To the person that shot themselves at the 1500..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    I wouldn't put it past an Anti Gun fanatic to go purchase a pistol and purposely shoot themselves in the hand to make firearms look bad. How in the heck does anyone shoot themselves in the hand with a firearm? Rule number 1, never point a firearm at anything you shouldn't shoot.

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    *Full disclosure

I have had a ND, with a Colt Mustang .380. Put a nice hole in the floor of my bedroom and left a graze mark on the wall of the basement. No injuries. Was lowering the trigger on a loaded chamber and the hammer slipped. Last time I ever carried it that way.

A friend who I would say has much more experience with firearms than myself has had 3 ND's that I know of. Again, no injuries, just minor property damage.

I have been the victim of an injury resulting from an ND at a gun show. Bit of shrapnel when a guy working a dealer booth who was a friend of an employee, not authorized to be there, decided to prove hollow points would cycle through a .45 he was trying to sell. Honestly, he got the worse of it, as it impacted the concrete floor right between his feet and he was wearing shorts. I held no grudge against the show's sponsor, stupid is as stupid does.

Trying to place the blame on the 1500 for this incident is IMHO, ridiculous. The lack of sandbags or other designated loading/unloading area wouldn't have helped this situation, as he appears to have simply shot himself, no ricochet involved. In fact, the few ND's I've heard of happening at the 1500 resulting in injuries have all been persons shooting themselves, not slam fires or reload fumbles resulting in injuries to others. I don't automatically assume people belonging to INGO, or a LE agency, will handle guns safely. I expect even less from the general population. Should the guns for sale be unloaded? Sure. Will no incidents result if everybody keeps their loaded weapon holstered? Likely. Do I actually believe that will happen? No. Acknowledging that accidents will happen due to complacency or incompetence means things like this will still occur if loaded guns are allowed inside shows, with a greater likelihood of serious injury IMO, due to the amount of people packed into the venue. Lot's of people, lot's of things to distract a normally competent person, lot's of opportunities for something to go really bad. If the no loaded gun rule had been followed in my instance, nobody would've gotten hurt. This guy screwed up, and paid a high price. I hope he doesn't suffer any permanent damage. But trying to place the blame on the 1500 for one persons momentary lapse in judgement after leaving the venue is akin to blaming Bushmaster for selling a rifle to the mother of the Sandy Hook shooter.
    Gun safety begins with the person behind the weapon. I managed to unload, and load, my carry weapon yesterday without any incident at the show. As I'm sure thousands of others did. If something had gone wrong, the only damage would've been to a small bit of pavement, or the floorboard of my car. My :twocents:

RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    If the 1500 would drop their asinine rules that force people to screw with their firearms before entering, then incidents like this would virtually never happen. They force people to coonfinger their guns and things like this happen.

I wish I could agree. To many would be unable to resist unholstering to show someone their personal carry gun.

lawrence1139

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Muncie
    I now am not going to hear the end of this at work from the out there FAR left wankers who hate guns.

Let me ask this. Do you all walk around with one in the chamber? and why why not?

As for me no, 3 kids at home and l am home more than going out in area's l need to fear for my life. Plus the racking of a gun will put the fear into anyone.
    What do l do then l am out, well l don't walk around with blinders on.
    I try to have sitution awarerness of where l am at and what's going on around me.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    For some reason I can't imagine the level of stupid for someone to put or have their hand in front of a barrel of a firearm they are loading!
    I have gone over this several times in my mind, and the ONLY time I can imagine having my hand in front of the barrel when reloading is with a MUZZLE LOADER. Seriously... how does one do this?? :n00b:

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I now am not going to hear the end of this at work from the out there FAR left wankers who hate guns.

Let me ask this. Do you all walk around with one in the chamber? and why why not?

As for me no, 3 kids at home and l am home more than going out in area's l need to fear for my life. Plus the racking of a gun will put the fear into anyone.
    What do l do then l am out, well l don't walk around with blinders on.
    I try to have sitution awarerness of where l am at and what's going on around me.

I always have one in the chamber. I have a friend who doesn't carry this way, and he has his reasons. I simply believe that if I have to pull my weapon I want it ready to use immediately. In case my off hand is disabled, in case I want to make as little noise as possible, in case I don't have time to chamber a round. Keeping aware of your surroundings is always a great idea. However dynamic environments can shorten the go/no go chain pretty quick.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    *Full disclosure

I have had a ND, with a Colt Mustang .380. Put a nice hole in the floor of my bedroom and left a graze mark on the wall of the basement. No injuries. Was lowering the trigger on a loaded chamber and the hammer slipped. Last time I ever carried it that way.

