To get a snow blower... or not a snow blower...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have two snowblowers, a single stage and two stage. The single stage is the most often used, and probably all you will need 90 to 95% of the time, with the exception of some years (this year has been one of those around here!). After I bought my two-stage, there were years when I had buyer's remorse. There was a stretch of about 5 years, say between 2007 and 2012, when I never used it at all. But man, when you need it, you need it, and that single stage is not of much use in those situations. I live in NWI, so I probably have more use for it than you do. But my brother lives in Noblesville, and there have been years recently when they had more snow than we did.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Haha. I was looking at the 28" model but I figure it will only take a little longer with the 24". The tracked model was cool for the fact that it would pivot up/down on the tracks so you could clear deeper snow or take two passes but if I run into snow this one can't handle I've probably got bigger problems [or should have gone out half way through the falling snow and done it] :).

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I have two snowblowers, a single stage and two stage. The single stage is the most often used, and probably all you will need 90 to 95% of the time, with the exception of some years (this year has been one of those around here!). After I bought my two-stage, there were years when I had buyer's remorse. There was a stretch of about 5 years, say between 2007 and 2012, when I never used it at all. But man, when you need it, you need it, and that single stage is not of much use in those situations. I live in NWI, so I probably have more use for it than you do. But my brother lives in Noblesville, and there have been years recently when they had more snow than we did.
    1 stage would probably be fine for my drive but 2-stage is a necessity for a couple of other places I plan on clearing for family.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Enjoy your new toy Mike.
    I got this one
    Ariens Platinum ST24DLE (24") 250cc Two-Stage Snow Blower
    Ariens 921017 Platinum ST24DLE 24" 250cc Two-Stage Snow Blower
    4 years ago and it's a power horse! Takes some getting use to not having the snow back in your face but you will get the hang of it.
    Now a days I clean the snow and get back inside and see others still out there cleaning snow.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Yeah I was looking at the higher-end ones but decided the compact model would/should do everything I need. May have to go a little slower than one of the higher-end models but still better than shoveling by a LONG shot.

When I get there to pick it up if they have a higher-end/nicer one still for sale I *might* upgrade :).

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    @mike

fyi the wheels/rods in this cold year can freeze up especially if you use the blower for a long time and have a lot of snow that melts on it and then just leave it in the garage. the next time you use it the wheels may not move at all. dont freak out like my partner did and think the machine is broken. :)
    its just frozen at the rods, start it up and go in 1st speed fwd and that will break the ice and the blower will move.

when you are done using just take a rag and clean off the snow/water from the tire rods and you wont run into this issue.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    also the machine uses 5w-30 and takes 20oz per oil change (mine does and supsect yours being in the same family of blowers will take the same)
    that 20oz number is not in the manual. :xmad:
    if you go to ariens website under their support page they have a chart with model #, oil type and max oz its buried deep on the support page. why i have no clue.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Still waiting to hear from the dealer that they have come in. Truck was supposed to be there yesterday or early this morning but nothing yet. May not end up with it until Mon/Tues at this rate.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Well looks like the earliest I'll have one is Monday if they actually come in by then. All three stores I've been in touch with that were supposed to call when they came in [all said today, in the morning] have not called and all three are now closed.

Joy.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I need to stop looking online already. Now I'm considering a hydro drive blower... (2x the cost).

I love the hydrostatic on the law mower. No gear selection and truly variable speed...... Would be great to slow to a crawl for the end-of-driveway packed snow...

I want it but I know I don't need it...........

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Last time I shopped online I ended up waiting 6 days for 3 items that I saw at bobs for the EXACT same price the next day...

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Last time I shopped online I ended up waiting 6 days for 3 items that I saw at bobs for the EXACT same price the next day...
    bobs?

I think I settled on the 28" Deluxe - comes with the motor made by LCT and features 'auto-turn' [i.e. I can do a tight turn without having to have one wheel free-wheeling all the time.]

Probably a bit overkill overall but I'm looking for ease-of-use as well as longevity and I have no issues doing regular/routine maintenance and prepping properly for long-term storage.

Would be clearing ~5 drives every time we get snow worth clearing so it will save my back for sure.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    gun parts.... I know I know, this is about snow throwers, but I live in an apartment. so I have good boots and a good 4x4. No snow throwers...

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    ...don't forget to install a holster for your shotgun on the snowblower...you know, just in case the snow zombies jumps out of the snow mound....

alphabrace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Well lets see here, if you don't buy the snow blower you will get more exercise shoveling which, if you are like most people could stand a little more exercise. And that will leave you with 5-7 hundred dollars to buy: either a pistol, a long gun, more ammo, a reloading setup....etc
    My vote is to get yourself out there with a 15 dollars shovel and get to work!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well lets see here, if you don't buy the snow blower you will get more exercise shoveling which, if you are like most people could stand a little more exercise. And that will leave you with 5-7 hundred dollars to buy: either a pistol, a long gun, more ammo, a reloading setup....etc

Or, he throws his back out, loses wages, and has doc bills.

kjf48197

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Indy south side
    I bought one about 8 or 9 years ago. It is easy to maintain and doesn't cost anything to sit there and not get used. I have gotten plenty of use this winter and no sore back muscles from a shovel.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Already have a shovel - takes ~ 1.5 hours to clear my drive if I go non-stop. This isn't counting my mom's drive or anybody else for whom I clear their drives as they're older and not capable of doing it themselves safely.

Buying a snow blower will not eat into any other budgets - if I want another gun I'll buy one and I already have about $4k into my reloading set-up. The only thing reloading costs me now is components and time so shooting is fairly cheap. I do have a Dillon XL650 progressive and can crank out ~1.5 to 2k rounds per hour... It's overkill for how much I shoot but I now spend ~15 to 30 minutes reloading every once in a while instead of 2 to 4 hours fairly regularly :).

Or, he throws his back out, loses wages, and has doc bills.
    I'm mostly out to save my time - I do bill $75/hour for my time and to spend 5 hours shoveling snow would have an opportunity cost of $375 each time it snowed in just the time alone I spent shoveling.

That said - I don't have the greatest back [used to unload semi trailers by hand 8 to 12 hours per day and I can't say I always 'lifted with my legs']. After about 30 to 40 minutes of shoveling my back is killing me but I gotta do what I gotta do which is also why I'm looking at a blower.

I know I've spent more money on sillier things that have far less utility so it's not really a matter of the money as much as deciding which to get and finding it available somewhere at this point.

I'd *love* to have the hydrostatic drive but replacing a friction disc every few years really isn't a big deal at all - can have it done in ~15 minutes and would be completed as a part of the routine maintenance that would go along with any snow blower.

After discussing the models and features with the wife we're actually leaning towards the 30" Platinum from Ariens. It's expensive, sure, but with proper maintenance [which I have no issues doing, just like I don't mind changing my oil or cleaning my guns] it should last 15+ years easily.

Top Bottom