• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Anything that penetrates the skin can potentially cause an infection that will cause death. Not liketly, though. Any chemical or foreign substance introduced into the body can potentially cause an allergic reaction that can cause death. Not likely though.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I always get the flu shot. One of the hospitals where I have privilege requires it. So even though my hospital doesn't require it, I still had to get it. I had Influenza A 10 years ago. I was so ill. I did nothing but lay on the couch for days. My doctor was about to put me in the hospital when I started on the uphill swing. I had received the shot, but that was the year the vaccine makers misjudged which strands to include.

Last edited:

Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    The last flu shot I had was 25 years ago, got sick as hell a week or so later.
    That being said, in 2000 I got the flu. A week later I was in the hospital with pneumonia.
    Luckily I was only 30 years old, they said if I had been 60 I wouldn't have made it.
    2 weeks in the hospital, 4 days with a chest tube for the collapsed lung and 2 months before I started to feel normal.
    The flu might not kill you but the pneumonia after could.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Got my shot on Monday. $17 at the Brown County Health Dept. :yesway:
    The only symptom I can identify was a very slight shoulder pain the next day. However, that could have been anything. I'm in my middle 50's. Lots of annoying minor pains is the norm.

I'm not big on medical stuff, but now the shingles shot has me intrigued? Anyone had it? Side effects? Cost?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The last flu shot I had was 25 years ago, got sick as hell a week or so later.
    That being said, in 2000 I got the flu. A week later I was in the hospital with pneumonia.
    Luckily I was only 30 years old, they said if I had been 60 I wouldn't have made it.
    2 weeks in the hospital, 4 days with a chest tube for the collapsed lung and 2 months before I started to feel normal.
    The flu might not kill you but the pneumonia after could.

They think the big flu epidemic in early 1900s was a bad strain if MSSA (instead of MRSA) that hit the already ill people. A few years ago we saw a LOT of bad bacterial pneumonia with flu patients. That's why those with pulmonary conditions should probably get the flu shot.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So a few hours ago I was feeling a little odd. Kind of achey and weak, which got worse over the ensuing couple of hours. And then I realized I had that warm fever feeling behind my eyes. Temp is 99.8 deg F, which is elevated a little more than 2 deg F from my normal.

I don't seem to have any respiratory symptoms, which has always been the first thing I noticed with flu or colds.

rhino has a mystery illness and he DOES NOT LIKE IT.

That is all.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    So a few hours ago I was feeling a little odd. Kind of achey and weak, which got worse over the ensuing couple of hours. And then I realized I had that warm fever feeling behind my eyes. Temp is 99.8 deg F, which is elevated a little more than 2 deg F from my normal.

I don't seem to have any respiratory symptoms, which has always been the first thing I noticed with flu or colds.

rhino has a mystery illness and he DOES NOT LIKE IT.

That is all.
    animals-virus-flu-rhinovirus-rhino-rhinoceros-lfin341_low.jpg

mattyd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    I am in the no flu shot camp.
    Several in the office get the shot....seems like they always end up sick from it.
    I prefer to try and eat healthy, use hand sanitizer regularly, exercise, get some fresh air and it seems to work for me.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    For those of you who got a flu shot before, did you have a time where you would be cold and then hours later wake up sweating. I was also very tired last night. My wife said that happened to her a few times but not this year. I also did some google searching and it was a side affect. As long as it helps me not get the flu as bad if I was to get it, it is worth it.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I'll probably catch hell for this, because apparently it "can't" happen, but the only time I got the flu, actual flu that landed me in the hospital for 2 days, was when I got a flu shot.

Never again.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I'll probably catch hell for this, because apparently it "can't" happen, but the only time I got the flu, actual flu that landed me in the hospital for 2 days, was when I got a flu shot.

Never again.

Something to think about is that the flu vaccine only covers so many strains. This year, the most common strain is not in the flu shot. That doesn't mean the flu shot is 100% ineffective. It means that the flu shot covers certain strains but should soften the blow of the flu if you were to get it. Regardless, i got it because my wife is a nurse and I don't want her to get sick and miss work.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy

Never again.

Your getting the flu had absolutely nothing to do with getting the flu shot. You got the flu shot, and you happened to get the flu. It happens. Were you diagnosed with the flu within 2 weeks of getting the shot, by chance?

Top Bottom