A friend who I would say has much more experience with firearms than myself has had 3 ND's that I know of. Again, no injuries, just minor property damage.

I have been the victim of an injury resulting from an ND at a gun show. Bit of shrapnel when a guy working a dealer booth who was a friend of an employee, not authorized to be there, decided to prove hollow points would cycle through a .45 he was trying to sell. Honestly, he got the worse of it, as it impacted the concrete floor right between his feet and he was wearing shorts. I held no grudge against the show's sponsor, stupid is as stupid does.

Trying to place the blame on the 1500 for this incident is IMHO, ridiculous. The lack of sandbags or other designated loading/unloading area wouldn't have helped this situation, as he appears to have simply shot himself, no ricochet involved. In fact, the few ND's I've heard of happening at the 1500 resulting in injuries have all been persons shooting themselves, not slam fires or reload fumbles resulting in injuries to others. I don't automatically assume people belonging to INGO, or a LE agency, will handle guns safely. I expect even less from the general population. Should the guns for sale be unloaded? Sure. Will no incidents result if everybody keeps their loaded weapon holstered? Likely. Do I actually believe that will happen? No. Acknowledging that accidents will happen due to complacency or incompetence means things like this will still occur if loaded guns are allowed inside shows, with a greater likelihood of serious injury IMO, due to the amount of people packed into the venue. Lot's of people, lot's of things to distract a normally competent person, lot's of opportunities for something to go really bad. If the no loaded gun rule had been followed in my instance, nobody would've gotten hurt. This guy screwed up, and paid a high price. I hope he doesn't suffer any permanent damage. But trying to place the blame on the 1500 for one persons momentary lapse in judgement after leaving the venue is akin to blaming Bushmaster for selling a rifle to the mother of the Sandy Hook shooter.
    Gun safety begins with the person behind the weapon. I managed to unload, and load, my carry weapon yesterday without any incident at the show. As I'm sure thousands of others did. If something had gone wrong, the only damage would've been to a small bit of pavement, or the floorboard of my car. My :twocents:

:dunno:
    have your finger on'a trigger the whole time?.....if so.....THAT was the mistake.....:twocents:

Got 1 I carry daily,when not carry'n the Para......and carry it cok'd/lok'd in waistband, no holster, or in'a vest pocket if on the bike....
    Only time the hammer's down is when I take it off my person.....

get you finger off the trigger soon as you release the tension.....if it DOES slip.....should'n go off......SHOULD'n......if I had a dollar for ever time I've let the hammer down on load'd chamber on this,or the Para.......be a rich dude t-day......:cool:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    :dunno:
    have your finger on'a trigger the whole time?.....if so.....THAT was the mistake.....:twocents:

Got 1 I carry daily,when not carry'n the Para......and carry it cok'd/lok'd in waistband, no holster, or in'a vest pocket if on the bike....
    Only time the hammer's down is when I take it off my person.....

get you finger off the trigger soon as you release the tension.....if it DOES slip.....should'n go off......SHOULD'n......if I had a dollar for ever time I've let the hammer down on load'd chamber on this,or the Para.......be a rich dude t-day......:cool:

Sad thing is, with 1911s, there used to be and still is a contingent of people that think when cycling the 1911 for loading that you should pull and keep pulled the trigger to keep the sear from bouncing. In other words, a band aid for a bad sear spring or similar. :(

What was the injured's idea? What was going through his idiotic head that thinks, "Hey, I'z gotta load my heater befer I'z get to the parkin' lot, dem dangerous minerities r gonna get me?" Of course, training will be harped upon and yes, it's important, but mandated or not, hilljacks like the shooter will always forget this and always hurt someone or themselves. You can tell people until you are blue in the face, Keep it pointed downrange, keep your finger out of the trigger guard unless you are shooting, don't touch guns on a cold range, etc... but they still will.

Think it stems from an ownership thing: Someone spends 500 billy bucks on a pistol, they think that they expendature (massive for some people) is a liability and responsibility waiver. Guns to these people are a game, a toy and nothing else. I cringe, CRINGE, when someone sez "Hey, look at my new TOY" in regards to a firearm. Shows they have NO respect for it or your safety. They want to show it off, "Hey, look at me, I'm carrying a GUN!!" and go to walmart and when someone talks about carrying a gun, these retards are the first person to sweep their coat aside and say, LOOK AT ME WORLD, I'm CARRYING A GUN!! Heck, some idiots even pull it out and show it off to the people they speak with.

