• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Glad to hear something finally worked out!

I had to go through the process of hiring a new employee back in late Jan/early Feb. It was my first time doing so, and it was an eye opener, let me tell ya!

I got quite a few applications for the open position, but I’d wager half of them were unfit for the job to begin with based on experience and qualifications. Of the remaining half, probably half of them were disqualified because their resume was horrible (single sentences of about six to ten words max explaining each job they’d had, often with an average of a new job per year), and a few that I called out of near desperation had personalities to match said resumes lol.

I finally got down to two applicants that were a good match. One was probably a solid kid, but he had an internship all summer in NY and was only looking for part-time work. The position stated full-time. I interviewed him just to see if those plans were all solid, which they were. That left me with one applicant, who I’ve since hired and she’s doing a great job.

It IS a tough market out there. Lots of good advice in here, but for anyone else still looking, realize that even if you didn’t get the job, you were still probably WELL above half the population who applied. Sometimes it’s a tiny little thing that causes you to miss out, so don’t give up hope!
    When I was at Navient I had to rebuild my team a couple times. It was rough finding good candidates. I did find two really incredible teammates but it wasn't easy.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Time to learn windows server and azure 365. Support around 3k endpoints almost none of our clients use Linux anymore
    Tell me again how Linux is dying!

I have run Linux (Ubuntu/Debian derivatives) as my primary desktop since 1999. I have converted several friends and acquaintances from Windows to Linux. They are very satisfied and rarely call me for support anymore.

If necessary, Windows runs great as a VM running under Linux, I run a copy of W10 to host my iTunes software to keep my phone backed up and sync'd.

The company I used to work for had a 100% linux server infrastructure with over 900 systems across 3 geographically placed DCs. All the developers and IT staff ran linux desktops. The only users of Windows were the execs and office staff supported by an AD server (x3 for redundancy) and a storage share server (x3). Company runs on Google Docs.

Linux is growing. Conversely, Windows 11 is beginning to put off many IT managers and users and are looking for paths off the platform.

The latest shenanigans by Broadcom to suddenly remove support for free ESXi and VMware perpetual licensing is causing much disruption in the industry at the moment.

• Its capabilities account for 39.2% of websites whose operating systems are known. (W3Techs)
    • 85% of smartphones are powered by Linux (Hayden James).
    • Its marketing share is 2.09 %. is, without doubt, third in Statista’s top ten most-used desktop operating systems.
    • By 2027, the global Linux market will reach $15.64 trillion.
    • Linux is the operating system of all the world’s fastest supercomputers. (Blackdown)
    • 96.3% of The top 1,000,000 web servers use Linux. (ZDNet)
    • Active Linux distros are still available today(Tecmint).
    • In 2022, Linux claimed a 34% market share in the container orchestration market, reflecting its versatility.
    • Linux holds approximately 3% of the desktop operating system market share according to StatCounter.
    • The Linux kernel, the core of the operating system, consists of more than 80 million lines of code, showcasing its complexity and robustness.
    • Linux is the preferred choice for web hosting, powering more than 95% of the top 1 million websites.
    • It enjoys ubiquity in the supercomputing realm, running on 100% of the world’s supercomputers.
    • In 2022, Linux server revenue reached an impressive USD 13.4 billion, indicating its economic significance.
    • Linux offers a diverse landscape with over 500 different distributions catering to various user needs.
    • The cloud computing landscape heavily relies on Linux, with over 90% of public cloud workloads being Linux-based.
    • Despite its desktop market share, Linux accounts for approximately 36.7% of all operating systems on desktop computers.
    • Android, built on the Linux kernel, dominates the global smartphone market with a staggering 70% market share.
    • The Linux server market is expected to continue growing with an annual growth rate of 8.6%.
    • Linux’s prowess extends to supercomputing, as over 92% of the world’s top 500 fastest supercomputers run on Linux.
    • The global community of active Linux users exceeds a remarkable 100 million.
    • Android, a Linux-based operating system, sees over 1.5 billion smartphone shipments annually.
    • The embedded Linux market boasts an estimated size of USD 5.3 billion, signifying its role in various industries.
    • Linux is the platform of choice for 68% of IoT devices and systems, indicating its reliability.
    • With over 25,000 contributors, the Linux kernel enjoys robust development and continuous improvement.
    • The enterprise Linux market is projected to reach USB 14.4 billion by 2025, driven by business adoption.
    • Linux’s reputation for security is strong, being considered 10 times more secure than some other operating systems.
    • Linux plays a critical role in the world’s stock exchanges, powering more than 75% of them.
    • Its open-source nature leads to an average of 10,000 lines of code added daily, demonstrating its active development.
    • Linux remains the primary operating system for 70% of web servers globally.
    • Job postings related to Linux have surged by 31% in the last year, highlighting the high demand for Linux professionals.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy

