• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Since I first began to be interested in guns, I've just wanted to collect all different types. ARs, AKs, bolt guns, pistols, revolvers, shotguns, I wanted them all. As of late I've been questioning that.

I have started to take notice of certain events in life that make me uncomfortable and have therefore taken on a prepper mindset. My thoughts have gone to caliber consolidation and common calibers. I want to be able to use what little money I have to best prepare my family for any coming disaster.

First, I think the best calibers would be .22lr, 9mm, .223/5.56, .308(or .30-06; not sure yet), and 12ga.

Here are my problems:

1) I've wanted a "traditional" AK for my collection, as well as a Mosin. I acquired both of them before this mindset kicked in. Basically I need to shift from collector to prepper and a limited budget means trading instead of buying. I can't afford to be both.

2) My wife and I both carry .45 because we like the round in terms of power and management. It is more expensive and capacity restricting. Once again, I'd have to trade these.

I'm not really sure if I'm posting this for justification, intervention, or what. Can anyone help me out here?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Sure, there is NOTHING wrong, with the Mosin, or the AK.....

on cal., consolidation, I am talking about reloading, mostly .....

Some want to consolidate, types of weapons, like have all glocks, for mag., interchange...

I also agree with this .....

You and your wife, both carry .45... are they the same, does the same mag., work ?????

if so, then you are on your way !!!!!

The calibers you have listed, are good...IMHO..... The difference in a 308, and a 3006, are minimal....

I prefer the 308, because of interchangeability with 7.62 mm brass is everywhere !!!!

So do what YOUR experience and pocketbook tells you to do !!!!!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    First thing is first... both the AK and Mosin-Nagant can fill prominent roles in your preparedness system.

In fact the Mosin-Nagant is one of the best prepping guns there is. It can be used in defense of your property and for hunting. Surplus ammo is super cheap and easy to find and store.

If I were you, I'd cut out the .308 before i gave up a Mosin-Nagant.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I have to go with keeping the guns you have. There is absolutely nothing wrong with them and the combloc rifles are not only effective and versatile, but as mentioned above, cheap to feed, hence you can stack the ammunition deep. As for 9mm being cheaper than .45ACP, don't worry about it. In a critical situation, at least 90% of your shooting will be done with the rifles. Beyond this, battlefield pickup. Enough said.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I recently went through the same. Sold everything and started over. Invested more in hand loading too.

Down to five caliburs and could easily take it to three. Now what little money I have can go into hand loading and buying in bulk.

I am very happy with my decision. Give it some thought and cut some stuff loose. Good luck.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    We both have Glocks and I have a 1911 as well. The cost issue is more with trying to stock ammo and still afford practice ammo which is more affordable with 9mm. Also, any battlefield pick up is more than likely going to be 9mm. Her grandfather has reloading equipment for 9mm so I would have to buy dies and components that are different.

My biggest problem with keeping the AK is that I prefer my AR as a go to gun and I know the platform very well.

The Mosin is more of a safe queen due to the corrosive nature of the ammo. If I could find a "new" Mosin, something currently produced that wasn't halfway through it's lifespan already, it wouldn't bother me as much. I'm also hesitant to try tampering with a historic gun to add a scope. Does anyone make x54r Remington 700 barrels?

I guess I could try to trade the AR for a newer AK, like one of the new American Kalashnikovs assuming they don't start out at Arsenal prices. I really don't wanna mess with my NPAP because I bought it for the "traditional" aesthetics.

I appreciate everybody answering and being helpful because this is big to me. My guns are like my babies and the sources of pride, besides my wife and son. If I were a single guy I'd just buy what I want and keep what I have but it's not as easy to do that trying to feed a family. I can't even remember the last time I bought ammo or got any trigger time.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Well, let's see...

Totally changing up in preference to buying some new dies seems like building a new house to fit the couch you want to buy in my reckoning.

Battlefield pickup: Where there is ammunition there will generally also be guns. In fact, the bigger concern is having plenty of guns available without ammunition.

I can understand going with the platform with which you are comfortable, but if economics are the concern I am understanding them to be, you are talking about trading for a more expensive rifle that uses more expensive ammunition. I will also point out that the AK in hand beats the hell out of the AR on the shopping list. If you already have the AR (which you really haven't specified one way or other) that is a different story. If you have both, you and your wife are both armed.

Don't fret so much about the Mosin. It doesn't need anything which is what makes it a good gun for the purpose. If I were starting out prepping on a really tight budget, I would buy one as my primary rifle given that I could buy the rifle and enough ammunition to last until the Second Coming of Christ for the money an AR or even an AK would cost. Also, even with years of honest use, the things wear like anvils, have long reach even with iron sights, and go 'bang' every time.

