• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I have a chance to purchase a new in box colt sp1 never fired 1968. Has sling scope bayonet all in new unused condition.

The question is would this be worth buying and for what reason. It is not really my thing to collect. I'm a modern battle rifle collector generally. Why buy 1968 when I can have 2013. Not a sexy gun to me.

Help me see the beauty in the beast.

Just looking for some thoughts from those in the know.

Thanks

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    It is probably priced correctly. It is no bargain for sure. I just don't know if these guns have some advantage over new ones.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    For cool factor sure but the platform has evolved into a way better shooter

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    My AR is actually a 1968 SP1 and I'm trying to decide whether to sell it in it's original configuration with the 20" upper and fixed stock or leave it with the carbine upper I've had on it. I don't know how much value the original gun would be as a collector's item.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Well as I stated I am a collector. I usually collected because I like the gun or there is a good cost to value ratio.

I have many guns that are not modern battle rifles but I made the decision to purchase those guns anyway. Like everything else in this life its all about the money. Would his be a possible good investment or not. Or if there is something special about these guns that make them more valuable.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    To me it depends on price. SP1's were selling as low as $850 to $950 not too long ago(pre panic). If I could get an early one from the sixties in that price or just a bit more I'd jump on it. If its $2000 like most are priced at I would pass. It's a small market. Guys want new features. Collectors probably already have one.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    To me it depends on price. SP1's were selling as low as $850 to $950 not too long ago(pre panic). If I could get an early one from the sixties in that price or just a bit more I'd jump on it. If its $2000 like most are priced at I would pass. It's a small market. Guys want new features. Collectors probably already have one.

Pretty good advice. I have noticed a trend towards the "Retro Rifle" as of late. I recently built a Retro Carbine with the short triangular hand guards and collapsible stock. There is a following for such rifles and if the price is right you might be alright but if it's like most prices now I'd pass. :twocents:

pmorriso

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Pre-panic prices it would be worth it to collect. I wouldn't buy one at $2000 to collect. I'd rather buy something else. To each there own though.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    The only real advantage to the SP1 is the bolt carrier group. If you have a registered lightning link it's the one you need. Other than that, they're just cool retro guns. If the price is right, would make a nice safe queen.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I wouldn't buy a SP1 as a collector unless it was at minimum a 4 digit serial number. 3 would be much better. I passed up a 3 digit at a gunshow once for $1500 and have kicked myself every since.

I SBR'd my SP1 and put an original XM177 upper on it and an original NFA Colt Moderator. It's hella-cool and fun to shoot.

Top Bottom