To get a snow blower... or not a snow blower...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    So... We're going to be getting a fair bit of snow - I did look at getting one a few weeks ago but was like, 'Nah, shoveling the snow is good exercise.'

That said - I'm getting a little tired of shoveling... Debating picking up a blower.

I can get a one-stage electric pretty cheap and my driveway is more wide than long and I have a 25, 50, and 100ft extension cord but I'm wondering if I should just go ahead for a 2-stage gas. Ultimately I don't have a lot to clear and it's all paved but it would be nice to not have to do it all manually.

The biggest issue is that I don't see any brands I recognize. This one seems to have decent reviews on Amazon:
    Amazon.com: Power Smart DB7659A 22-inch 208cc LCT Gas Powered Compact 2-Stage Snow Thrower with Electric Start: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Ideally I'd like to stay under $800 and ~500 would be best but I have no issues paying a little more for a quality machine that will last.

Anywho... I'm open to thoughts and suggestions as I'm on the fence.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Get the gas. For any snowfall big enough for a thrower to actually make a difference, the electric throwers just don't seem to have enough power.

Like you I got tired of digging out so I broke down and got myself a snow-thrower this winter (well actually two snow-throwers.) One is nine years old and the other will be 7 this month, so I figure they should be good for years to come.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    single stage bogs down in heavy, wet snow, but will clear down to the pavement. two stages are good if you have a LOT of snow, wet snow, or need to clear gravel, but often leave a thin layer of snow. (two stages have skids you can drop to keep the auger out of the gravel and leave a small ( less than 1/8") layer of snow)

My neighbor across the street is annoying. He will start his single stage at 4am (his normal wakeup) and be out clearing his drive in the middle of a snowstorm because if we get TOO much snow, he cant clear it. So instead he nibbles at it, taking it in stages. Ugh.

I love my 2 stage.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I went with 2 stage gas. I snow blow our sidewalks at our church and some of our neighbors so it gets a workout for sure. If I was just doing a single driveway I would get something like you posted. A single electric would be A LOT easier to store than a two stage gas.:twocents:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The two-stage gas I linked above is fairly compact - I just know nothing about the manufacturer/engine/etc which concerns me.

I semi-expected to find most of the larger name brands making lawn equipment to have snow throwers but most of the ones that I have seen have terrible reviews.

Leaving a thin sheet of snow on the drive is fine - I'm just wanting to get the bulk of it moved/thrown.

I'm not against a single-stage but I've just heard if you're gonna spend the money it's better to go ahead and get the 2-stage. I just wish I could find one that has a manufacturer I recognize that isn't $1k+!

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I gave mine to my Neighbor who also wakes up in the early morning and keeps his driveway, side walk and street clean. I prefer the shovel once the snow is driven over the blower would not work well at all.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'm not super concerned with having it for/during this upcoming snowpocalypse - but more for in the future as I'm just getting tired of clearing snow - especially the stuff at the end of the drive that they plow up into my drive since I'm on a cul-de-sac.

Trying to stick with one available on Amazon Prime - will save me a ton on shipping. Freight for one of these things without it is $100~150 from what I've seen but $0 for Amazon Prime.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I shovel my walk and let the truck make its own way. The neighbor blows his circle drive. If I was inclined to clear my drive, I would use a gas powered piece of equipment to do so.

Last edited:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I use to work at a place that sold lawn equipment. I showed customers how to use and maintain their new equipment. As long as you have a paved or concrete driveway, a single stage curved rubber paddle snow blower is all you ever going to need in Indiana. I have on of these: SNOWBLOWER TORO POWERLITE CCR 3.0HP 16" ELECTRIC & PULL START LIKE NEW for Sale in Fair Lawn, New Jersey Classified | AmericanListed.com.
    Absolutely a little monster! Blows snow a good 15-20 ft. Toro also makes more powerful models.

The problem with two stage snow blower is that they don't work well unless you have more than 6 or so inches down. Up to a certain point, most two stage blowers work better the deeper the snow is.

If we actually get a lot of snow tomorrow, I'll just blow my driveway two or three times. No big problem.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I use to work at a place that sold lawn equipment. I showed customers how to use and maintain their new equipment. As long as you have a paved or concrete driveway, a single stage curved rubber paddle snow blower is all you ever going to need in Indiana. I have on of these: SNOWBLOWER TORO POWERLITE CCR 3.0HP 16" ELECTRIC & PULL START LIKE NEW for Sale in Fair Lawn, New Jersey Classified | AmericanListed.com.
    Absolutely a little monster! Blows snow a good 15-20 ft. Toro also makes more powerful models.

The problem with two stage snow blower is that they don't work well unless you have more than 6 or so inches down. Up to a certain point, most two stage blowers work better the deeper the snow is.

If we actually get a lot of snow tomorrow, I'll just blow my driveway two or three times. No big problem.

Concrete_smiley_face[1].JPG

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Are you set on a new machine?

I bought a late 1970's model Arien's about 5 or 6 years ago off eBay for $100. It's old...but it still runs good and it will throw the hell out of snow. 5 forward speeds and reverse. Pneumatic tires and chains. I was kicking around the idea of buying a new machine...until I used it yesterday and thought to myself...why? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the one I have. Other than it isn't electric start. And I can add that on for $50-$75.

19184035.jpg

There was a good Snapper listed on here close to you but it sold already.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    New just brings convenience and used brings the headaches of whether it was maintained properly + shipping etc.

Decisions decisions. I appreciate all help and feedback thus far!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Haha that's something I didn't consider - since I'm going to be needing to get a mower for the summer anyhow - I may as well get one that has a plow attachment as an option...

Any suggestions on makes/models that are good mowers that also have a plow attachment?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    My 10 year old Cub Cadet LT1050 has been a fine lawn tractor. It has a 52" mower deck, a 26hp Kohler engine and handles a standard front mount plow. With wheel weights and tire chains it has handled any snowfall we've seen in the last 10 years on a very long and very steep driveway and attached supplemental parking area. Frankly it's about as lightweight as I'd go though. Knowing how useful it has been for all variety of tasks, if I were doing it over I would have gone ahead and bought at least a true garden tractor, and probably one of the smaller farm tractors. It's certainly paid for itself many times over at this point.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    If you happen to already have a lawn/garden tractor, I find that the mountable snowplow works really well. And it's kinda fun.

This is something that I somewhat regret. Several years ago when I purchased my lawn tractor, I did not see the need for a garden tractor. The lawn tractor can handle a smaller blade but has no hydraulics. The garden tractor supports various tools. Hindsight...

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    This is something that I somewhat regret. Several years ago when I purchased my lawn tractor, I did not see the need for a garden tractor. The lawn tractor can handle a smaller blade but has no hydraulics. The garden tractor supports various tools. Hindsight...
    I wouldn't need anything huge - I figure a garden tractor would be WAY overkill unless they make small ones.

At some point I want to have the land to need a good garden tractor but that is 10 to 15 years away.

Top Bottom