• ...and so much more!
  • IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    Todd Young :: Todd Young for Congress
    Todd Young, an attorney at the southern Indiana law firm of Tucker and Tucker, P.C., was born August 24, 1972, a fifth generation Hoosier and the second of three children of Bruce and Nancy Young. Young lived in Marion County for several years before settling in Hamilton County, where he attended public schools and won a state soccer championship. In 1990, Young graduated from Carmel High School. Weeks later, he enlisted in the United States Navy and reported for duty in Newport, Rhode Island. In May of 1991, Young received an appointment from the Secretary of the Navy to attend the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, where his classmates elected him a class officer and he earned a varsity letter as a member of Navy’s NCAA Division I soccer team. He graduated *** laude in 1995, earning a BS in Political Science, and accepted a commission in the U.S. Marine Corps.

Upon graduating from Annapolis, Young trained for six months as a rifle platoon commander at The Basic School in Quantico, Virginia, where he qualified as an expert rifleman. In 1996, he completed the Naval Intelligence Officer Basic Course in Dam Neck, Virginia and was entrusted with a Top Secret security clearance. Young then led the intelligence department of VMU-2, an unmanned aerial vehicle squadron based in Cherry Point, North Carolina, where he participated in various military operations, including counter-narcotics activities in the Caribbean, and was trained in Anti-Terrorism/Force Protection. In 1998, Young was transferred to Chicago, Illinois, where he managed all Marine Corps officer recruiting operations in the greater Chicago and northwest Indiana region. Meanwhile, Young attended night school at the University of Chicago’s Graduate School of Business, earning an MBA.

Young was honorably discharged from active duty in 2000 as a Captain. He then spent a year in London, England attending the University of London’s Institute of United States Studies. As Class President, Young regularly advised IUSS’s Chairman, former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, on student concerns. After writing a thesis on the economic history of Midwestern agriculture, in 2001 Young received his MA in American politics.

In the summer of 2001, Young traveled to former Communist countries in Eastern Europe where he studied the transition from centrally-planned economies to free markets through an executive education program with the Leipzig Graduate School of Management, the first private business school in eastern Germany. He then moved to Washington, DC, where he briefly worked at The Heritage Foundation, a conservative public policy think-tank, before being asked to join the staff of Senator Richard G. Lugar as a legislative assistant for energy policy. In that capacity, Young advised the Senator on numerous policy issues, including national energy security, incentives for renewable fuels development, and the regulation of coal-fired power plants. In the summer of 2003, Young returned home to Indiana to volunteer for the Mitch Daniels for Governor campaign, where he led policy development teams for energy and military veterans issues. Meanwhile, he worked as an adjunct professor of public affairs at Indiana University’s School of Public and Environmental Affairs and attended law school at night. In 2004, Young joined Indiana-based Crowe Chizek and Company as a management consultant, helping state and local government clients improve service delivery to Indiana citizens.

In 2006, Young earned his J.D. from Indiana University, where he was President of the school’s Federalist Society chapter. He joined Paoli-based Tucker and Tucker, P.C. upon graduation. Since 2007, Young has also served as a part-time Deputy Prosecutor for Orange County, Indiana. In 2008, Young’s peers elected him President of the Orange County Bar Association.

Young is an active volunteer in the community. His volunteer experiences include service as a mentor through Big Brothers/Big Sisters; fundraising for Indiana Sports Corporation’s hosting of the National Track and Field Championships; service as a member of the Board of Directors of HVAF of Indiana, a charity dedicated to eliminating homelessness for military veterans and their families; and work as a pro bono mediator for the Indiana Civil Rights Commission. Young currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Crisis Pregnancy Center, a nonprofit ministry that serves women who require help in making decisions about their pregnancies. He is also a member of the American Legion, AMVETS, and the National Rifle Association.

Young’s political activities have included service as a Delegate to the Indiana Republican State Convention and as a Vice Precinct Committeeman. In 2007, Indiana’s Young Republicans named Young the “Southern Man of the Year” for his leadership on behalf of the Republican Party in southern Indiana. In 2007, Young also founded a fiscal responsibility advocacy group, the National Organization for People vs. Irresponsible Government Spending (“NO PIGS”—see NoPigs: National Organization for People vs. Irresponsible Government Spending ). As President of NO PIGS, Young frequently speaks to Hoosiers around southern Indiana in an effort to effect change at the federal level of government by educating citizens about irresponsible government spending.

Todd Young is married to the former Jennifer Tucker of Paoli, Indiana. Todd and Jenny have two baby daughters, Abigail and Ava. The Youngs live in Bloomington, Indiana, where they are members of Sherwood Oaks Christian Church.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    via David Codrea at the Examiner comes the ultimate questionnaire for candidates.

1. Do you believe that the Constitution is the "supreme law of the land" and that the Bill of Rights acknowledges our birthrights?

2. If so, should these rights be proactively protected from infringement by all levels of government, including city, county and state?

3. Please give some examples of gun laws you consider constitutional.

4. Please give some examples of gun laws you consider unconstitutional.

5. Does the right to bear arms include the right for any peaceable citizen to carry them concealed without a permit, as in Vermont?

6. Do you believe that Americans have a right to own, use and carry weapons of military pattern, and will you use the prestige of elected office to publicly promote that right?

7. Do you support or oppose registration of weapons? Why?

8. Do you support or oppose licensing requirements to own or carry firearms?
    Why?

9. What specific gun laws will you work to get repealed?

10. If elected, will you back your words of support for firearms rights up with consistent actions? How?

I sent these questions to Mr. Young. We'll see if and how he responds.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    While Baron Hill is an arrogant douche bag, I have to say that Todd Young looks like a very "typical" member of the establishment of the GOP.

I'm sure he will be better than Baron Hill in every way possible but he doesn't look like someone who will be a standout in congress to FIGHT against the bloated government that is killing this nation. Reading his website give only the typical GOP gobblygook found on so many other GOP candidate's pages.

Heck he lists, to his benefit, as working for Dick Lugar. Last time I checked Lugar was as worthless as a boil on a pigs butt.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    You beat me to it. I have found that most of those who have worked for Lugar have contracted his incurable disease of cynical limp wristedness, dissemblance and a peculiar contempt of gun rights. I'm not convinced that Todd is an exception.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, it's been a week and still no word from candidate Young. My guess is that he's just like Lugar, as CarmelHP said. If anyone else would like to try feel free. If he were in my district I'd corral him. Hope he has luck against Hill, but I'm not sure there'd be much difference between the two.

Top Bottom