• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    So today I bought this Beretta 96D. It's a police trade in... not in that bad of shape really... bare metal showing in a few places... but other than that everything like the bore and what not is in great shape. I've been wanting to buy one for a while... and actually went Glock shopping today, but decided that I still think Glocks are absolutely UGLY so I bought this... the Beretta 96D was the first handgun I ever fired. Fired my dad's service issue one (He was ISP for 20 years before he passed). I've wanted one every since, just for nostalgic value. However, I think I'm actually going to make this my carry, although I"ll still carry my Bersa .380 when I don't want people to know I"m carrying anything at all.

beretta96d.jpg

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I'd like one just for the "Lethal Weapon" factor. I grew up on that movie.

Good movie(s) I've actually thought... if anyone ever pulls a gun on me... I'm gonna either guide theirs to my head, or better yet draw mine and put it to my head and tell them 'I'll do it, I swear I'll do it!'

hahaha.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Probably want to leave that idea on DVD :):

Good movie(s) I've actually thought... if anyone ever pulls a gun on me... I'm gonna either guide theirs to my head, or better yet draw mine and put it to my head and tell them 'I'll do it, I swear I'll do it!'

hahaha.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I hate to be the sourpuss... but I hate Berettas. The design is severely flawed. Of course, I have my reasons why.

I worked as a Small Arms instructor at Camp Atterbury SARTS for a few years. As anyone who knows will tell you, Firearms won't work after a while if you don't clean them. Well, of course you always have your naysayers. I had a ROTC Butterbar who was also an ISP rookie fresh out of ILEA and College. He was Military police (go figure) and he thought his behind produced the stuff of roses. I, being an E-3 at the time, had a hard time with this 2LT who kept busting my chops.

Before I go on, I'll go into WHY I don't like Berettas. I don't care for the open-faced slide. It allows for dirt and other things to get into it, which have been proven to foul up operation. As some of us know in high-stress combat situations... crap happens and weapons get dropped, sometimes into things that can foul up operation. As a combatant, I want something that works, no matter what. Anything with an open faced slide doesn't appeal to me.

Back to the story, This 2LT was busting my chops. Please keep in mind, I could have no-go'd him at any time and been justified in doing it, but I wanted to prove a point. I got prior authorization to bring my Glock 23 onto post and keep it in the Arms room. On range day, I told this 2LT if he could empty his magazines before I could...I would clean his weapon. Only stipulation was we had to roll them in the dirt and mud.

Long story short, I was able to clear 3 magazines in the same time it took him to clear one.

In front of the whole class, I told them, "This is why you need to keep your weapons clean. When you deploy to Iraq or Afghanistan, the sand is not forgiving. You need to clean your weapons daily."

That 2LT was there for 4 hours cleaning that weapon. It was clean 3 hours before... but I decided to be a hardass. He wasn't happy about it. I was responsible for signing in weapons and signing them out, so I had to make sure they were clean.

Yes, Glocks are ugly. I concur with this... However, I could give a damn about aesthetics when it comes to self-preservation. I might be dirty, scratched up, and calloused... but I'm alive. Glocks are ugly, they are pretty by no standard.... but they go Bang every time, and accurate as hell.

If you're going to have a Beretta... please keep it clean. It may mean your life.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Hmmm.... If this is such a flawed and finicky design, why/how did the Beretta pass the very stringent military field testing before it was chosen to replace the venerable 1911?? :dunno:

:cheers:

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Hmmm.... If this is such a flawed and finicky design, why/how did the Beretta pass the very same military field testing that the Glock did before it was chosen to replace the venerable 1911?? :dunno:

:cheers:
    Simply put... It does not have an external safety. The US Army trains for the "lowest common denominator". In essence, some people aren't smart or responsible enough to work with pistols without safeties. They require external safeties to "elimiate risk". I think it's a **** poor reason, but it's the one they give.

I honestly you train soldiers until they get it right, or they don't continue. Be more selective. We could recruit every Bubba jay and put a rifle in his hand... that doesn't mean we should. But, that's another sermon for another time.

Last edited:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Simply put... It does not have an external safety. The US Army trains for the "lowest common denominator". In essence, some people aren't smart or responsible enough to work with pistols without safeties. They require external safeties to "elimiate risk". I think it's a **** poor reason, but it's the one they give.

Interesting. I guess I can see that as it took me some time to get used to the whole "no visible safety" thing. That may even explain one of the reasons that I prefer the XD over the Glock is the extra grip safety. :scratch:

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN

I honestly you train soldiers until they get it right, or they don't continue. Be more selective. We could recruit every Bubba jay and put a rifle in his hand... that doesn't mean we should. But, that's another sermon for another time.

My Beretta doesn't have an external safety :)

Also, I don't plan on rolling around in the mud or sand with my weapon... if I drop it then I guess it was my time to get dead.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN

It did match the SIG P226 it went up against. It and the SIG were the only to pass all the trials. Beretta put in a lower total bid than SIG and that is how they won out.

I can't think of many people that would call the SIG P226 a POS.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN

Not to mention, Glock did not want to give a US licence for the weapon. The US army demands that the weapon be made almost (if not ) entirely in the US. Glock did not want to start a factory here or sell their licence to produce it here in the states.

I was an idiot for selling my Beretta 92. I spend hours stoning the trigger, messing with the springs and lapping the bore. Gave it up for an XD, then promptly sold the XD. What an idiot!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Not to mention, Glock did not want to give a US licence for the weapon. The US army demands that the weapon be made almost (if not ) entirely in the US. Glock did not want to start a factory here or sell their licence to produce it here in the states.

They do have a plant down in Smyrna, GA. Which, should mean... they should be cheaper to buy now... right?

Oh, we could only hope.

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    My Beretta doesn't have an external safety :)

Also, I don't plan on rolling around in the mud or sand with my weapon... if I drop it then I guess it was my time to get dead.

the state police issue 96 was a decock only i believe(what my fathers 96 state police issue is). the 92'fs that the air force, army, ect. use is a safe/ fire. i work at the federal prison and we have a 92 dao and it is about the worst thing i have ever used. all too bulky for a concealed carry imo. having used the 92 fs, and dao i am personally not impressed with either.i hope my life is never at stake while carrying one

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    No, no. X% of the gun must be made (usually 100%) in the US. I think the plant in Smryna assembles them and swaps out the sights.

They only recently in the past year or two started cranking out frames in GA. The slides are still made in Austria though. However during the M9 trials they were entirely made in Austria and a brand spanking new unproven design.

Top Bottom