• ...and so much more!
  • kml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    United States
    • sloughfoot
      I have never heard of a first shot POI issue with the Garand? I have never experienced it, unless I caused it.​
    • indyjohn
      Me either. Intrawebz conjecture. I think it's spitting hairs.​

Must just happen to the "collector" grade ones I guess....

I am starting to notice a trend here though...It looks like the chain between you two is about 10 minutes long :):

On a serious note though, that link to the Fulton Armory wasn't very nice at all. No shortage of M1A and Garand temptation there!

A 308 in an '06 probably would make for an interesting fire formed case! I've never done it but did get to witness a guy at a public range in Juneau AK manage to fire a 308 out of a 270 - that was exiting! I half noticed him working pretty hard to get the bolt closed but didn't really think much of it. When he finally did and pulled the trigger he had everyone's undivided attention!

kml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    United States
    Sgt7330 and bowhunter - I'm coming around to your way of thinking! They seem to be addicting. Since ya'll helped me remember why I bought this one in the first place, I've been shopping for the next one! I wouldn't mind a WWII dated SA or Winchester like the one you regret selling Sgt! Do you have any other WWII rifles in your stable?

The first Garand I ever shot was a 1942 Winchester that was lent to me for my first service rifle postal match in about '88. After looking it over and figuring a WWII dated Winchester was pretty cool I told the owner I didn't think I'd be comfortable dropping to position with it so I'd take it slow. He said he wouldn't own a rifle he won't shoot and I could take it easy if I wanted but he sure didn't! I still took it easy....

That was where I first heard of the first round POI thing as that Winchester experienced it. I was told by the owner that the first round out of a clip would be about 2-1/2" toward 11 o' clock from the rest and sure enough they were. I only shot service rifle a handful of times and all with that borrowed Garand (except once*). Small bore and BPCR silhouette were my thing then which is probably why the first round POI thing didn't sit well with me as both of those disciplines were one bullet per target events so any shot not to point of aim was not good, regardless of group size.

Anywho, as far as it being interwebz lore, the book I was pointed to back then for an explanation was Hatcher's notebook. I just went and re-read it to clear my fuzzy memory and He cited an American Rifleman article from 1947 written by CAPT Melvin Johnson (think Johnson rifle). Now I'll admit to not having much experience with semi-auto center fire rifles. I've only owned a handful in my lifetime and went many years with none but this POI idea isn't new and the guys that have perpetuated it are far from internet mall ninjas.

My Garand shoots any round manually chambered about 3" towards 11:30 (at 100 yds) from rounds cycled by recoil. Single loading rounds puts them all up there. You both seem to have much service rifle experience (referencing your location to Camp Perry was a clue!) . If either of you have a remedy I'd be interested to hear of it.

Again, thanks to all that replied reminding me why I bought the Garand in the first place! They won't be this easy to get forever and there is just something about them! Though I've used and carried guns both personally and professionally for the last 20 plus years I don't shoot much any more and when I do my performance is disappointing. I have Parkinson's so I'm being forced to re-evaluate what role guns will fill for me in the future. I have no intention of getting rid of them all but I've been trying to slim down to what I could effectively use if the need were to arise. I like to have enough ammo around for each gun to be able to weather the all too common shortages we've seen in recent years. I just can't justify thousands of rounds each for 20 different guns. I'm not sharing this for any form of pity but to help explain why I'll most likely ask a lot more odd questions as I try to figure out what makes the most sense to keep around.

*I was encouraged at one match to use the Norinco SKS I had just picked up and was showing off. It wasn't "legal" for service rifle competition but I wasn't in ANY danger of being "competitive" anyway and there were a lot of folks who wanted to see how bad a $49 CHICOM sucked. It did, long firing pin and soft commercial primers gave a good lesson on why the 4 rules are really important! Released the bolt on the first round and it proceeded to slam fire 6 rounds! Thank God I had it on a rest pointed down range with my hand on the hand guard. That was fun:rockwoot:.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A 30 shot Garand match starts with 5 sighters followed by 10 shots for record. At 200 yards fired from prone. One round loaded at a time. I have never seen this phenomenon that you speak of.

The next stage is rapid fire, 2 then 8 from prone. This 10 hits in the same area as the slow fire 15.

The only way the rifle can do what you describe, is if the receiver is loose in the stock. And that is easily fixed with toothpicks.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Sounds like a reason to pull mine out to see if I can replicate the phenomenon. However, if it does come from a loose receiver I won't see it as mine is snug in the stock.

Waiting for warmer weather!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    kml, I have just re-read your last post. I am now in my 60's and have been thinking about what rifle I would want to keep around as my last rifle. I have decided that no 30 caliber rifle makes the cut. I have an M1, and M1A, and a couple of bolt guns chambered in other than .223.

I have decided that my Mini-14 in a folding stock will be my last rifle. While I am still able to function though, my M1 with a couple of bandoleers would be the rifle I would grab in extremis if I had to choose which rifle to grab and run.

For the handgun side, my SP101 will get buried with me.

I think I understand what is behind your questions and the reasons for them. FWIW

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Garand

Sgt7330 and bowhunter - I'm coming around to your way of thinking! They seem to be addicting. Since ya'll helped me remember why I bought this one in the first place, I've been shopping for the next one! I wouldn't mind a WWII dated SA or Winchester like the one you regret selling Sgt! Do you have any other WWII rifles in your stable?

I still own a 1944 Springfield in USGI walnut SA/EMcF stock. Its not correct, but it came from CMP with that WWII stock and an unmodified op rod. Also have a 1943 Springfield that is the CMP "Special Grade", all re-parked and dressed in new walnut. Mind you, I am 35 yrs old and carry an AR rifle for a living as a Sheriff's Deputy. Some things change, but 8 rounds of 30-06 in a rugged, reliable rifle is hard to beat any day. I wouldn't hesitate carrying one if needed. One day hope to own a Winchester, that's the only US manufacture I'm missing.

Top Bottom