I have run Linux (Ubuntu/Debian derivatives) as my primary desktop since 1999. I have converted several friends and acquaintances from Windows to Linux. They are very satisfied and rarely call me for support anymore.

If necessary, Windows runs great as a VM running under Linux, I run a copy of W10 to host my iTunes software to keep my phone backed up and sync'd.

The company I used to work for had a 100% linux server infrastructure with over 900 systems across 3 geographically placed DCs. All the developers and IT staff ran linux desktops. The only users of Windows were the execs and office staff supported by an AD server (x3 for redundancy) and a storage share server (x3). Company runs on Google Docs.

Linux is growing. Conversely, Windows 11 is beginning to put off many IT managers and users and are looking for paths off the platform.

The latest shenanigans by Broadcom to suddenly remove support for free ESXi and VMware perpetual licensing is causing much disruption in the industry at the moment.

• Its capabilities account for 39.2% of websites whose operating systems are known. (W3Techs)
    • Its marketing share is 2.09 %. is, without doubt, third in Statista’s top ten most-used desktop operating systems.
    • Linux is the operating system of all the world’s fastest supercomputers. (Blackdown)
    • In 2022, Linux claimed a 34% market share in the container orchestration market, reflecting its versatility.
    • Linux holds approximately 3% of the desktop operating system market share according to StatCounter.
    • The Linux kernel, the core of the operating system, consists of more than 80 million lines of code, showcasing its complexity and robustness.
    • Linux is the preferred choice for web hosting, powering more than 95% of the top 1 million websites.
    • It enjoys ubiquity in the supercomputing realm, running on 100% of the world’s supercomputers.
    • In 2022, Linux server revenue reached an impressive USD 13.4 billion, indicating its economic significance.
    • Linux offers a diverse landscape with over 500 different distributions catering to various user needs.
    • The cloud computing landscape heavily relies on Linux, with over 90% of public cloud workloads being Linux-based.
    • Despite its desktop market share, Linux accounts for approximately 36.7% of all operating systems on desktop computers.
    • Android, built on the Linux kernel, dominates the global smartphone market with a staggering 70% market share.
    • The Linux server market is expected to continue growing with an annual growth rate of 8.6%.
    • Linux’s prowess extends to supercomputing, as over 92% of the world’s top 500 fastest supercomputers run on Linux.
    • Android, a Linux-based operating system, sees over 1.5 billion smartphone shipments annually.
    • The embedded Linux market boasts an estimated size of USD 5.3 billion, signifying its role in various industries.
    • Linux is the platform of choice for 68% of IoT devices and systems, indicating its reliability.
    • With over 25,000 contributors, the Linux kernel enjoys robust development and continuous improvement.
    • The enterprise Linux market is projected to reach USB 14.4 billion by 2025, driven by business adoption.
    • Linux’s reputation for security is strong, being considered 10 times more secure than some other operating systems.
    • Linux plays a critical role in the world’s stock exchanges, powering more than 75% of them.
    • Its open-source nature leads to an average of 10,000 lines of code added daily, demonstrating its active development.
    • Job postings related to Linux have surged by 31% in the last year, highlighting the high demand for Linux professionals.
    My man!

