• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaplain45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Noblesville
    A friend and I are looking to build an AR Lower. Mine will go under a 450 Bushmaster upper. I have a Weaver punch and screwdriver tool set ... That is the extent of my "gun smithing" tools . This is my first build. What other tools will we need? I tend to be frugal, but I try to not be cheap. I appreciate your help INGO. If there is a sticky post (like the one for people new to reloading ) please send me in that direction . I looked but did not find one. Thanks again.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    You will need to buy a wrench for your castle nut this is the only specialized tool you will need when putting a lower together.
    Other than that besides the punches, and the screwdrivers you have you will also need a hammer. Needle nose pliers and a utility knife can also be useful for some of the little tasks with springs and pins but they are not necessary.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    I live in Fishers and have all the tools you might need to get this done. You guys are welcome to come over and use my facilities and tools. I will even provide some instruction or answer questions if you like.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Some people laugh, but a "Bed-in-Bag" bag, the big clear plastic bag with a zipper on one side, are great for first-time lower assemblers.
    You can assemble the entire lower inside the bag, which will catch any launched springs or pins, and still have a clear view of the operation.

It's cheap and easy, and may save you a few days wait while another detent spring/pin are located and shipped.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Some people laugh, but a "Bed-in-Bag" bag, the big clear plastic bag with a zipper on one side, are great for first-time lower assemblers.
    You can assemble the entire lower inside the bag, which will catch any launched springs or pins, and still have a clear view of the operation.

It's cheap and easy, and may save you a few days wait while another detent spring/pin are located and shipped.

This would have helped me. The detent for my rear takedown pin launched into oblivion.

Tangero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Lake County
    Small brass hammer, a long screwdriver for the grip (I've had grip screws be hex, Philips, and blade), and reinforced packing tape. The tape is good in a couple layers so you don't scratch up your lower when tapping the bolt catch roll pin in. The Tapco castle nut wrench is pretty good, though I know Magpul just came out with one

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    There's the bare minimum then there's the bag-o-tricks that just make it easier.

Bench vice to hold the lower & to hold the buffer extension tube when torquing the castle nut..
    Roll pin punches.
    Blue painter's tape to prevent marring your lower.
    1/4" hitch pin to help install the front take down detent.
    A sharp punch & medium hammer to stake the castle nut.

Chaplain45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Noblesville
    :ingo: This is very helpful. I simply had no clue. I look forward to moving ahead with this project. Electronrider and throttletony, excellent video. Lazarus0213 thanks for the offer, I will check with my neighbor and see what he thinks we can do here. I will pm if we need to head your way. What a great resource ! Thanks again :rockwoot:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

Someone told me to put it in a bag when I started mine. Yup, I snickered to myself. I put a white sheet across the bed so I could see everything, set the laptop beside it with that ARFCOM link and video and went to work, no bag. I didn't close the bedroom door and the cat flew across the room thinking it was play time. Parts went everywhere. 30 minutes and one banished cat later I had all the pieces back. Started again. Got to the detent and it took off like an evil force was after it. I never found it. This was a Saturday and no one was processing orders online until Monday. I got the parts (yes I ordered more than one just in case) on the next Thursday. I put everything in a bag the next time. Yes, it got away again but stayed in the bag. To this day I build them in a bag at certain points.

GET A BAG.

Of course when my wife wanted to try and build her own I told her to use a bag. She didn't listen, but did lock the cat out. No bag, watching the same video, using the same tools. She throws hers together like she had done it for years. Go figure.

Chaplain45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Noblesville
    Completed the lower build this evening. As stated earlier thanks :ingo: for all the helpful suggestions. I watched the suggested video a couple of times and then used it step by step through the process. Here are the components (all of which were purchased at our local gun shop Bare Arms).
    Receiver - Anderson
    parts kit - DPMS
    Buffer tube - ATI (mil spec)
    Buttstock - Magpul
    also purchased a magazine vice mount and an ar armorer's tool
    Somewhat scary (fear of getting it wrong or sending springs into oblivion), sometimes tedious, yet a lot of fun. One lesson learned, keep the project in the clear plastic bag ANYTIME a SPRING is involved ;) Again, thank you :rockwoot:
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Look....there are only maybe 4 to 6 parts that want to fly off around the room. We have all done it. It is a right of passage. Let the n00bie crawl around on his hands and knees looking for said parts. It has to be man. It just has to.

Chaplain45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Noblesville
    Look....there are only maybe 4 to 6 parts that want to fly off around the room. We have all done it. It is a right of passage. Let the n00bie crawl around on his hands and knees looking for said parts. It has to be man. It just has to.

well, this noobiee was reaching under the car in the garage for a spring...good news is I found it :draw:

Top Bottom