• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That looks like it would be a blast. Unfortunately I've been off my bike for three weeks now waiting for my appointment to have a bike fit done. My appointment is next Saturday and I'm anxious to get it done and get back to riding. I've been trying to make up for the lost ride time by running but it's just not the same.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    That looks like it would be a blast. Unfortunately I've been off my bike for three weeks now waiting for my appointment to have a bike fit done. My appointment is next Saturday and I'm anxious to get it done and get back to riding. I've been trying to make up for the lost ride time by running but it's just not the same.

I am curious what type of bike are you riding? I was in Bikeline yesterday and saw that they have all the new computerized stuff to do bike fitting. Looked really complicated.

I used to ride a Cannondale R300 road bike. After 20-30 miles, it got too painful in my seat, shoulders wrists and hands. I had the bike fitted to me at BGI but it made no difference. Other riders told me that it was all about conditioning, but no amount of riding ever made got me to a place where it was comfortable for long rides. Several years later I bought a used Infinity recumbent and never looked back. I still have a Cannondale Quick and H400 for around town and work.

It is much easier on a trike. Once the boom length and seat angle are set, it is a much more comfortable ride. I noticed that as I am riding, my body will naturally adapt to the best place to sit on the seat for comfort. Also makes for a good ab workout. Takes a while to get your "recumbent legs" but once you do, it feels much more natural than having a seat post up one's posterior.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I am curious what type of bike are you riding? I was in Bikeline yesterday and saw that they have all the new computerized stuff to do bike fitting. Looked really complicated.

Never underestimate the ability of a professional bike fitter to select a frame and make your bike fit your body. I would be skeptical of a fitter that relied too much on a computer to make fit decisions. The body is far too complicated to have a computer make all those decisions. Had my LBS owner do my original fit and a few years later was at a race training camp. The UCI coach at camp did a bike fit and the only change in my set up was moving my seat post about a quarter inch. My bike still rides like a dream.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

I've got a 2014 Scott Solace 20 that I bought new a couple of months ago. The shop owner did an initial fit and everything was fine for the first few hundred miles. I swapped out the saddle and switched from Look to Speedplay pedals and the knee problems began.

I'm no fan of BGI and wouldn't pay for them to do a fit. They sold me a road bike that was way too small (52cm vs the 56cm I have now) when I was brand new and didn't know what I was doing (not that I really do now lol). I won't be going back in there.

I ran 7 miles on Friday and my knees were reminding me that they weren't happy. I decided to try some glucosamine chondroitin and started taking if Friday afternoon. Went on a 3.5 mile run this morning and never felt a thing. Could be working, could be the placebo effect, doesn't matter to me as long as they're not hurting!

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I've got a 2014 Scott Solace 20 that I bought new a couple of months ago. The shop owner did an initial fit and everything was fine for the first few hundred miles. I swapped out the saddle and switched from Look to Speedplay pedals and the knee problems began.

If you changed saddles and pedals both that is two huge contact points that changed that will affect your bike fit. The position of your pelvis and hip bones may have changed with a new saddle. Also your stack height from the center of your pedal axis to the ball of you foot may have changed as well as your fore/aft position on both the pedals and saddle. Millimeters and degrees make a huge difference when you are repeating the same body motion a 100 times a minute, depending on your cadence.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw

I'm no fan of BGI and wouldn't pay for them to do a fit. They sold me a road bike that was way too small (52cm vs the 56cm I have now) when I was brand new and didn't know what I was doing (not that I really do now lol). I won't be going back in there.

I ran 7 miles on Friday and my knees were reminding me that they weren't happy. I decided to try some glucosamine chondroitin and started taking if Friday afternoon. Went on a 3.5 mile run this morning and never felt a thing. Could be working, could be the placebo effect, doesn't matter to me as long as they're not hurting!

I also use glucosamine and it helps tremendously. I can tell when I don't take it, the joints start to hurt just getting out of bed,

KittySlayer is also has a really good insight on bike fit. He definitely has much more experience at it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If you changed saddles and pedals both that is two huge contact points that changed that will affect your bike fit. The position of your pelvis and hip bones may have changed with a new saddle. Also your stack height from the center of your pedal axis to the ball of you foot may have changed as well as your fore/aft position on both the pedals and saddle. Millimeters and degrees make a huge difference when you are repeating the same body motion a 100 times a minute, depending on your cadence.

I'm aware of that, which is why I'm paying for a fit this weekend. I expect the gentleman I'm seeing is pretty good. He came highly recommended by a triathlete friend and his earliest appointment was three weeks out. It's also a lifetime fit so I can go back as needed free of charge as long as I'm using the same bike.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'm aware of that, which is why I'm paying for a fit this weekend. I expect the gentleman I'm seeing is pretty good. He came highly recommended by a triathlete friend and his earliest appointment was three weeks out. It's also a lifetime fit so I can go back as needed free of charge as long as I'm using the same bike.

If you don't mind me asking, who is doing your fit? I had one done at grey goat sports a few years back, and Scott did a great job. I also work part time in a shop, and the manager has been to a trek for school and does a great job.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If you don't mind me asking, who is doing your fit? I had one done at grey goat sports a few years back, and Scott did a great job. I also work part time in a shop, and the manager has been to a trek for school and does a great job.

Travis Rassat at Vector Cycle Works

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I will happily refer anyone to my fitter. He is in Brownsburg and has done fits for over 20 years. Lifetime fit is an option with him. Which I like as ideally I should get refitted annually. As the body changes, small changes in the bike are needed.

Top Bottom