Linux is far from dead. Some country gov's are moving to it. Russia is developing their own kernel. Also like 90% of could servers are Linux.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

They told me COBOL was not just dying, but dead 30 years ago too! :):

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I recently interviewed a candidate that may have been using ChatGPT or another generative AI for the interview. At first i just thought he was spouting out a bunch of different things he had done without answering the questions. The other person on the call with me said the answers sounded AI generated which I didn't really think so but on the next question it took him some time to begin answering a "have you used this, if so tell us about it" type question and I really had to wonder. Needless to say the candidate did not move forward.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I recently interviewed a candidate that may have been using ChatGPT or another generative AI for the interview. At first i just thought he was spouting out a bunch of different things he had done without answering the questions. The other person on the call with me said the answers sounded AI generated which I didn't really think so but on the next question it took him some time to begin answering a "have you used this, if so tell us about it" type question and I really had to wonder. Needless to say the candidate did not move forward.
    There's a website I think it's lastroundai.com? Maybe?

That you can feed interview questions to and it will give you answers

sea.fellow89

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2023
    fort wayne

Lots of typing not much reading comprehension going on here. Sorry to offend the bearded Linux Atheist crowd, I have met many of you and never understood your emotional attachment, however, I have learned not to argue with it. So lets break down the situation here. My comment was based on this guy seeking employment in the IT field in Indiana. The reality is once you get the boot from an internal IT job most people bounce over the an MSP for a couple months/years until they find another company to bring them in house and overpay them. Most MSPs in the state support companies in the 10-100 user range. Companies in this range are typically living in the Microsoft stack. They usually only have 0-3 Servers on site and minimal virtualization ( of course there are outliers, had a 15 seater with 34 virtual servers across 4 boxes. yes 34). Outside of a hypervisor or some other auxiliary device, a lot of small businesses are completely Linux free and 100% in the Microsoft stack. They are also moving more and more off prem as they switch over to cloud based HaSS. When I first started everyone had exchange and a DC on site. Now only the people riding out old over priced hardware are in that situation. So just to appease the chili dog scented among us, please reference my original post i said " non of OUR clinets" as in my anecdotal sample size of 1. No where did I say Linux was dying. No where did I say linux wasnt important, No where did i say linux was bad. I was simply telling this guy that unless he wants to sit around a few months waiting on a cushy enterprise level position, polishing up on Microsoft cloud skills is what will get him a job immediatley at mosty MSP or small businesses in indiana.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Lots of typing not much reading comprehension going on here. Sorry to offend the bearded Linux Atheist crowd, I have met many of you and never understood your emotional attachment, however, I have learned not to argue with it. So lets break down the situation here. My comment was based on this guy seeking employment in the IT field in Indiana. The reality is once you get the boot from an internal IT job most people bounce over the an MSP for a couple months/years until they find another company to bring them in house and overpay them. Most MSPs in the state support companies in the 10-100 user range. Companies in this range are typically living in the Microsoft stack. They usually only have 0-3 Servers on site and minimal virtualization ( of course there are outliers, had a 15 seater with 34 virtual servers across 4 boxes. yes 34). Outside of a hypervisor or some other auxiliary device, a lot of small businesses are completely Linux free and 100% in the Microsoft stack. They are also moving more and more off prem as they switch over to cloud based HaSS. When I first started everyone had exchange and a DC on site. Now only the people riding out old over priced hardware are in that situation. So just to appease the chili dog scented among us, please reference my original post i said " non of OUR clinets" as in my anecdotal sample size of 1. No where did I say Linux was dying. No where did I say linux wasnt important, No where did i say linux was bad. I was simply telling this guy that unless he wants to sit around a few months waiting on a cushy enterprise level position, polishing up on Microsoft cloud skills is what will get him a job immediatley at mosty MSP or small businesses in indiana.
    There is a world of difference between, "Might be time to learn some additional skills like Windows server and Azure" and "Time to learn windows server and azure 365. Support around 3k endpoints almost none of our clients use Linux anymore"

The first sounds like helpful advice, the second is the arrogant Windows Admin stuff I hear all the time. Linux has its place in small & medium businesses as much as Windows. Sometimes it makes more sense to use Linux than it does to use Windows.

