• ...and so much more!
  • Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    Hi,
    I'm in the market for a home tool chest for my garage and could use some advice and suggestions on manufacturers. This is for home use only, not commercial.

I've shopped Lowe's and Harbor Freight - not that crazy about the HF model, I was thinking maybe Sears. I want something that is going to be durable but not cost an arm and a leg, similar to the model in the pic.

Thanks!

moz-screenshot-1.png
    image_2244.jpg

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I worked with some guys that had the box and for around the house it is ok but if you scratch it get some paint on it asap because it will rust (at least that is what I have seen and heard).

Keep an eye out on craigslist... There are deals on bokes on there all the time and are better quality and may cost the same.

I got a Craftsman about that size with the roller bearing drawers and grip latches for like $350 and it was a $550 or so box and just had a few scratches...

If you have a lot of tools and really weigh the drawers down having the ball bearings makes things a lot easier and smoother.

Id have a hard time buying a box new..... to many for sale that is in new or near new shape for a lot cheaper.

I have found there really is no middle ground with boxes...... mine is pretty nice but put a same size Snap-on or MAC next to it and you will laugh at the Craftsman......

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I still have my Snap-On box, I used it since 1988. I probably have a 100 miles on it, rolling around the shop.:dunno:
    If I were to by a box for HOME, to sit in the garage and hold tools, I would get a Craftsman, with roller bearings on the drawer guides, and make sure you can take the handles off.:yesway:
    The roller bearings are soooo nice when loaded when the drawers get loaded, and if you lock it, and take the handles off, they are a booger to STEAL. :laugh: Buy as many of your tools in sets, save the package and store in your box in the original packing so they dont get lost.:twocents:

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Buy as big a box as you can afford. No matter how big it looks when you buy it, it WILL fill up.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I still have my Snap-On box, I used it since 1988. I probably have a 100 miles on it, rolling around the shop.:dunno:
    If I were to by a box for HOME, to sit in the garage and hold tools, I would get a Craftsman, with roller bearings on the drawer guides, and make sure you can take the handles off.:yesway:
    The roller bearings are soooo nice when loaded when the drawers get loaded, and if you lock it, and take the handles off, they are a booger to STEAL. :laugh: Buy as many of your tools in sets, save the package and store in your box in the original packing so they dont get lost.:twocents:

Have a descent pry-bar and you could get into one sadly...

Snap-on's are a lot harder if you ask me because they use a lot thicker gauge steel and I think their locking mechanisims (sp?) are better.

Buy as big a box as you can afford. No matter how big it looks when you buy it, it WILL fill up.
    :+1:

I have had mine for 2 years and it can't fit everything I have. At some point I will need the upper chest for it.... If I pull out all the aviation only stuff in it and the drawer of drill bits I MIGHT be albe to get it all in.... I just wish the drawers were deeper.

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    Thanks for all of the suggestions and ideas for a manufacturer!! :yesway:

I'm going to hold off on buying for a few more days, it seems like there are several mechanics on this forum as well (some of the folks that replied may be as well) and they may have some more ideas.

Right now I am leaning towards a scratch and dent Craftsman, in a bigger size than I need. I agree that I'll probably "outgrow" it.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I debated between the 40" Craftsman and the 40" Kobalt one from Lowes. I went with the Kobalt one. Drawers rolled nicer, came with liners, had a built in power strip and better casters. It was $900 new, top and bottom. I'm happy with it. Not quite full yet.

The next one I get will be a Craigslist Snap-on.

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    I debated between the 40" Craftsman and the 40" Kobalt one from Lowes. I went with the Kobalt one. Drawers rolled nicer, came with liners, had a built in power strip and better casters. It was $900 new, top and bottom. I'm happy with it. Not quite full yet.

The next one I get will be a Craigslist Snap-on.

I have had a 40" Craftsman for about 20 years. Only complaints are. I had to support the bottom of the box to hold the weight because the wheels were bending in. Also I wish it had roller slides. I have it over full and need to upgrade just to cheep to do it.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Check out the Stainless one Sam's Club carries. I bought mine as a cheaper work box several years ago. I needed something right then and there, and did not have the cash for a good commercial box. I would definitely buy a second one. SS exterior, roller slides for the drawers and pretty decent casters. It has survived 5 years in a factory. It would last a lifetime in a garage...

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I had a Craftsman 42" top and bottom at work. Ball bearing slides. It was alright, but I was wanting something better. So I took the Craftsman home and got me a Wiallams toolbox. Much better quality, but higher price. For home work a Craftsman tool box is hard to beat.

Indysioux

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Carmel IN
    I have a 40" Craftsman, which was the largest I could buy for the space I had. Got it used off of Craigslist. Ball bearing slides are great. Great for the weekend-warrior.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Thanks for all of the suggestions and ideas for a manufacturer!! :yesway:

I'm going to hold off on buying for a few more days, it seems like there are several mechanics on this forum as well (some of the folks that replied may be as well) and they may have some more ideas.

Right now I am leaning towards a scratch and dent Craftsman, in a bigger size than I need. I agree that I'll probably "outgrow" it.

There is a place in Bakers Corner that sells Craftsman scratch and dent boxs.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    IIRC, Waterloo makes Craftsman boxes and you could probably get them a good bit cheaper if you could find a Waterloo dealer. http://www.waterlooindustries.com/pdfs/WaterlooCatalog2008.pdf

When I looked for a new box, I went with a Clarke brand box from Rural King. I got a 40" top and bottom for around $7-800. I don't know if they still carry them or not as I couldn't find it on their site but they don't keep everything on their site. I think it is heavier built than Craftsman's cheaper boxes and was still cheaper. What I love about mine is that it has 3 rows of 3 drawers on the top left with 3 full width drawers below it and 3 drawers on the right for the top box. I use the 9 small drawers to separate files, nut drivers, torx, etc. The bottom box has standard width drawers on the left and the narrow drawers on the right. The only things I don't like about my box is that it doesn't have a full 40" drawer on top of the bottom box and the gold drawer pulls. The box is black and the gold trim makes it look like it belongs in a pimp garage.

Top Bottom