• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Let's say you were going to tour the continental 48 on your trusty Electra Glide, Gold Wing, Chieftain, etc. and you didn't want to leave home without protection. For the sake of sanity, we'll assume that your bike has a lockable trunk and/or bags.

The best thing I can think of to cover all states and leave you protected would be a 1911 (capacity limits) locked in one bag and a few loaded mags locked in the other bag or a revolver locked in one bag and some speed strips/speed loaders/moon clips locked in the other.

GO!

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    It won't offer much "protection" if it's locked in a bag or compartment or someone steals your bike. Maybe you meant "protection" from law enforcement? I understand your situation - you are faced with an unlimited array of laws and codes that no one can possibly know without lugging a book around and many laws are open to "interpretation" by any clown with a badge. There is almost no way you can "protect" yourself without violating some ridiculous ordinance somewhere. Personally I feel that if your gun isn't secured on your person all of the time - you may as well leave it at home. I stopped worrying about carry laws many years ago.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I do believe in some states a loaded magazine is considered a loaded firearm

That used to be the case in Ohio. I don't believe there's other states that wacky.

handgunlaw.us is your friend when traveling. There's no good "this covers all states" scenario except leaving it at home. For trips that don't include draconian states like NY/NJ, you're probably best just stopping at rest stops before the borders and "adjusting" as required.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    That would work as long as you avoided CA & several east coast states. Of course, w/ the right combo of licenses, you could just carry in the same states (again, avoiding CA & several east coast states).

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have lived in certain cities and counties in Missouri, Illinois and Indiana where a loaded magazine just by itself can get you charged with "possession of a loaded weapon" by some cops. The problem is there are simply too many laws and they change as you move around. That's why they should all be repealed.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    As said before do not go to CA or some of the east coast states for any reason. Without looking it up I think I am correct there are still some east coast where a loaded mag is considered a loaded weapon. Some of these states also ban hollow points. www.handgunlaw.us is your friend, use it well. Jim.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Avoid the east coast above Virginia. Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont are friendly states, but you have to cross unfriendly territory. Oh yeah... they're jerks in South Carolina as well. Don't go there. Avoid the west coast below Washington. Illinois should be crossed but not stopped in.

Open carry is also an option in some states like Nebraska and New Mexico that don't honor an Indiana LTCH. Honestly, I would do a lot of research on where I was going to be, and print out supporting documents for questionable states if stopped.

And don't go to New Jersey. There is no reason in the world to ever go there. Just don't.

Chris

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    You can't do it. Its just not possible, as a civilian, to travel on a motorcycle, to all 48 states, with a hand gun, and not break the law. In some states (new Jersey, and possibly others) it can be a felony just POSSESSING a hallow point, regardless if you have a gun to shoot it out of or not.
    Your best bet is to separate the firearm and ammo in your locked saddle bags while traveling in questionable states, and if stopped exercise your 4th amendment rights. Lie if you have to, tell them you don't have a key to access that bag.
    I know, "if its not on me then why have it?"
    Because when I go into a hotel room at night to sleep, I'm gonna have it on the nightstand beside me. Because when I goto the next state where I am legal to carry or posses, I'm gonna have it.
    And yes, don't goto Jersey, there is no reason in the world to go there.
    I'm getting ready to do a ride like this in May, going from Indiana to Colorado, then south to Texas, and from there along the gulf then up the east coast to Mass, then to Michigan. I don't care if it takes me a day out of my way, I will not goto Jersey. Its illegal to pump your own gas there! (really look it up)

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    I was offered a position in Jersey, I kindly said no you couldn't pay me enough to want to live there.

Top Bottom