Don't worry so much about perfection. If you can hunt, protect yourself from dangerous animals, and protect yourself from dangerous humans, you are covered. In a SHTF you are likely to face dangerous enough people like those who are hungry and those who are criminals, but you aren't likely to be facing down Seal Team 6 or anyone of comparable capability or equipment. I am not suggesting that being underprepared is a virtue but don't put all your resources into guns without also providing for your other needs. It really is a complex balancing act.

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    When we started getting prepared, we chose the same calibers you listed and for the same reasons. We only had one firearm at the time so it was pretty easy to make the choice then. I would say keep what you have. A big part of the mental preparedness (aka the important) side of it is learning to play the cards you have, not the cards you wish you had. Ultimately firearms are not very high on the survival priority list, as long as they're in good working order and you are proficient with what you've got, you'll be fine.

dibdee83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    indiana
    I was in your predicament once and ended up consolidating calibers and finding a system that worked for me as well as my family. Remember you can only carry so much ammo and firearms so don't overdo the firearms and neglect other areas. Have the minimum firearms and stock up on all other areas like food,medical and tools then start back at the firearms again. I see a lot of guys with tons of guns and ammo but no food or medical supplies.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Just a thought concerning "battlefield pickup". Don't forget what was previously the "in" thing in pistol and rifle calibers; .40 cal was THE most popular police handgun round for about 10 years. Those pistols haven't all gone away; they're still out there along with their ammo stocks and magazines. The same is true of 7.62x39, .308 (which is a downloaded, shortened 30.06 round), and even .30-30. Those firearms and their ammo are still around in significant numbers, even though newer calibers like .300 Blackout, 5.56/.223, and 5.45x39 enjoy current popularity. And even the .30 cal carbine round may be making a comeback since M1 Carbines are now being manufactured new. Stock what you like and you're comfortable with, but don't worry too much about those "obsolete" caliber weapons you're holding.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Diversification and consolidation can BOTH be valuable prepping strategies depending on your goals.

The question really is, what are your planned goals and how does each item fulfill those goals? How does your prepping lifestyle balance with your everyday lifestyle?

To me, caliber/weapon consolidation has a purpose in TEOTWAWKI prepping where you're storing up spare parts, ammunition, etc.

TEOTWAWKI prepping is WAY, WAY down the list on prepping for me...

Caliber/weapon diversification has it's advantages in short-term SHTF type prepping where it may be hard to find ammo but not impossible. Diversification can leave you with more options for picking up supplies etc.

Last, but not least, how does it all balance with my regular everyday lifestyle? I'm a collector & fun shooter; every gun I own is in my collection because I enjoy shooting it or it's a gun that I want to pass on to my kids some day. I have AK's, AR's, various handguns, shotguns, rifles, and NFA weapons. They all play a part in my regular everyday lifestyle and therefore I'm not going to let prepping for TEOTWAWKI force me into getting rid of any of them...

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    There's nothing wrong with wanting to consolidate calibers, in your situation it sounds like it would be beneficial to do so a little bit. Money's tight and buying ammo and accessories for multiple guns is expensive, so much so it sounds like you have a hard time getting range time in. It would make sense to use guns that are cheaper to feed, and heck if you do decide to get rid of any its a little extra cash in the pocket for more ammo.

On the other hand, if you got a platform that you know well I would probably keep it even if ammo is a bit more expensive. The ak is easy to learn and adjust to and ammo is cheap, the mosin is easy to adjust to and cheap to feed.

The most likely scenarios for prepping would not require a room full of ammo, so try to narrow down to use, like interior home defense, exterior home defense, carry gun, food gun, etc. Then caliber, after that narrowing you should have a little more to spend for ammo and range time.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    We both have Glocks and I have a 1911 as well. The cost issue is more with trying to stock ammo and still afford practice ammo which is more affordable with 9mm. Also, any battlefield pick up is more than likely going to be 9mm. Her grandfather has reloading equipment for 9mm so I would have to buy dies and components that are different.

My biggest problem with keeping the AK is that I prefer my AR as a go to gun and I know the platform very well.

The Mosin is more of a safe queen due to the corrosive nature of the ammo. If I could find a "new" Mosin, something currently produced that wasn't halfway through it's lifespan already, it wouldn't bother me as much. I'm also hesitant to try tampering with a historic gun to add a scope. Does anyone make x54r Remington 700 barrels?

I guess I could try to trade the AR for a newer AK, like one of the new American Kalashnikovs assuming they don't start out at Arsenal prices. I really don't wanna mess with my NPAP because I bought it for the "traditional" aesthetics.

