• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a couple of Crimson Trace red laser grips on J frames.
    They don't require a special holster, at least not for me. I'm using a leather Galco belt-slide.
    One more note of interest. As an NRA Instructor, I enjoy a 40% discount on Crimson Trace lasers.

Have any good friends who are instructors?

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I did lasers for a period of time and they proved to be a distraction for me, but that's because my hands have a mild tremor to them and causes that red dot to bounce all over. It actually threw my speed and accuracy OFF versus using my sights exclusively. Though in the case of folks with poorer eyesight, the desire for a laser is understandable. Crimson Trace grip lasers are indeed the ones with the simplest operation and don't require a special holster. The downside is that in the case of polymer frames, they are typically a sleeve that fits over the existing grip; fattening it considerably. CT also makes smaller trigger guard mounted grip-activated lasers that won't change the feel of the grip to dramatically, but nonetheless require a special holster to accommodate. Rail mounted lasers by far require the most dramatically customized holster to accommodate them, are less instinctively activated but don't alter the grip characteristics. A lot of give-n-take no matter what you choose. It comes down to what's more important as you consider the pros and cons of each.

typo31

Plinker
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Whiteland
    I have used three different laser options over the years. The first was the S&W Bodyguard w/built in laser. Was a total waste of time in my opinion. The button to turn it on was flush with the laser body and I had to press so hard to turn it on that my hand would start shaking unless I put my other hand on the other side to support it. If it is that hard to do when that is the only thing I'm concentrating on, then there is no way it would benefit me in a self defense situation.

I tried the Viridian "instant-on" option for my LCP. It was ok as long as you can keep the batteries working. I would pocket carry using their supplied holster and I would have to change the batteries every 1.5-2 weeks. At a cost of roughly $5 per set of batteries, that's over $10/month in batteries. Plus if you are getting to the end of the battery life and need it for self defense, it might not be there when you expect it to be. Not sure why the batteries died so quickly, but it was ridiculous.

The only laser option I have seen that I really liked was my dad's Crimson Trace Laser Grips on his Bersa Thunder. They come on instantly when you grip the handgun properly. The battery has been good for over a year now. Definitely the way to go in my opinion.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    Has anyone ever tried one of the Laser Max "guide rod" lasers? I like that you wouldn't need to change holsters, but they are pricey. They do come in green, which as other have suggested, would be my choice, but it doesn't appear they support very many manufacturers (CZ is not on their list).

https://www.lasermax.com/products#!guide-rod-lasers

I had a LaseMax guide rod for a Glock 19 and had lots of problems with it. Sent it back to LaserMax twice. When they replaced it a third time I sold it. Was not impressed.:(

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I feel anything with a battery will fail when you need it the most. I prefer tritium nights sights instead. I have the same problem as the OP, needing reading glasses for up close work including handgun sights but I have no problem lining up 3 glowing dots.

Top Bottom