• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    Bought a Kel Tec PF9 today at Beech Grove and took it out for 125 rounds. First 10 mags had at least 2 FTE's per mage, and the slide only locked back once on the last round. After the FTE's stopped, it seemed like a nice little handgun, but I still can't get the slide to lock back but maybe one in five last-shots. Limp wristing is not an issue in this case, so I don't know what's causing it, unless I got one with a mag follower that was already bad.

I tried to sign up for kel-tec owners group forums, but their activation system is bugged, or I'd ask there. Anyone have one of these and have similar issues?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have had a couple of FTF's with cheap ball ammo. Other than that, it has ran flawless. The slide locks back after every last round of the mag.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Besides those few little problems how did you like the gun?
    I already held one but never shot one.
    How does it feel when you shoot (recoil and grip size)?

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis

<<<<<<<<< Mine without the laser sight at the range...... It likes to jump up but to the OP, I haven't had any issues with it locking back and haven't had any failures yet and I've fired about 350 rounds...... Federal FMJs and Remington Golden Sabres......

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Try putting just round in the mag and manually work the slide to see if it locks or not. I would put thru another box in it, if it still doesn't lock give Kel-Tec a call. I have heard their customer service is fantastic. Don't give up on it yet, I have shot one and it handled very well.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville

I like it because mine shoots every time and I can hit the target.

Recoil is not that bad but it bites my trigger finger because the trigger guard is too small.

Grip was so-so so I put a Hogue Jr. on it. That fills out the palm nicely.

Overall, the best flawless $235 gun I've ever bought that I can depend on.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    It tore the crap out of my trigger finger but I didn't buy it to be a range gun so that didn't bother me. I was using Winchester white box and Winchester Ranger T +P JHP's, though only 7 of them. It fed them fine but still no lockback. I did buff the barrel and feed ramp, though this one does have the newer barrel so it shouldn't have been as necessary.

I also had Beach Grove put a belt clip on it (which is VERY nice for carrying, but the screws wiggled loose after 50 shots or so) and I did have a Hogue Jr. on it. I was surprised at the accuracy once I got a little more used to the trigger pull, way more accurate than I ever was with my PPK.

I know they are good guns, they have glowing reviews spanning the Internet, I'm sure I just got the one crappy one. I got a $300 speeding ticket from a silly little boy in blue on the way to get it, so it jamming and not locking was a fitting way to end the day.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I also have not had the slide lock-back problem, but I know another guy who did.

If you buff off the mold line it'll be nice to your hands. The hogue grip (or piece of inner-tube) helps too.

You definitely have to loctite the screws if you add the belt clip. Also I'm surprised it liked the WWB - they're normally problematic in the PF9.

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Any issue at all, go to kel-tec's site & contact support. They'll ask you to ship it back & they'll repair it. I'm not the original owner and they've replaced things on mine. My disassembly pin broke and while they replaced the mag disconnect cause it was plastic (not sure why, they just did)

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    Any issue at all, go to kel-tec's site & contact support. They'll ask you to ship it back & they'll repair it. I'm not the original owner and they've replaced things on mine. My disassembly pin broke and while they replaced the mag disconnect cause it was plastic (not sure why, they just did)

Do you remember a ballpark cost on shipping it back and forth?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Maybe 125 rounds is not enough to see if the gun has something wrong or if it's just not breaking in yet.
    You may want to call Kel Tec before you send it back to know if you should put more rounds through it or if there is something wrong.
    From the last KT I got they didnt talk about any breaking period or round count in the manual, is it the same for the PF9?

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    Unless I skipped it somehow, I didn't see anything in the actual manual for a break-in period, though I've heard not to judge them until I've put 200 rounds through it, and some even go as high as 500 rounds. I'll run 200 and so long as the FTE's have finally ceased I'll at least feel ok carrying it, I'm reading that the slide not locking back could be as simple as the magazine fitting poorly.

Sorry I'm late to say it, but thanks to all those helping, it's very much appreciated.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I had a PF9, and the spring seemed to be extremely stiff. Working the slide manually was a chore at times just because the spring made it difficult to pull the slide back. If yours is like mine was, maybe you just need to break it in with several hundred rounds of ammo. I never got around to shooting mine much because the recoil was so sharp. Couldnt hardly shoot more than 50 rounds at a time.

You could also try storing the gun with the slide locked open for a while and see if that helps.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    I'm going to head to Wilbur bright and early before work tomorrow and use either Federal or Remington this time. Also after some more reading I'm going to reevaluate my grip, as I could be guilty of confusing "grabbing the gun really hard" with "not limp-wristing". Mechanically the slide should lock back, it does it when I cycle the gun manually so the only explanation I can come up with is my grip was improper for such a little handgun.

I will leave the slide locked back tonight as well to see if that loosens it up a bit.

joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    This is totally anecdotal, but it might be something to pay attention to next time you bring your pf9 to the range: I have a friend that has accompanied me to the range before bringing along with him his pf9. I had never shot one before so per usual etiquette he offered me to shoot it. I shot one mag through it and after the last round it locked back. He was suprised because as long as he had the gun it never locked back after the last round. He shot it next and sure enough the slide didnt lock back. I offered him my glock 19 and after the last round it didnt lock back. Now that got me going. I asked him to shoot it again and I watched closely as he shot it. Ah ha! His support hand thumb was ever so slightly resting on the slide lock lever causing the slide not to latch. He altered his grip and tried his pf9 and sure enough the slide locked.
    Not to say this is what is wrong with your gun. Joshua

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Once you get used to the trigger, it is an accurate gun at self defense distance.

Picture of my last time out with my PF9. I did have some flyer's, but it's because I slapped the trigger. Still, for a par $300 gun I'm very pleased.

002-35.jpg

I carry mine OWB in one of these. www.holsterkings.com I actually wear the holster between my pants and belt around 4 O'clock position. It conceals easily, and is very comfortable!

Top Bottom