• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bucmaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Maybe after the blizzard lets up when can see some tracks.Most of the season the deer have been nocturnal since early bow season in Jackson County,Has anyone had any luck tracking deer in the snow?

Unobogus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    We don't normally have enough snow to try it out. Now we get it and I have to try and get to work.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I hunted last Sunday. It had snowed on Friday. I saw a beautiful 10-pointer pass only 20 yards from my stand on the Monday before that, but already took my buck this year. I saw fresh tracks in the snow near my stand on Sunday, so my area is still hot. I heard several shots Sunday afternoon, and I talked to a group of hunters who took three does not far from me. I'm going out tomorrow morning (Thursday) and Friday. Hoping to leave a little red in the snow when I leave! ;)

PowerShot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    I use tracks as more of an idea where they're most active, not nessicarly to track them, but you probally cen depending on the terrain.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    It can be done. You may need alot of land access to find them though. They can travel quite a distance. Most people do not have that access. I used to but not anymore. Will probably be some fast off hand shooting, if you see him get up. If not you may see his flag waving at you, then you start all over, with him having the knowledge that you are there.
    It does give a better idea of moving patterns, and sense of what they are doing. They really stand out in the snow too.
    Good Luck! Have not done that in years.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    After a big snow, concentrate on food sources. When it stopped snowing yesterday afternoon, I had a steady procession of deer at my feeder the rest of the afternoon. They day after a big snow is usually a good day to hunt a food source.

I have tracked elk in the snow, but not deer,.....tracked them to a food source after 5 solid days of heavy snow and was treated with seeing over 400 elk feeding in one valley. Rode away 6 hours later with 399 elk in the valley.

Dirty Steve

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    It can be done. You may need alot of land access to find them though. They can travel quite a distance. Most people do not have that access. I used to but not anymore. Will probably be some fast off hand shooting, if you see him get up. If not you may see his flag waving at you, then you start all over, with him having the knowledge that you are there.
    It does give a better idea of moving patterns, and sense of what they are doing. They really stand out in the snow too.
    Good Luck! Have not done that in years.

Tracking works great....until you get to the fence and the sign that says No Hunting....sucks to only have 30 acres to hunt.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I tracked this morning. Found tons of fresh tracks and followed for 2 hours but the 3 does i was following ended up spotting me as i was crossing a creek. :xmad: it gave me a great idea for the rest of the season as to how they are moving in late season. Its always fun to track in the snow whether you come up empty or not, it's a great way to really pursue an animal, rather than waiting in a tree.

Silver-z28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Henry County
    kind of wished Id of kept a doe tag I alwaysed loved hunting in the snow when I was younger. I believe It was more fun than actually killing a wall hanger. Hopefully next year will yield some snow so I can get out and enjoy it. Since I just got some 22 ammo ill be going for some bushy tails this week.

chris317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    I wasn't able to track any deer, but I did track a tresspasser to their house. Turned out to be a couple kids drinking on the property I hunt. After talking to their parents, I don't think they will be back.

bucmaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    hello i went out yesterday december 31 st jackson county. over 12 inches in some areas it was very hard to walk in that much snow.my buddy went up the log trail and jumped up a young buck and doe.they came down in the low area where i was about 5 minutes later .they came running by out 50 yards away.i let the buck pass and tried to get a good shot at the doe . i tried to lead her with my scope. i shot and missed. i walked to their tracks and followed for a couple hundred yards then gave up. i think 2-4 inches would be better for tracking

davebradley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Martinsville, IN
    Its the thrill of the hunt. I'd like about 100 acres of rough woodlands to hunt in. Do my own thing. That's a perfect world. I get deer every morning outside my window, but live in a homeowners association where u can't hunt..... Time to move

Top Bottom