I say this as someone who has done AD, Exchange, Network Engineering, Linux Admin, IT Manager, Network Admin, etc. Worked for the largest MSPs in the world, the small businesses, large businesses and everything in-between.

More skills is always better. Being stuck in a silo only able to use a hammer is a bad place to be, having the whole toolbox helps you craft a better solution for your customers.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    "I use Linux to run Windows to keep my iPhone updated."

This is how you tell normies, women, and old people you're significantly smarter than they are, without having to come right out and say it.

sea.fellow89

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2023
    fort wayne
    There is a world of difference between, "Might be time to learn some additional skills like Windows server and Azure" and "Time to learn windows server and azure 365. Support around 3k endpoints almost none of our clients use Linux anymore"

The first sounds like helpful advice, the second is the arrogant Windows Admin stuff I hear all the time. Linux has its place in small & medium businesses as much as Windows. Sometimes it makes more sense to use Linux than it does to use Windows.

I say this as someone who has done AD, Exchange, Network Engineering, Linux Admin, IT Manager, Network Admin, etc. Worked for the largest MSPs in the world, the small businesses, large businesses and everything in-between.

More skills is always better. Being stuck in a silo only able to use a hammer is a bad place to be, having the whole toolbox helps you craft a better solution for your customers.
    Again context is key here. This thread is based on a Linux admin who has been looking for work for 6 months unsuccessfully. You guys turn everything into this dont tread on muh linux, emotion based arguments. The reality is NO ONE IS HIRING HIM. That's the point of the thread. All I was saying was for him to add these simple cakewalk Microsoft skills to his tool kit and he would get a job in a week! It was never about what is better, what has a place, what doesnt, it was simply me, a guy who has sat in on about 50+ tech interviews at an MSP, telling this unemployed guy what would be the most effiecent thing to brush up on to get a job in the region he lives in.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Also I just noticed that silly exchange above....

Lol wow.

Mr sea-world or what ever his name was is way off base. Also he may need to "go touch grass" as the kids say. :D

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Also I just noticed that silly exchange above....

Lol wow.

Mr sea-world or what ever his name was is way off base. Also he may need to "go touch grass" as the kids say. :D
    Seems to be the general take on some of these new guys. They come across as arrogant self-centered.

You can't come across that here unless you've been here a few rotations LOL

Congrats on the new job I remember when you posted what happened. Glad everything worked out!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Seems to be the general take on some of these new guys. They come across as arrogant self-centered.

You can't come across that here unless you've been here a few rotations LOL

Congrats on the new job I remember when you posted what happened. Glad everything worked out!

Yep, I think the reception would have been much different if the tone of the response had been "hey, have you thought of seeing what type of admin positions are open in your area and then doing some training in that area". Heck, didn't even have to specify one OS over the other or anything like that. There are tons of job sites that you can look at for trends, or recruiters you can talk to that will let you know what is currently hot and hiring. That's good for getting a job right away that you can have to make ends meet while you search for a position you really want, or if you want to switch up what you do and are okay with that. For someone who really likes being a Linux admin and doesn't want to do anything else, that's the only role they're going to want. I was very lucky that when I moved from 16 years of IT support to InfoSec, I actually enjoyed my new role as much or more than I had enjoyed IT support. It's hard to work a job you don't like.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Oh yeah 100%. Over in the long gun forum there was a thread about clone MP5s.. some arrogant brand new guy comes in telling everybody who has a clone MP5 that they're all junk and that the only good ones are the ones made by H&K. He came across as a insufferable self-appointed prick.

He was bragging about all of his so-called H&K MP5 stuff, but oddly enough didn't post any evidence that he really had all that stuff even when questioned about it.

He disappeared after a few drive-by snotty posts.

I kind of wonder if some of these new guys that come in with attitude, ended up getting banned from other websites and came in here so they could show their ass

Top Bottom