• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    On a bolt gun in particular, I would not brake. And brakes typically do not suppress flash. They rather redirect it.

Main reason for a brake would be to achieve minimal muzzle climb during semi auto firing for faster follow up shots. You won't see the benefit on a bolt gun in my opinion.

I was more concerned with the recoil reduction actually.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If you get a quality break, it will cut down on recoil. Plus, if you are already paying a smith, getting it threaded then would be the time to do it so the coating afterwards all matches, and if you ever want to suppress its already threaded.

I am partial to a vias break.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have the same gun, to me it doesn't recoil enough to justify a break. But if you decide you want one installed I can help ;)

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    The recoil of that caliber really doesn't warrant a break, unless for no other reason than you just want one. In which case is cool, but they are loud! An not to mention take into consideration that they care be a PITA if you shoot prone any since they tend to kick up all kinds of dust.

Jdubbs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Dearborn County
    I have 3 threaded 308s. 2 of which have brakes. Looks and muzzle rise was my reasonings. Personally i like them, but people at the range dont appreciate them. I shoot at a range with shelter type covering metal roof. Ontop of that roof there are broken clays ontop and 4x4 posts about every 8ft to hold the structure. When i shoot, clays fall and the posts thump. Cleans the roof, but my first time shooting there the clays were a surprise.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The pros / cons of a brake on a bolt rifle are many. Does the recoil bother you? If so, I'd get one. For me, I tend to not think it's necessary on the non magnum calibers though.
    Two things you can do in lieu of the brake are A) add weight to the stock, and / or B) install a mercury recoil suppressor. Both can do wonders, without the additional abusive blast of a brake.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    I shoot several heavy recoiling handguns(Contenders,and Encores)-------I long ago learned the value of a good muzzle break ----------E.A.Brown has several quality breaks-----on my 45-70,I had a "JP Howitzer"break installed-------now-the felt recoil is close to a 357----The JP is not the most attractive item------but I will take ugly over another hairline fracture.
    Brown has several types of muzzle breaks some much better looking than the JP----all of the ones I have tried work well.

tallend

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I have a break on my .308 gun, the Silencer Co Specwar trifecta brake specifically. My reason was not so much to reduce recoil, which it did, as to help eliminate muzzle rise so I can spot my shots. I enjoy shooting it more now with the brake than I did without.

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    You can get a brake that does not have slots on the bottom so it does not kick up dust.
    I also like being able to spot my shots with a 308, go for it !

Top Bottom