I appreciate everybody answering and being helpful because this is big to me. My guns are like my babies and the sources of pride, besides my wife and son. If I were a single guy I'd just buy what I want and keep what I have but it's not as easy to do that trying to feed a family. I can't even remember the last time I bought ammo or got any trigger time.

I would not trade, or sell..... Keep what you have..... You haven't stated, but I am going to guess, the glocks, are 9mm.

Concentrate, on re loading 9mm. Buy dies, for .45 next. If you can reload 9mm, you can reload .45.

Then start buying components. I am a BIG fan, of 5.56/.223 & 308/7.62.....

If you need ANY help, I am willing, as others, here on INGO.....

Good Luck..... Keep us posted, on the decisions, you make .....

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The Glocks are a 21(mine) and a 30S(hers). I started the .45 "trend" and we bought hers specifically to go with mine. I got .45 because I wanted to be different from all the 9mm fanboys.

I'm thinking now that we're going to try to train her primarily with the AK and I'll keep the AR.

I hadn't considered the diversification idea. I'm starting to think about stocking heavier for the primary weapons and just stocking a bit for the "odd" calibers.

Fear not, we're already considering food and medical preps. Don't be surprised to see threads on those from me in the future.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    If you want a Mosin, get one or 2. They are cheap and ammo is even cheaper. I have 1 already and I'm picking up another one tomorrow, along with another spam can of ammo. The rifle and can of ammo (440 rds) cost me under $300.

The Mosin can do everything you need in a SHTF situation. I would trust my life to one. I would certainly rather have my ARs, but wouldn't hesitate for a second on picking up my Mosin if it was what was handy at the time.

With the availability and low cost of 7.62x54r I don't even really factor it in to my caliber count. It's the cheapest caliber I have, outside of .22, so I don't even worry about it.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Ruffnek,

I believe you may be creating a problem where none exists, so IF I am correct you have nothing to worry about.

I collect olde military rifles, many C&R's. These are not at the top of ANY prepping list! Of course they are useful but not as versatile as newer, semiautomatic rifles. This doesn't mean I stop collecting them for prepping. It simply means I balance my thoughts on firearms.

Let's say you inherited your grandfathers stamp collection, and as a kid you and grandpa worked on his collection together. It has some meaning for you and since you were nine (9) years olde you have been fascinated by the history and art of stamps, coupled with very fond memories of you and grandpa spending time together. Once you consider prepping would you just throw away your stamp collection " 'cause they ain't worth squat in a SHTF scenario?" I would hope not! You would put what money you could toward your stamp collection while at the same time putting money toward prepping. You wouldn't have to give up the stamp collection, just balance the household income in a different way.

From your original post you may not have had a "focused" collection mentality. If this is the case then you may well simply modify your acquisition of firearms with more of a prepping mentality while still keeping many "less versatile" firearms for collecting or simple fun shooting. All you need to do here is to focus on the best prepping guns as you go forward while occasionally picking up a nonprepping firearm just because you like it.

On the other hand, if you WERE picking up firearms with the prepping as the main goal then you have improved yourself by thinking things through better and may well trade/sell some weak prep guns for some strong prep guns.

Either way you look at it, there is no harm no foul for you!

For true prepping I agree that caliber consolidation along with interchangeable magazines is smart and logical. Just don't let prepping rule your life! You still need to have fun and enjoy quality time on your own and with loved ones. There must come a point when all the insurance that can be bought has been bought and any more is just a waste of money.

Regards,

Doug

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    In all honesty, I think you're focusing on the wrong things.

Focus on the most likely scenario - a semi-long term outtage of provided services due to some kind of natural disaster or disasters.

Prep on having water, food, and medications on hand for 2-3 weeks. Or the ability to procure said supplies (water purification, ability to hunt/clean/cook).

Prepping for a Red Dawn situation should be well down the list of things to prepare for, IMO.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Weapons check. Now for other preppper goods. Generator, supplies, harden your home defense(lights/locks), camping gear, Bug Out Location(or cabin). Training classes!
    Sign up for winter classes too. First Aid, CPR-AED, Basics. Now you are rolling. Good luck.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Weapons prepping is easy.

There are guns that use mags and guns that don't. Learn from the AWB and plan ahead. Some use expensive mags, some use cheaper mags. The Govt does not like mags. If you are ADD you will own 3-4 handguns in 3 calibers and none SHARE mags. Always in a state of buying and selling, always at a loss.

There are heirlooms, fun guns and working guns. Two you leave in a safe hoping they will still be there when/if you return some day. Same rule applies to gardening.

Wheels: Guns, ammo and water are heavy. For every 10 mags you buy, buy 5 large caster type wheels. Everything you buy or build gets put on wheels. Racks go on wheels. Pallets, drum dollies, some work benches go on wheels.

Top Bottom