• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShelbyCo.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2010
    Marietta
    Other than being cool and fun to shoot, I was wondering are there any real world applications for tracer rounds? I have some and like I said they are fun to shoot but I cant help but wonder why else I would need/want to buy them.
    I would like to hear your thoughts.

Rhino12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Real world outside the military? Not many?

Some civilian ideas(?...just making some ideas up here...?):
    1. Used to show new shooters flight trajectories
    2. Mythbusters-style testing, does XYZ catch fire from tracers
    3. "Mark" a target to have others fire on
    4. For long range shooting, seeing how they drift at extreme distances can help judge windage beyond the muzzle (if other indicators aren't present).

Note, I've done #4 once since my spotter couldn't see the bullet impacts for my first shots. Although the tracers aren't as accurate, it at least gives you a better visual of what is happening down range.

Others?

-Rhino12

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    those are actually very good reasons. I was trying to think of some and couldnt really think of any, but those are very good points

Real world outside the military? Not many?

Some civilian ideas(?...just making some ideas up here...?):
    1. Used to show new shooters flight trajectories
    2. Mythbusters-style testing, does XYZ catch fire from tracers
    3. "Mark" a target to have others fire on
    4. For long range shooting, seeing how they drift at extreme distances can help judge windage beyond the muzzle (if other indicators aren't present).

Note, I've done #4 once since my spotter couldn't see the bullet impacts for my first shots. Although the tracers aren't as accurate, it at least gives you a better visual of what is happening down range.

Others?

-Rhino12

Rhino12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Glad I could help! :D I would like to see if anyone else has any more ideas. I have a few hundred .308 tracers left sitting around.

RipkinC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Indy
    Another idea I have heard is loading your last xx amount in a mag so you know when your low, good for tac-classes, your HD mags, not sure if comp-legal though.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Another idea I have heard is loading your last xx amount in a mag so you know when your low, good for tac-classes, your HD mags, not sure if comp-legal though.
    ^^This. For rifles with no last round hold open (like CETME/HK91/G3 and .308 AK variants) they can be loaded first into the mag to indicate time for a reload.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    They have their uses.

Pointing out targets for others.
    Setting stuff on fire
    Load them so that they tell you when the mag is empty.
    Nighttime firing, you can walk the fire onto the target if need be.
    You can demonstrate just how rounds ricochet like crazy downrange.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Some good posts and ideas here. I like especially using a tracer as the last round in a rifle without bolt hold open.

I know you asked about outside the military uses but I just wanted to mention this one thing. If you ever find yourself on a 2 way shooting range. Keep in mind that tracers work both ways. You see where you are shooting BUT you are giving the other guy a pretty good idea of where you are even though they don't light immediately after leaving your rifle.

Things that seem awesome and cool in training don't always seem like such a good idea when the $%@T gets real. Something I learned the hard way.

YMMV

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I use 22lr tracers when teaching kids how to shoot. I think the tracer makes it easier to see where the bullet went and it helps get the point across to the kid that something is going to come flying out of the end of the barrel. My little girl took her first shot with a 22lr tracer.

Otherwise, I'd agree that they help in long range to see how the wind is treating you and they are definately more fun to shoot in general. I wish they were allowed at my range.

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    If you are a reloader lots of tracers that don't light 100% are the cheapest projectiles you can buy. Not accurate but good blasting projos.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    I go out west to shoot remote control airplanes down with tracers. Without tracers its hard to lead them properly.

chuck

Top Bottom