• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I don't like to have to empty my hoppers to load a new powder. The FPS I'm getting from my OP is good for me. I may try to bring the SD down under 10 but will take to the range first.

There's no nice way to put this: That's THE dumbest excuse I've ever heard for making a lousy powder choice work in a given cartridge. Do you also use Titegroup for your 223 and 308 loads? :rolleyes:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I just don't understand why people insist on using Titegroup in applications it simply isn't well-suited for, like in a magnum case. It is a false economy to use less powder, creating a situation where a double-charge is possible. You also give up considerable velocity (around 250fps, in this example) by choosing Titegroup instead of 2400, Li'l Gun or H110.

You can drive in framing nails with a tack hammer...but why would you? Use the right tool for the job.

There's no nice way to put this: That's THE dumbest excuse I've ever heard for making a lousy powder choice work in a given cartridge. Do you also use Titegroup for your 223 and 308 loads? :rolleyes:

Why exactly is it a bad thing Broom, to use small charges of fast burning powders in 38 special or 357 mag cases?
    It's not like 50 trillion 38 special lead bullet loads have been loaded with bullseye or 231 at 2.8 to 3.2 grains.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Why exactly is it a bad thing Broom, to use small charges of fast burning powders in 38 special or 357 mag cases?
    It's not like 50 trillion 38 special lead bullet loads have been loaded with bullseye or 231 at 2.8 to 3.2 grains.

One of the cardinal rules of reloading is to not use a powder/charge weight that can be double-charged and still allow a bullet to be seated. It's mentioned in pretty much every one of the 8 or 9 reloading manuals I've read, and it's just plain common sense. To use a very fast powder in a magnum case, where the best application is a much slower-burning powder, simply because you're too lazy to empty the hopper on the powder dispenser is...Darwinism waiting to happen.

I've loaded more than a few 38 Special cartridges...with Power Pistol, and a charge weight that can't be doubled without making a very obvious mess. I guess if some folks prefer this false economy over a reasonable safety measure, I'll just have to figure out how to be OK with that! :D

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Well yes and no Broom

One of the cardinal rules of reloading is to not use a powder/charge weight that can be double-charged and still allow a bullet to be seated. It's mentioned in pretty much every one of the 8 or 9 reloading manuals I've read, and it's just plain common sense. To use a very fast powder in a magnum case, where the best application is a much slower-burning powder, simply because you're too lazy to empty the hopper on the powder dispenser is...Darwinism waiting to happen.

I've loaded more than a few 38 Special cartridges...with Power Pistol, and a charge weight that can't be doubled without making a very obvious mess. I guess if some folks prefer this false economy over a reasonable safety measure, I'll just have to figure out how to be OK with that! :D

You are completely correct Broom, especially for the novice hand loader.

With that said, Clays has a point to the Gazillion of 2.8gr. of Bullseye under a 148gr. HBWC that have been fired..Heck, I may?? have loaded, and shot a few "Bazillion" myself??...Ha Ha...

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

Myself, I have never read that " Cardinal Rule" in any loading manuals that I own nor my vast collection of my best friend. What I do know is, every manual starts each bullet weight with the fastest powder and ends with the slowest burning powder.
    If the company's that make reloading products have this " Cardinal Rule " why would they print loading data that you could easily double charge?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN

So those who are working with limited space are making excuses? I have 2 hoppers one for Titegroup, and the other for BLC-2. I load for 9, 45, 38, and now 357 with Titegroup. I load 223/556, and eventually 7.62x39 with BLC-2. As far as double charges I have never had one because I check each time I dump on my 450. I have been reloading for the last 5yrs. I have learned from my novice mistakes when I first started out. This info is for those who have Titegroup and are wondering about using it for 357. Your criticism about Titegroup is noted but attacking me without knowing me is uncalled for. If you don't like this thread just walk on by.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Myself, I have never read that " Cardinal Rule" in any loading manuals that I own nor my vast collection of my best friend. What I do know is, every manual starts each bullet weight with the fastest powder and ends with the slowest burning powder.
    If the company's that make reloading products have this " Cardinal Rule " why would they print loading data that you could easily double charge?

