• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanSwanky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Springfield
    We Can all agree on one thing and that is that this young man who is considering his gun rights on campus is 99.9% likely to Not be pursuing a liberal arts degree.

hoosierglock40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I also spend almost everyday on IUPUI campus. There is no LAW prohibiting carry, it is school policy that doesn't allow it. You'll be expelled if caught. conceal well and keep your mouth shut or leave it at home. The risk vs reward is different for everyone

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    I get what you're saying, but I disagree with the "law" part. There is now LAW that prohibits carry on IUPUI campus, but there is school policy. I'm not advocating that you break policy or any laws when I say that the only thing that I believe would happen to you if put in the scenario that you described would be your termination as a student at IUPUI.

That was what I meant...I know the situation I mentioned would end up with me no longer at IUPUI. I guess "eyes of the law" wasn't what I wanted, more of the eyes of the school...thank you for the correction

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    That was what I meant...I know the situation I mentioned would end up with me no longer at IUPUI. I guess "eyes of the law" wasn't what I wanted, more of the eyes of the school...thank you for the correction

Of course, if you're found out because you've had to conduct a defensive gun use, then getting expelled because you were in possession of a firearm yields the same result as if you've not had the firearm, and were yourself killed. Either way: you're no longer a student there. Given the two choices, I'd rather be a living former student than a dead former student.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Of course, if you're found out because you've had to conduct a defensive gun use, then getting expelled because you were in possession of a firearm yields the same result as if you've not had the firearm, and were yourself killed. Either way: you're no longer a student there. Given the two choices, I'd rather be a living former student than a dead former student.

Agreed, which is what someone meant in a previous post when they said the pros and cons were different for everyone. I do not have anything but a .22, I've never carried, and I don't think it would be a good idea to start carrying at school without knowing how to truly conceal well. That, along with where I spend my time like I said, is why I don't carry, though I would love to and will as soon as I move out.

councilman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Danville
    How does IC 34-28-7-2 not apply?
    Indiana Code 34-28-7

IC 34-28-7-2
    Regulation of employees' firearms and ammunition by employers
    Sec. 2. (a) Notwithstanding any other law and except as provided in subsection (b), a person may not adopt or enforce an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that:
    (1) prohibits; or
    (2) has the effect of prohibiting;
    an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle.

I did state this incorrectly. What I meant is there is nothing in state statute that keeps you from keeping a firearm locked in your car out of sight in the FedEx employee parking lot.

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    I will be the odd man out and answer your question different than probably everyone else. I have the license for target shooting and hunting with a handgun and the guns to carry but never do. Just never felt the need to.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I have been reading and learning for a while, and thought of something this morning on my way to work. It seems as if nearly everyone on this forum carries, either OC or CC, almost everywhere. It got me thinking, since I do not carry, how many others on here do not carry everywhere they go.

The reason I don't carry is because of where I spend 95% of my time during the week. I am a student at IUPUI, and you aren't supposed to carry at school. I work at FedEx, and aren't supposed to have weapons even in the parking lot, and obviously can't get them in the building. Then I go home, where I live with my parents, who don't really think firearms are for self defense, and aren't really on board with having a loaded firearm available if something were to happen. I've tried explaining it, and obviously I don't have to listen to them, but I'd prefer to respect my parents while I'm in their house...but that isn't the point.

Basically, the only time I would be able to have a firearm is in my vehicle, and I don't really want to leave a firearm in my car when I leave it unattended for 8+ hours a day, either at IUPUI or at work. I'm curious if there are any other members of INGO that have similar situations, and either do not carry or have found some other solution.
    If you're interested in pushing for the right to carry at IUPUI, look into their chapter of Students for Concealed Carry.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I feel bad for the OP. I work in a non-permissive environment but do keep one locked in the car, out of sight. The main reason I bother to take a gun and mags to work in my trunk instead of leaving them at home is that I am old enough to have followed the Rodney King verdict chaos on TV while it happened. I remember the video of Reginald Denny being pulled from his truck by an angry crowd and beaten near to death for no reason. That image is why I go to the trouble to carry in the vehicle when I cannot carry on my body. The OP lives in a completely non-permissive environment while at home, work and school. Take heart in the fact that it will not last forever.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I feel bad for the OP. I work in a non-permissive environment but do keep one locked in the car, out of sight. The main reason I bother to take a gun and mags to work in my trunk instead of leaving them at home is that I am old enough to have followed the Rodney King verdict chaos on TV while it happened. I remember the video of Reginald Denny being pulled from his truck by an angry crowd and beaten near to death for no reason. That image is why I go to the trouble to carry in the vehicle when I cannot carry on my body. The OP lives in a completely non-permissive environment while at home, work and school. Take heart in the fact that it will not last forever.
    So how are you going to get to your firearm if it's in the trunk and you're being ripped out of your vehicle?

Top Bottom