To get a snow blower... or not a snow blower...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    bought myself a plow for my Yamaha rhino

bought the rhino for 5k on craigs list a couple years back. Bought the plow online for about 1k including winch just after the January 5th storm it is a 72" American Eagle plow. Works awesome on my 300+ ft driveway.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    bought the rhino for 5k on craigs list a couple years back. Bought the plow online for about 1k including winch just after the January 5th storm it is a 72" American Eagle plow. Works awesome on my 300+ ft driveway.

So how does it handle drifts?
    Back in the 70s, my dad had a tractor lawn mower with a blade. I know, it's smaller. But, he had to put us kids on the back to try to weigh down the wheels. And he had chains on them. But the snow was too much in 79.

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    It handles them pretty well. I pushed some that were as tall as the blade with no problem. Mine is a 450cclures and then only time I had any problems was when I plowed my neighbors out amd they had solid ice under the snow. But I even got that to work with just a little patience. It takes quite a bit to get that thing stuck as well. I did only once when I was pushing a mound back from the side of my Father in laws drive. And that was because I went to fast and crested the hill which bottomed it out.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    By us the Lowe's and Menard's are completely out of them. They have gas grills and law mowers though.
    I saw them unboxing like ~20 new ones at the Lowes near me a couple of weeks ago but I'm wanting to get something a little higher-end than the floor models at Lowe's.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I think I'm going with the Ariens Combact 24". -> Ariens Compact Sno-Thro series of two stage gas powered snow blowers

920021_Compact_24_01_Final.jpg

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I was looking at the Deluxe too which is ~200 more but it doesn't really seem to offer anything I feel I can't live without.

I think it offers grip warmers....you might be able to do without if you have gloves, but I always lose my gloves for some reason or another.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN

After much research the last month or so, and after much debating, I'm actually picking one of these up this weekend. In our 'hood, I see all sorts of single stages which look like they get bogged down and struggle with some of the snow. Then there's the guy with the Ariens Compact 22 two-stage which is in its third season, and he just rips thru anything.

I'm going for the Compact 24.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I can't see much value in a snowblower in my part of Indiana. Folks up in the Region might have a different story, but even Indy seems a little iffy as to whether it's worth it.

I'd think it be cheaper to pay someone with an ATV to clear it.

Or to just have a winter beater 4x4 with spools or lockers in it. An early 80s F150, for example.

My grandfather (age 91) bought a snowblower and when I used it to clear his WI driveway, I was disappointed how it really wasn't some kind of magic snow tool. It was slow in travel speed. The wind blew the snow around, requiring more and more passes.

I'd have to live someplace where 10"+ at a time was a typical winter for me to seriously consider a snowblower.

This particular winter is the exception that proves the rule. Lots of folks will be blowers this winter and they'll see barely and use at all inthe next few years.

Especially with all that global warming we keep hearing about ;)

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I think it offers grip warmers....you might be able to do without if you have gloves, but I always lose my gloves for some reason or another.
    I don't need grip warmers... Never had a snow shovel with them and since I spent more time shoveling than I will snow blowing I don't see it being an issue :).

After much research the last month or so, and after much debating, I'm actually picking one of these up this weekend. In our 'hood, I see all sorts of single stages which look like they get bogged down and struggle with some of the snow. Then there's the guy with the Ariens Compact 22 two-stage which is in its third season, and he just rips thru anything.
    Yep. The main reason I'm going for the 24" instead of the 22" is due to the B&S engine and the fact that I'll take as much width when it comes to clearing snow as I can afford :). The 22 certainly isn't a bad choice though but for the meager price difference I'm going for the 24".

I'm going for the Compact 24.
    Me too :). I gotta go pick it up tomorrow. Now I'm almost hoping we get another foot so I can really put it through it's paces...

I can't see much value in a snowblower in my part of Indiana. Folks up in the Region might have a different story, but even Indy seems a little iffy as to whether it's worth it.
    I'm actually just south of Indy by about ~15 miles. Thing for me is though that not only have I always lived around Franklin/Greenwood my whole life and had plenty of occasions where such a device would be great - but I have family members in the Indianapolis area that cannot shovel themselves and they usually pay somebody. I can wheel this into the back of my truck and go clear their drives for them too and save them some money.

Or to just have a winter beater 4x4 with spools or lockers in it. An early 80s F150, for example.
    We have two 4x4 Vehicles but - that said - the UPS and FedEx guys like it when they, at least, have a path :).

My grandfather (age 91) bought a snowblower and when I used it to clear his WI driveway, I was disappointed how it really wasn't some kind of magic snow tool. It was slow in travel speed. The wind blew the snow around, requiring more and more passes.
    Depends on the snow / wind / and blower. A quality 2-stage will throw it pretty far [usually 25 to 40 feet] and unless it's super powdery you won't get much blowing back.

This particular winter is the exception that proves the rule. Lots of folks will be blowers this winter and they'll see barely and use at all inthe next few years.
    Fine with me - I've no issues storing gas engines long-term as I perform all of the necessary steps to make sure they fire up first try even years down the road. At least I don't have to pay insurance on it every month like my motorcycle! :)

Lowes low end floor model. :cool:

31BM63P3766_product_medium.jpg
    That would be the one. For a little more I'm picking up the Ariens.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You start using your blower enough, you'll learn how to blow and save you some of that problem of blowing wind.
    It takes practice.

No, it's not magic.
    But you get a bad back, and see how the value of that snowblower goes up for you.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    That's exactly why I'm getting the blower... Last time I cleared the drive my back was killing me for about 2 days... I am fairly young [28] but I do not want to have more problems than necessary down the line due to me doing things I don't necessarily have to do now.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That's exactly why I'm getting the blower... Last time I cleared the drive my back was killing me for about 2 days... I am fairly young [28] but I do not want to have more problems than necessary down the line due to me doing things I don't necessarily have to do now.

I tripped backwards on a fire extinguisher on a submarine. Back problems ever since.
    So, fast forward years later. I'm at home thinking, I'm going to get a snowblower in the late winter, early spring. They'll be trying to get rid of them, and I'll get a deal.
    Shoveled the driveway..... missed a weeks work due to being off for the back to rest. Lost wages easily would have paid for the blower. So, I got the blower, and had to eat the lost wages.
    Woulda been smarter just to get the thing.
    Got a bigger one than I wanted, cause I bought after a storm and all the smaller ones were taken.
    I AM SO GLAD THAT HAPPENED.
    I do my drive, help the parents, help retired neighbors. Bigger is better (usually).

Top Bottom