• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sassy lassy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Elizabeth
    I'm not sure that the population of gays folks is only 3.5%. Ive heard for years that it was around 10%. I found a recent article that IMO seems to be from a fairly legit source suggesting up to 20%.

What Percent of the Population is Gay? More Than You Think | Smart News | Smithsonian

In any event, I've read some fantastic posts in this thread that don't necessarily support gay marriage, but certainly rebuke why it shouldn't be allowed, and I won't regurgitate them here. I will say that I've been with my partner for almost 24 years. We would love to be able to get married in our home state and not have to travel cross country to do so. We have no desire to force a church to perform our wedding, or have a baker get their panties in a bunch by making us a cake. We would simply prefer gay friendly people for those things. And, just to be clear, we have no desire to marry a relative, our dog, or a fence post. Just each other. And when that day comes (hopefully in Indiana before we croak), I'm sure the world won't come crashing down on our straight married friends, who collectively, have had numerous divorces. Just my :twocents:.
    Should the time ever come in Indiana, I may not be able to bake your cake, but I would be honored to make the topper for you. :)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That piece of paper you get from the state does not make you married, it is just a piece of paper from the state giving each of you certain rights pertaining to the other. I can go to the Church down the road and get married in front of God and family if I wish without the piece of paper, the state is just willing to sell me this legal contract at a very fair price.

Anyone should be able to get this same piece of paper(contract) from the state if they so choose. Me and my brother, me and my sister, me and my mom, anyone.

That piece of paper represents state recognition of your marriage. I don't think the state needs to recognize anything. It isn't their business. You can get a will drawn up online for less than I paid for my marriage license. Seems enterprising people might draw up contracts online between people who want some legal bond with each other.

What was the OP about

I think the OP purposely intended on purpose with the intent that this thread would be an argument about gay marriage.

So why not quit *****ing about such a minute percentage of people and just let them have their rights/liberties/freedoms? You wouldn't have nearly as many gays/lesbians out there making a scene if so many people weren't trying to deny them these things just because they aren't the "norm". It's 3.5% of the population, how on earth can 3.5% of the population being allowed to have a marriage license going to affect your life in any way? And who's morals are we going against here when we allow gay marriage? Sure the hell not mine. Actually I'd say denying somebody a right to get married is immoral, but what do I know? I don't have a book to tell me what wrong and right is.

Well. I wasn't *****ing. I don't care with what or whom or how you'd like to bind yourself. Just keep it out of my face.

I am disappointed that hairy breasts didn't hijack this thread. Their'y're smokin'.
    You are one sick puppy.
    If they get to have this cheap contract then me and my cousin should be able to do the same thing just as cheap if we were so inclined.
    If the state (presumably the "people") get to issue it. Then they get to define the parameters.
    We conservatives complain about "social engineering" when it involves letting gays openly serve in the military. Yet we'll defend "social engineering" when it comes to the tax code and what are considered moral families. Do away with the tax incentives.
    :yesway:

10% across the board income tax. No deductions. Everyone pays. Even businesses. Did I mention no deductions? But YOU get to decide where your money goes.
    Marriage is a word.... nothing more... nothing less. From now on I call myself King Lucky... please show me where you must now recognize my title? If two men CALL THEMSELVES married... why do YOU have to recognize it?

If a man and a woman call themselves MARRIED... please tell me why I or anyone else needs to recognize that self appointed title? Tell me why our government should recognize ANY self appointed titles?

I don't give a **** what people historically have done.... Your bibles rules shouldn't govern me. Nor should its definitions of titles. You can't give me ONE REASON why .gov should recognize the term marriage. If you could...you would shut me up and give me a SINGLE REASON why it is necessary. Don't give me your bibles reasons... don't give me historical reasons. GIVE ME ONE REASON .gov has for entertaining the notion of marriage? One....

Government issues the license. It gets to define what that license does. People vote for the government that defines things the way they like. I think the people's government has no business in people's personal lives.

I'm not sure that the population of gays folks is only 3.5%. Ive heard for years that it was around 10%. I found a recent article that IMO seems to be from a fairly legit source suggesting up to 20%.

What Percent of the Population is Gay? More Than You Think | Smart News | Smithsonian
    Individuals and groups of people like to think they are more than they are. The anti-gun lobby wanted to think it had enough popular opinion to force silly gun laws on the nation after Sandy Hook.

The University of California is as supportive of LGBT as any university. I'm sure their study was done fairly. Other major studies come to roughly the same number.

3.5% of the US population is ~10,000,000 people.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    But why stop at two? If Gay marriage is acceptable what about a man loving two women or a woman loving two men? THat is the problem that happens when you mess with age old definitions. WHo is anyone to say it should just be between two people if its ok to change the typical definition ( and the one myself and many will always keep) that a marriage is aunion of one man and one woman.?

Why would it matter? 10 people, 20 people... so what? They all deem themselves In love... why should the state or anyone else even bother recognizing their self anointed titles.

I title myself King Lucky.... you don't see the state giving me any breaks. What's the difference?