Also extends from the concept of "right": It's my RIGHT to own a firearm. And it is. But realistically, some people just honestly do not have the mental fortitude or self control to have a gun. Alot of these people also horse with their phone in traffic while driving, binge drink, smoke then when they get emphezima they say it's "in God's hands now". They are not willing to accept the burden, BURDEN of responsibility of what that firearm demands and what it's ownership demands.

I am against mandated "classes" and such, but good lord... How many times are we going to say "Oh, well at least he didn't hit anyone except himself" before they hit a kid and the left runs amok with that?

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Sad thing is, with 1911s, there used to be and still is a contingent of people that think when cycling the 1911 for loading that you should pull and keep pulled the trigger to keep the sear from bouncing. In other words, a band aid for a bad sear spring or similar. :(

What was the injured's idea? What was going through his idiotic head that thinks, "Hey, I'z gotta load my heater befer I'z get to the parkin' lot, dem dangerous minerities r gonna get me?" Of course, training will be harped upon and yes, it's important, but mandated or not, hilljacks like the shooter will always forget this and always hurt someone or themselves. You can tell people until you are blue in the face, Keep it pointed downrange, keep your finger out of the trigger guard unless you are shooting, don't touch guns on a cold range, etc... but they still will.

Think it stems from an ownership thing: Someone spends 500 billy bucks on a pistol, they think that they expendature (massive for some people) is a liability and responsibility waiver. Guns to these people are a game, a toy and nothing else. I cringe, CRINGE, when someone sez "Hey, look at my new TOY" in regards to a firearm. Shows they have NO respect for it or your safety. They want to show it off, "Hey, look at me, I'm carrying a GUN!!" and go to walmart and when someone talks about carrying a gun, these retards are the first person to sweep their coat aside and say, LOOK AT ME WORLD, I'm CARRYING A GUN!! Heck, some idiots even pull it out and show it off to the people they speak with.

Also extends from the concept of "right": It's my RIGHT to own a firearm. And it is. But realistically, some people just honestly do not have the mental fortitude or self control to have a gun. Alot of these people also horse with their phone in traffic while driving, binge drink, smoke then when they get emphezima they say it's "in God's hands now". They are not willing to accept the burden, BURDEN of responsibility of what that firearm demands and what it's ownership demands.

I am against mandated "classes" and such, but good lord... How many times are we going to say "Oh, well at least he didn't hit anyone except himself" before they hit a kid and the left runs amok with that?

Could not of said it better so I won't even try. I will say that I have known several people that I just never trusted with a firearm. They just didn't respect the weapon. I taught my kids all of the basic rules of firearms handling just as I was taught and I think it has paid off.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana

:):
    .......uhhhh?.......was only respnd'n to the dude as far as HIS ND,LOL!...:):

I carry one o' these.....DAY'ly......like I said.......KEEP hold on the HAMMER and only put e'nuff pressure on'a trigger long e'nuff ta DISengage the sear ......THEN let the hammer down......IF you FINGER is OFF the TRIGGER.....it SHOULD'nt go BANG......even if the hammer slips....:rolleyes:

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast

I carry one o' these.....DAY'ly......like I said.......KEEP hold on the HAMMER and only put e'nuff pressure on'a trigger long e'nuff ta DISengage the sear ......THEN let the hammer down......IF you FINGER is OFF the TRIGGER.....it SHOULD'nt go BANG......even if the hammer slips....:rolleyes:

This only works if there is firing pin block. I beleive that prior to the series 80, the 1911's did not have a pin block and you could have a discharge from a slam fire or even lower the hammer with out having the trigger pulled once you have released the sear.

Hence carry the 1911 in position 1 or 3.
    Position 1 is Loaded in the chamber and Cocked and Locked. :yesway: :yesway:
    Position 2 is Loaded in the chamber and hammer down. :noway:
    Position 3 is Unloaded with full mag. :dunno: Better than position 2.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County

Whats the point though? I see absolutely no payoff for riding the hammer back down, plus you run the risk of the gun going off. Just because you can see the hammer on a 1911, doesn't make it any more dangerous than the other bazillion semi automatic handguns without it exposed. Use it as it was designed to do. Rack a shell in, put the safety on, and holster, ....... done. The more you screw with it, the more likely it is to go off.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    Whats the point though? I see absolutely no payoff for riding the hammer back down, plus you run the risk of the gun going off. Just because you can see the hammer on a 1911, doesn't make it any more dangerous than the other bazillion semi automatic handguns without it exposed. Use it as it was designed to do. Rack a shell in, put the safety on, and holster, ....... done. The more you screw with it, the more likely it is to go off.

:yesway: +1

Top Bottom