Today was a beautiful day to build a backstop...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    I have had the railroad ties stacked for about a month now, but decided today to finish it up by tying them all together and bracing the stack.

Using 5" 40D ringed-shank pole-barn nails, I used some 2x4 planks from some heavy duty steel-coil pallets on the backside of the stack to brace them all together. I then nailed them 3-thick on the top one to provide a solid base to tie my supports into. The 2 ties on the backside of the stack on either end are anchored into the ground via a few 4x4 posts nailed to each other then sunk into the ground about 3 feet. I actually only have one of the brace ties anchored into the ground right now. I need to grab a few more 4x4 posts from the junk pile at work tomorrow.

There is a tie that is sunk vertically 3 feet into the ground that will be used to further support the stack. I am also going to box in the rear of the stack, using that tie to help hold things together. I will then fill the space in between with sand in case any bullets do get through the ties. The stack is already really sturdy especially with the 2 ties bracing the stack in the back, but I think after boxing the rear in and the sand, it will be good to go for a really long time.

100_0694.jpg

100_0695.jpg

100_0686.jpg

100_0687.jpg

100_0685.jpg

Here are the views to and from the house and backstop.
    Backstop to house. I am going to build a bench next to the tree in this picture to have something to put our ammo and such on when shooting our handguns. That tree is about 8 yards from the backstop.
    100_0688.jpg

House to backstop. Distance is roughly 105 yards.
    100_0689.jpg

And after a long day of working outside, my new best friend took a long nap. :D

100_0696.jpg

Last edited:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Looks like a fun project and a great reason to spend time outdoors!

How much sand to you estimate it will take to backfill? How are you going to move it....machine or hand power?

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    I'm going to take my truck and have them fill it up, so probably a ton or so at first. There's a gravel pit about 5 minutes from my house that I will get my sand from. I'll hafta grab the shovel and get to work I guess :D

The gap that I am going to make after boxing in the backside will be as deep as a tie, so probably 8" deep by 8' long by about 10 feet high. I was going to add one more tie to the top of the stack, but I ran out of energy yesterday to do it by myself. I'll have to finish it the rest of the way sometime this week.

Yesterday's sunburn greatly dropped my motivation level. :noway:

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    Looks good!;) I was planning on something similar or smething like a scaled down version of what they have at Crosley, with the overhang and all. Let us know how well it works out!:D

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Looks good!;) I was planning on something similar or smething like a scaled down version of what they have at Crosley, with the overhang and all. Let us know how well it works out!:D

Looks great, but I wanna make sure I'm clear on something. You're gonna box in the back and fill it up to the top with sand?

If so, you're looking at 15-20 tons at least. Might I recommend a dump trailer and fill dirt...

I mighta misunderstood though...

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    Looks great, but I wanna make sure I'm clear on something. You're gonna box in the back and fill it up to the top with sand?

If so, you're looking at 15-20 tons at least. Might I recommend a dump trailer and fill dirt...

I think the OP is only going to go several inches thick. I personally am not going to use sand since I already have about 5 tri-axle loads of dirt where I want it, I just need to get my arse in gear and start digging and setting ties.:dunno:

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    not to thread jack... but are there resources for how to properly build a backstop? My dream right now is to find a proper parcel of land and to have my own little range.

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County

Correct. I am going to box in the backside of the stop, but only about 8" thick. I've got plenty of fill dirt, but it craters when shot, and the reason I'm using sand is to be certain nothing gets through it.

Like this. The brown is the sand.
    untitled1.jpg

Also, I've been contemplating adding a 3' overhang to help stop any vertical ricochets from escaping. It's not that I'm worried about the neighbors' homes or anything, but I just want this thing to stop everything I throw at it. I've got plenty of 2x4 rough sawed beams left over from tearing down some pallets, so I may do something along those lines as well.

As you can see, I've also got some large tree trunk chunks around the outsides of the stop. I was cutting more a few weeks ago on a really hot day, and the chainsaw decided to start acting up and quit running. I guess it ran pretty good for not being started in 9 years though. I'd like to extend either side of the stop another 5 foot or so, so that I can make more steel silhouettes and set them up somewhat like an IDPA setup.

Last edited:

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I'm going to take my truck and have them fill it up, so probably a ton or so at first. There's a gravel pit about 5 minutes from my house that I will get my sand from. I'll hafta grab the shovel and get to work I guess :D

The gap that I am going to make after boxing in the backside will be as deep as a tie, so probably 8" deep by 8' long by about 10 feet high. I was going to add one more tie to the top of the stack, but I ran out of energy yesterday to do it by myself. I'll have to finish it the rest of the way sometime this week.

Yesterday's sunburn greatly dropped my motivation level. :noway:

Well if you need a hand get ahold of me, I am hoping to get back to work soon and could use the workout.

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    Well if you need a hand get ahold of me, I am hoping to get back to work soon and could use the workout.

I appreciate the offer, and if I need help I'll let ya know. I'm going to try using some different nails than the 5" 40D nails. I had to grab the 4lb sledge to drive them in because they grip so well. This thing won't be coming apart anytime soon. :rockwoot:

Depending upon what time I get up tomorrow morning, I may get to work boxing it in and report with new pics. :yesway:

Top Bottom