• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    She Who Must Be Obeyed always thought she was registered independent, and didn't get to vote in the primary except on issues. I went in early and got asked which ballot I wanted despite voting R forever. So I let her know, and she voted in a primary for the first time in years. Had to pick R or D though. And she made the right choice.

Yep, IN doesn't register party affiliation. It just goes by who got the majority of your vote in the last general, or who you intend to vote for in the next general if you didn't vote in the last.

Okay so here's a question... If the Libertarian party (for example) got big enough that they held their own convention with more than one candidate vying for the various offices, would Indiana then need to begin issuing Libertarian ballots? I just presume that D and R are the only choices because there are no third parties big enough to warrant conventions.

Per Indiana code, if a party receives at least 10% of the votes for Sec of State they must participate in the primary to have ballot access in the general. If a party gets iirc 2 or 3% or higher of the vote for Sec of State, they become an officially recognized party by the state. So for state level elections they don't have to get signatures of registered voters equal to or above 2% of the total votes for Sec of State in the last general election. Which is where the Libertarian party is now.

ETA The Libertarian party does have more than one candidate vying for various offices, heck this year they have half a dozen give or take for President. Not sure about other offices.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom