• ...and so much more!
  • Hutchelly@1121

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2021
    Beech Grove
    I am still very new to the reloading world and just got my holiday lock and load press and Lee dies. It did not come with a crimping die I am reloading 308 for hunting and more precision shooting out of bolt actions. Is crimping needed

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    For a bolt gun, your Lee sizing die should provide sufficient neck tension (the amount of grip on the bullet). If you decide to go down the rabbit hole of precision reloading, there are a number of tools and methods for controlling your neck tension.

There is nothing wrong with crimping and it's a personal choice. I do not crimp any bottleneck rounds for bolt guns.

Last edited:

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I am still very new to the reloading world and just got my holiday lock and load press and Lee dies. It did not come with a crimping die I am reloading 308 for hunting and more precision shooting out of bolt actions. Is crimping needed
    Old man Lee makes some VERY compelling arguments for crimping. You'll find this is heated topic among precision shooters.. I personally believe in a light crimp because if trimming etc are done properly, a light crimp can ensure that you are getting the same pressure build before release... I will say you can accomplish the same thing by controlling neck tension. It's art crafting the perfect round and then there is just reloading. Read Lee's logic for crimping before you decide.. I will say you can accomplish the same results either way.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    As others have stated:
    semi auto - crimp
    Bolt gun - no crimp

I never crimp bottle-neck cartridges for bolt or single shot rifles or pistols.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Old man Lee makes some VERY compelling arguments for crimping. You'll find this is heated topic among precision shooters.. I personally believe in a light crimp because if trimming etc are done properly, a light crimp can ensure that you are getting the same pressure build before release... I will say you can accomplish the same thing by controlling neck tension. It's art crafting the perfect round and then there is just reloading. Read Lee's logic for crimping before you decide.. I will say you can accomplish the same results either way.

Yet for BR, ELR, and F-Open—disciplines that require the most guilt-edged accuracy to win—the majority of the winners would never dream of crimping anything. They’d crimp their hair before doing something like that to their loaded rounds.

There is a whole lot more to the bullet release picture than just mechanical tension or artificially-generated tension in the form of a crimp.

I totally agree that there are multiple ways to accomplish the “perfect round”.

I’ve used most of the approaches available for rifle bottleneck rounds, and I use different approaches for different rifles, even now.

One of the best things a shooter can buy for their ammunition performance is a pencil and notebook.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Yet for BR, ELR, and F-Open—disciplines that require the most guilt-edged accuracy to win—the majority of the winners would never dream of crimping anything. They’d crimp their hair before doing something like that to their loaded rounds.

There is a whole lot more to the bullet release picture than just mechanical tension or artificially-generated tension in the form of a crimp.

I totally agree that there are multiple ways to accomplish the “perfect round”.

I’ve used most of the approaches available for rifle bottleneck rounds, and I use different approaches for different rifles, even now.

One of the best things a shooter can buy for their ammunition performance is a pencil and notebook.
    Yeah, you definitely have to track your results. Ive got a notebook full of data that suggests you can get similar results with a light crimp that you can get with neck turning , correct bushing size etc. Not to say those things shouldn't be done.. there definitely comes a point when wall thickness of the neck has to much variation.. I think in short my opinion is you can get the same results either way (assuming you have other factors within a reasonable tolerance)
    I will mention one thing I have seemed to notice is if you are bushing sizing your neck, you need to measure the force it takes to seat the bullet( my k&m with force kit does that very well) and if your seeing a variance in force needed, goto next smaller bushing and it seems to solve that problem (this is all assuming you have consistent annealing practices, reasonable tolerances on neck wall thicknessl) one thing for sure at 1000 yards or even 500, the slightest inconsistencies will show themselves

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I sold my K&M low force because I decided it did not equate to lower velocity spread and resultant elevation.

Want a Neil Jones .223 mic seater for your K&M? 3, 4? bushings. Make you a helluva deal.

Nothing wrong with it, I am just not interested in shooting 1,000 yard .223 anymore.

Hutchelly@1121

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2021
    Beech Grove
    How much tension do you have, what type of bullets are you loading?
    168 grain sierra match king BTHP, nopt sure the tension. i know i cant pull it out with bare hands. Need bullet puller for that. Mine will mainly be recreational shooting and hunting. As long as my hunting rounds are accurate I’m happy. Once things settle down and I can find ammo and powder I’ll get more into precision shooting

Hutchelly@1121

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2021
    Beech Grove
    I sold my K&M low force because I decided it did not equate to lower velocity spread and resultant elevation.

Want a Neil Jones .223 mic seater for your K&M? 3, 4? bushings. Make you a helluva deal.

Nothing wrong with it, I am just not interested in shooting 1,000 yard .223 anymore.
    Pm me

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've found that even 38 special rds need a crimp. I've had a few creep forward while shooting my lite weight Ruger LCRx, and my mother's Taurus 85 when I decided they shouldn't need a crimp. It showed me otherwise. 44mag definitely gets a good crimp.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I've found that even 38 special rds need a crimp. I've had a few creep forward while shooting my lite weight Ruger LCRx, and my mother's Taurus 85 when I decided they shouldn't need a crimp. It showed me otherwise. 44mag definitely gets a good crimp.
    I would agree definitely crimp 44spc, 44mag, 357 mag, 38spc, 38super.. almost all semi auto handgun rounds except 9mm and 380.. probably a couple others I forgot, crimp ALL AR platform rounds.. as far as bolt goes, I won't get into those weeds lol..

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    As said upthread, the topic of crimping can get HEATED....

For ME=Most all get some kind of crimp-Roll or Tapered, except Bolt Guns.
    Also as said upthread, most pressure (Case Neck Tension) is controlled in the size process.

I have found that the easy way to increase neck tension (In two die, rifle dies), is to SLIGHTLY sand down the expander button (or plug if you will). The smaller the expander, the tighter the neck tension.
    Segregation of your brass brands, and case wall thickness goes well with this process.

AGAIN Each to His own..Bill.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    More years back than I care to think about when I started reloading I loaded up some rounds that worked well in my 700. I put 20 in a box and put them in my hunting pack.

When I got out to my Dad's place. I unloaded my gear and went in to check with Dad.

I went to load the rifle and noticed that the bullets were at different lengths in the brass. They had moved.

After that I crimp everything.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Me, I do not crimp anything! I did polish. 0005 thousands off the expander, to give me just a little bite on the bullet, but no crimp.
    This one of those i don't know, what I don't know sorta things, so while visiting a well know area at camp perry, I asked and listened to several well know guys explain why THEY do not crimp.

So crimp a few, don't crimp a few shoot for groups, let the targets tell you

Top Bottom