• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Nickel plated brass, and the factory load was probably a hot and/or +p carry load. Nickel brass is usually a little more brittle, does not stand up to repeated reloading very well, and usually ends up splitting after only one or two. What you are experiencing is not uncommon when dealing with reloads from an unknown source and/or reloader.

glock27

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    No damage in the cylinders.
    I've got another 50 of these rounds because I bought 2 boxes. Are they going to be ok to shoot?? Just seems crazy. No more of these crap rounds for me

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    You are saying .38 S&W......... Do you mean a .38 special chambered revolver made by Smith & Wesson, or do you mean a revolver chambered for .38 S&W? A pistol chambered for .38 S&W SHOULD NOT fire .38 special cartridges!!!!!!! (just checking)

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A 442 should be a 38 special. But.... OP, I would be willing to check out your ammo and revolver if you like.

Those are really alarming splits.

Did your hand really sting when shooting that ammo?

I wouldn't shoot them anymore.

I am in Huntertown.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am with the poster above. With heavily used, tired old brass, you might lose a couple of cases to cracks, but 14 in a box is pretty improbable if everything is proper. I do not see a lot of brass deformation that would be seen of there was an issue with oversized chambers in the revolver. I would take that ammo apart for salvage and buy other ammo for your handgun.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I see that with mil surp 7.62x54r steel case in my Mosin, but not 14 out of 50. The Mosin probably has a pretty loose chamber that the S&W should not. Take the other box back or pull the bullets, I would not keep shooting these. Jim.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If the recoil seemed greater than factory standard-pressure rounds, I would assume they are overloaded and stop shooting them.
    If the recoil seemed the same as standard-pressure factory rounds, it is probably just tired and brittle brass.
    Either way, it's probably best not to shoot them and be more careful about your ammo sources.

glock27

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Got them from Precision Cartridge Inc.
    I've put about 200 of some standard load Remington rounds.
    It is indeed a .38 special.
    Mo excessive recoil and no power burns on my hands when shooting. Didn't even know the cases were splitting until one didn't drop out of the cylinder when turned over. Had to push the extractor to get it out.
    Pretty sure I won't be using the other box. I've gotten rounds from them before with no problems but they were .40 and .223 with brass casings.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My advice would be to discard the rounds and stay away from any reloaded ammunition from any gun show (think snake oil salesman). The only reloaded ammunition I buy is the remanufactured from Black Hills, Ultramax or a reputable name brand company. And by that I mean stay away from any individuals or generic companies at the Indy 1500 or ANY gun show.

glock27

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    My advice would be to discard the rounds and stay away from any reloaded ammunition from any gun show (think snake oil salesman). The only reloaded ammunition I buy is the remanufactured from Black Hills, Ultramax or a reputable name brand company. And by that I mean stay away from any individuals or generic companies at the Indy 1500 or ANY gun show.

Big 'ol 10-4 on this one...
    Definately not going to get any other reloads. Not worth the risk it seems

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I'm with Indy_guy. I would call them and see what they say. I would ask for them to return my money. If they don't then there isn't much you can do except don't ever buy from them again and share your true experience with others.

If they were overcharged hot loads - they shouldn't have been. If it was old brass that cracked the first time you shot them from the weapon they were intended to shoot them from - they shouldn't have. I can see no reason why you should not be able to recover your money from someone that is wanting to continue in business.

ETA - reloading can be a very dangerous process. Buying ammo that is reloaded by someone else can be a dangerous decision. Shooting ammo that is reloaded by someone else can be a very dangerous experience.

Last edited:

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I've had this happen with nickle-plated +P cases and +P reloads. I'll occasionally have a standard pressure case give after numerous reloadings.

If you weren't experiencing any other ill effects (excessive recoil, unburnt powder, etc...) I'd probably shoot the lot of 'em out of a hardy 357 magnum rated gun and just be over it...but IANAL, AND YMMV!

Top Bottom