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville

In any event, I've read some fantastic posts in this thread that don't necessarily support gay marriage, but certainly rebuke why it shouldn't be allowed, and I won't regurgitate them here. I will say that I've been with my partner for almost 24 years. We would love to be able to get married in our home state and not have to travel cross country to do so. We have no desire to force a church to perform our wedding, or have a baker get their panties in a bunch by making us a cake. We would simply prefer gay friendly people for those things. And, just to be clear, we have no desire to marry a relative, our dog, or a fence post. Just each other. And when that day comes (hopefully in Indiana before we croak), I'm sure the world won't come crashing down on our straight married friends, who collectively, have had numerous divorces. Just my :twocents:.

I speak for myself...I would go to war to defend you from an intrusive government that would try to limit your freedom as a human being ...What you do, and who you love is no business of mine. The problem that I see, and have been watching for many years is, that many..(unlike yourself) DEMAND acceptance of their particular lifestyle, even within the framework of institutions that have always been opposed, on religious grounds.
    I have friends who pastor churches in Canada, who have been threatened on the strength of "hate speech" type laws. When the struggle for "marriage equality" is likened to the civil rights movement of the 50s and 60s..I have a problem!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The other part of this issue that hasn't been really discussed here is that this Gay Marriage debate is a Republican end-around to get the people whipped up into a frenzy to the point where the two sides band together and gather at the statehouse holding signs and shouting slogans. For the law-makers, it's really like a summer vacation (in winter) away from the difficult work. Kind of like how we would sometimes try to get a teacher side-tracked to talk about some current event or issue in high school to avoid algebra.

The real ignorant are those of us who believe that any state senator gives a rats ass who marries who, as they drive home after the vote in their car that cost more than your house.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Scenario #1:

A state senator is working in his office and his assistant walks in.

Assistant: Senator, I just learned that the gay marriage ban that we promised the church leaders is two votes shy of passage and the vote is in two hours.
    Senator: Wow, that’s disappointing. I’m going to lunch now, you can fill me in on where we are when I get back. If it doesn’t pass, you can call those church leaders tomorrow and let them know we fought the good fight and that we’ll get them next time. Did you make my lunch reservation?

Scenario #2:
    A state senator is working in his office and his assistant walks in.
    Assistant: Senator, I just learned that piece of legislation that will greatly benefit one of your big donors is ten votes shy of passage and the vote is tomorrow.
    Senator: Tell everyone in the office that nobody goes home tonight. Get everyone together NOW and formulate a plan to get those votes! You call Mr. Donor right now and tell him this isn't over!

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    No race involved. I agree most wholeheartedly, that Government should not be involved in marriage at all. I certainly believe that we need some type of drastic change in our system of taxation. Being pro-freedom, would you believe that my church should be liable to prosecution for discrimination, if we refused to hire an individual because of their choice of lifestyle?

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Government issues the license. It gets to define what that license does. People vote for the government that defines things the way they like. I think the people's government has no business in people's personal lives.

Therein lies the problem isn't it? This is the result of what happens when people misdiagnose what "marriage" ultimately is. Marriage has no business being defined as a legal binding contract. Marriage from a government standpoint, should be nothing more than a self appointed title and therefore to regulate it would be nothing more than a violation of free speech.

So what... two men want to call themselves married? That shouldn't be regulated any more than me calling my daughter "P-nut" which I've done for 10 years now.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    No race involved. I agree most wholeheartedly, that Government should not be involved in marriage at all. I certainly believe that we need some type of drastic change in our system of taxation. Being pro-freedom, would you believe that my church should be liable to prosecution for discrimination, if we refused to hire an individual because of their choice of lifestyle?
    Ask youself the same question. If you where refused employment based of your lifestyle would you sew ?

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I do not think anyone has a problem with two men calling themselves married. I have a problem with someone telling me that I have to call them married.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I do not think anyone has a problem with two men calling themselves married. I have a problem with someone telling me that I have to call them married.

Who is telling you that?

(assuming you are married)... I don't have to call you married or even recognize that you are married if I don't want.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Where in the world does it say that Christianity owns a monopoly on the term Marriage?

The word marriage wasn't even invented until the 1200's... Stop making the ridiculous argument that religion somehow gets sole ownership of the title "married". Besides... what is this ridiculous obsession with the word anyway?

"You can't use the word married... you have to call it civil union".... GTFO... who cares what you call it?

They dont have a monopoly on a word. But unfortunately you dont seem to understand what marriage is to some people. You have your definition and everyone else is ridiculous? Also I never said you cant use the word married thats you making stuff up. Thank you for letting me know when words are created, I had no idea.

Its not so much the word but what it means to others is obviously not what it means to you. Its the same argument, my meaning is not hindering you why do you care? Religion does not get sole ownership nor does the government. Yeah gays can be "married" but those who do not agree with it wont see it and recognize it as such. Which in the future could effect those people. But since you seem all knowing please tell me how that is not the case, unless you dont know what the future holds.

Lets have the anti gunners have something they would like to while we are at it.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Its not so much the word but what it means to others is obviously not what it means to you. Its the same argument, my meaning is not hindering you why do you care?

I'm not trying to regulate anyone with my definition... that is the difference. You don't want to see gays get married or call themselves married? I could care less.... Make the argument that the state should uphold your views and we have a problem.

The state shouldn't recognize anyones views on marriage. Its none of their ****ing business.... and they sures as hell shouldn't be giving anyone any benefits from the title either.

Top Bottom