:yesway: You can have a double charge without a mess. On a progressive if your not looking for it you can double charge and then seat that bullet compressing that load while still reaching your OAL.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    :yesway: You can have a double charge without a mess. On a progressive if your not looking for it you can double charge and then seat that bullet compressing that load while still reaching your OAL.
    I just double loaded 9mm with 8g of Titegroup, no issue seating the bullet to the COAL. So I guess we can't use Titegroup for 9s now? I don't see how you can double charge on a progressive, doesn't the plate rotate with each pull of the handle? Just wanting to learn something new and not making value judgments here :)

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I just double loaded 9mm with 8g of Titegroup, no issue seating the bullet to the COAL. So I guess we can't use Titegroup for 9s now? I don't see how you can double charge on a progressive, doesn't the plate rotate with each pull of the handle? Just wanting to learn something new and not making value judgments here :)

I have a dillon 450 where I have to manually dump, spin, and prime. I could automate some of the steps, But I'm not shooting competitions. Cranking out 300-500 per hr is fine with me. There's a reason there are millions of loads out there for pretty much any round you want. Its a science. I also plan on reloading 38 S&W with Titegroup too.

And your not making value judgements, or waltzing in like you invented reloading. Different strokes for different folks.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I have a dillon 450 where I have to manually dump, spin, and prime. I could automate some of the steps, But I'm not shooting competitions. Cranking out 300-500 per hr is fine with me. There's a reason there are millions of loads out there for pretty much any round you want. Its a science. I also plan on reloading 38 S&W with Titegroup too.

And your not making value judgements, or waltzing in like you invented reloading. Different strokes for different folks.

The double charge is really tough to do on a 450 Dillon, much less any progressive press.
    Now a short charge can easily be done on a 450.
    I know a friend that short charged a 44 mag load on his 450, it destroyed a super Blackhawk.

BrianT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2017
    Butlerville
    Just a word of caution here, Titegroup is the scariest powder on earth in these big volume cartridges. I made some .357s with it that felt extremely mild working up a load using my LEE discs. The ladder loads felt virtually no different but right at max all 8 of my cases had to be pounded out. It will turn on you fast and it won't sound blasty or feel overly hot. No more Titegroup for .357 for me but I use it almost exclusively in 9mm, .40, .45, and .38. My go to mid load .357 powder is Longshot or Power Pistol whichever is available at the time. Longshot seems to drop a little more consistently.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Just a word of caution here, Titegroup is the scariest powder on earth in these big volume cartridges. I made some .357s with it that felt extremely mild working up a load using my LEE discs. The ladder loads felt virtually no different but right at max all 8 of my cases had to be pounded out. It will turn on you fast and it won't sound blasty or feel overly hot. No more Titegroup for .357 for me but I use it almost exclusively in 9mm, .40, .45, and .38. My go to mid load .357 powder is Longshot or Power Pistol whichever is available at the time. Longshot seems to drop a little more consistently.

QFT!

When testing loads in a revolver, they are loaded and fired singly. If even ONE has to be "pounded out" of the cylinder, no more from that group of cartridges need be fired! :nono: :runaway:

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011

Have used both power pistol and Longshot in 357 mag with 125 jhp. Longshot performed better with 125 jhp. Both run fine through the powder measure the best of my memory. Years ago knew guys that swore by Unique for 357 mag and 158 jhp running max loads.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    I think the loads you are using are fine. Not the best thing for the job but serviceable. The inter webs would have you believe titegroup is Satan himself incarnate but it really just requires caution. I don't load to max with it looking for pressure signs. Find a middle of the road load and stick with it. There have been millions of magnum rounds loaded with powder that you can double charge (red dot,bullseye) and powders like TG that are very pressure sensitive (w296). Use caution and happy shooting!

Top Bottom