To get a snow blower... or not a snow blower...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Here is the video [time-lapse] of me clearing my drive. No music [boring, I know] I will add some later.

[video=youtube;TvPLqB8Zk_g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvPLqB8Zk_g&feature=youtu.be[/video]

So what do you think - should I pick up a snow blower? :)
    Dude, you definitely need a snowblower.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I'm not super concerned with having it for/during this upcoming snowpocalypse - but more for in the future as I'm just getting tired of clearing snow - especially the stuff at the end of the drive that they plow up into my drive since I'm on a cul-de-sac.

Trying to stick with one available on Amazon Prime - will save me a ton on shipping. Freight for one of these things without it is $100~150 from what I've seen but $0 for Amazon Prime.

Based upon that statement... 2-stage is the only way to go. Thick, wet, high snow at the end of the drive is tough on any machine. Don't even think about a single stage.... it'll be like a puppy dog nippin' at your heels. ;)

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Get an an army of trained cats. Yeah, I know, cats are horribly evil creatures but an army with invisible snow shovels can give hours of entertainment AND a clean drive...but you'd still have cats. Also, if you go the snowblower route it doesn't hurt to keep extra spark plugs around. Seems that was the one thing that was overlooked when put away last spring. Had no extras, good thing Advanced Auto and VatoZone are close because the farm and fleet didn't have the one we needed or the old guy wasn't sure how to use the computer or books and they just had them in big bins all mixed up.

zpfy8dc.jpg

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I also want to know how much was paid for it...

Paid something like $1200 for the Toro at Henthorn. Honda engine and it cranks out the power. My 9hp Craftsman was not as powerful. I was throwing the damp snow 50 feet at least.

Funny story about Henthorn. My Craftsman had been stolen out of my garage with about 6K worth of stuff, bikes, tools, etc. The perps were later caught off of 16th street (never got anything back). They were using a used white windowless van and I had seen it in the neighborhood and it looked suspicious as it drove slowly by my drive one day. When I went to Henthorn's and told them the story, it turns out the van was a van they had gotten rid of. The police wanted to know if they wanted the van back but they said no.

pgfrmr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Fishers
    Dude your justified but you probably only need a single stage. Honda and toro make fine single stage blowers. Got a Honda a few years ago and couldn't be happier. Cheers!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Dude your justified but you probably only need a single stage. Honda and toro make fine single stage blowers. Got a Honda a few years ago and couldn't be happier. Cheers!
    Can't rule out having a gravel driveway in the future and don't want to buy twice [if I can help it].

That said - I went the extreme route and just got a 4x4 Truck to drive in the winter and will just keep the car in the garage in the winter... LOL

Will likely still be picking up a snow blower but it's less of a priority and more of a 'want' at this point.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I just bought a snow blower the day before snowmagenden a few weeks ago. The $500 22-inch two-stage model looked so big sitting on the shelf at Menards that my testosterone went up five points just buying it. However, after putting it into use I wish I had gone with the $1,000 30" model with power reverse. (Even the wife commented that I should have bought the larger model.) Having a gravel driveway is definitely a bummer when trying to use a snow blower. I had to adjust the skids all the way up to keep it from becoming a roto-tiller.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We purchased this Ariens last month and have used it twice during the last snow fall. Even if we only get 3"-6", it is the drifts we get living in an open area that makes this snow blower pay for itself. I am sure it will get a work out today if the snow fall predictions are accurate.
    product_3252_500.jpg

We have the exact same machine (couple of years older though) and it is great. That said it was out of your price range.

Try a pawn shop. You can possibly find something way nicer/way cheaper or cheap enough to be able to justify it.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    We have the exact same machine (couple of years older though) and it is great. That said it was out of your price range.

Try a pawn shop. You can possibly find something way nicer/way cheaper or cheap enough to be able to justify it.
    I can buy the tracked Ariens I just don't want to spend that much money :).

calum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    N.Central Indiana
    Don't get it. Shoveling in the winter replaces mowing in the summer as a good opportunity to be outside and get some exercise. I spend too much time at a desk during the week; I look forward to an excuse to be outside and moving.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've thought about buying a snowblower, but I know that as soon as I did, Indiana would see the longest snow-drought in history... :): I generally can get by with my leafblower as long as it's not too deep and heavy. I've cleared 8-12" of powdery stuff with no problem, although I do look a little like Frosty the Snowman by the time I'm done...

Wash your truck and it's going to rain, take an umbrella with you and it's going to be dry.
    Since I've had all the snow I want to see for a while....Please buy a snow blower.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I can buy the tracked Ariens I just don't want to spend that much money :).

I'd get the platinum 30...heated handles, remote deflector control, 6 speed forwards and 2 speed reverse, and a 30" clearing deck...About $1600 bucks or so, totally worth it if it last a long time.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Mike, your driveway looks slightly longer than most of the driveways in my neighborhood. I would get a snowblower. I really wished I had one after we got 13" of snow a couple weeks ago.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Don't get it. Shoveling in the winter replaces mowing in the summer as a good opportunity to be outside and get some exercise. I spend too much time at a desk during the week; I look forward to an excuse to be outside and moving.

Says the guy that never missed 3 months of work because of his back.

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    MTD makes most of the small snow blowers.
    Have a look at their web page.

I don't have a lot to clear, but I'm getting old enough that I wanted a blower to reduce my labor.
    The small single stage electric start works fine, and it's small enough that I can wrestle it around without breaking my back.

Shop around after looking at the MTD web page.
    You'll find quite a difference in price for the same machine.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    The Troy Bilt 2 stage blowers are recommended by Consumer Reports and are reasonably priced. The single stage gas blowers are worth looking at around these parts since we don't typically see the 8-12" of snow. They have a higher maintenance cost because you'll need to replace the rubber "scrubbers" every few years. If you aren't comfortable working on small engines yourself I'd recommend an extended warranty. Make sure if you get one you feed it fresh gas (not year old stuff with Sta-Bil), it does make a difference.

Top Bottom