at load data. Because of the longer bullet profile, you’ll actually use less gun powder than a similar bullet in 115-124gr, because of the higher pressures achieved. I’ve never been particularly picky about what I load. 1k or more with a good price gets me by for 6 months or so. I usually start mid load data, test and load up the rest. Non-jacketed leaves more smoke, but usually cheaper. If non-jacketed, check your seating die for live build up every 400 rounds or so. Mark the setting, remove the top of the die and clean, so you don’t experience setback caused by lube in the die top.

Fav power is unique, but I’ve also used tight group and long shot with great results.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    COAL extremely important with 147 grain bullets because of the length of the projectile. Do the plunk test many times to get as accurate as possible on correct COAL. Take caliper measurements to verify same. Always start loads low to mid-range power and see how the gun shoots. Always check your powder loads for accurate weights. Then load away!

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Read the postings by Wobbly below, a picture is worth a thousand words and it applies to any pistol.
    How to determine Max OAL for a CZ Pistol

Thanks. I've been following the various 147 grain threads on that forum, including the linked discussion you've given here. It's an excellent source. But just interested in INGO members' take here.

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I have loaded a lot of 147 grain 9mm they shoot great , I use titegroup 3.4 and just measured a factory load for AOL no problem feeding out of my M&P

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    I'm experimenting with Blue Dot now, as I would like to get some oomph behind the Gold Dots I'm loading...

Tight CZ and Sig chambers as well, so OAL plays a major factor.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    I have loaded a lot of 147 grain 9mm they shoot great , I use titegroup 3.4 and just measured a factory load for AOL no problem feeding out of my M&P

This load data is out of every book I have found.

That said This year in my development of a new 147 sns casting load with titegroup and the shorter OAL of 1.10 from 1.12 due to the gun not liking the longer bullets. I landed at 3.3 gr of titegroup. 145 PF and 992 fps. the gun likes it and no over pressure signs.

The reason I went so hot was because I was using this in three different stock guns and the heavy springs like them hotter than the power factor in the 130 range

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Just back from a range trip and had good results with Promo and plated 147 gr., as well as Blue Dot with 147 gr. jacketed hollow points (XTP and Gold Dot).

The plated 147s are actually very enjoyable to shoot, it feels like a substantial round but the recoil is very manageable. My 124 gr. plinking combo is not as enjoyable, although basically no recoil at all.

And 147 gr. is practically 230 gr., so it's almost like shooting my old 1911. :): Almost.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    After a second trip shooting 147 gr. Speer GD JHPs.

Bullet diameters are consistently .355 inches, and the case diameters of the finished cartridges are .380, while the diameter at the web is .390. So things seem in spec.

I was just out to the range with a lot of these, and no issues chambering or extracting, or signs of over-pressure. I'm loading these over 5.7 gr. of Alliant Blue Dot with an OAL of 1.10.

Getting excellent groups out to 15 yds. At 25 holding high to compensate for distance, so of course my shots were high. :)

The JHPs shoot well, as do the plated 147s from RMR Bullets. I'm amazed that 147 gr. are just a lot of fun, especially compared to the yappy little 115 gr. ankle-biter of a round.

Top Bottom