• ...and so much more!
  • Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    My gawd, Red Dot must be stored with Bigfoot and unicorns, so I decided to switch brands after 40 years of reloading and stumbled upon Titegroup with loading data for shotguns. I use it for my pistols and decided to give it a try. I’ve got 5 test loads ready to go for tomorrow but before I blow myself up I just wondered if anybody has tried this? I’m comfortable with it for my pistols but 15.8 grains of instant hell has me a little nervy.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I thought Red Dot was primarily shotgun powder, but I don't know jack about reloading shotshells, so...
    It is primarily shotgun powder but works awesome in pistols. Problem is I can’t find Red Dot for shotgun shells so trying Titegroup. I guess my explanation wasn’t worded right. Sorry for the confusion.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I was in the same boat. Had bought 8 pounds of W244 thinking I could use it for shotguns too. No load data anywhere. Ended up with a nice load for it from mild cowboy loads to hurt the shoulder buckshot loads.
    The pressures are going to be much lower for it in the shotgun but you will probably end up buying a couple new bushings to find the load you like.
    Luck to ya.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It is said that Remington Nitro 27 shells use a commercial grade of TiteGroup.

I loaded multiple kegs of TiteGroup powder in 12 gauge trap shooting loads. TiteGroup is a compact powder so I had to use 1 oz wads with 1-1/8 oz shot to get a proper stack height for a good crimp. It performs well.

*****There is a TiteWad powder offered, it is completely different, do not get it confused*****

I did not like it for the very slow and soft shooting loads that are about 1000 fps. It had too many unburned flakes. The normal 1150 to 1200 fps loads were fine.

The one problem was the powder bushings with my MEC did not really have the correct size. I took a smaller bushing, filed the size numbers off the side and painted it red so that I would never git it mixed up in the future (safety first) Then I filed out the hole, a little at a time until it threw the exact amount I wanted.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    It is said that Remington Nitro 27 shells use a commercial grade of TiteGroup.

I loaded multiple kegs of TiteGroup powder in 12 gauge trap shooting loads. TiteGroup is a compact powder so I had to use 1 oz wads with 1-1/8 oz shot to get a proper stack height for a good crimp. It performs well.

*****There is a TiteWad powder offered, it is completely different, do not get it confused*****

I did not like it for the very slow and soft shooting loads that are about 1000 fps. It had too many unburned flakes. The normal 1150 to 1200 fps loads were fine.

The one problem was the powder bushings with my MEC did not really have the correct size. I took a smaller bushing, filed the size numbers off the side and painted it red so that I would never git it mixed up in the future (safety first) Then I filed out the hole, a little at a time until it threw the exact amount I wanted.
    Thanks Leo, it was exactly the info I was looking for. I knew I could get it here. You mentioned Nitro 27 hulls and that exactly what I’m using. You are right about the Mec bushing. My #16 dropped 4/10ths under 15.8 which is middle of the road. Think I’ll give it try like it is. Thanks again for the real world info.

Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom