• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Most of my deer and 1 cow elk fell to a TC "New Englander" in 50 cal. back in the '90. I still have it, but rarely muzzle loader hunt anymore since I have private land to hunt, and always get plenty of deer before cold weather sets in. I once loved muzzle loaders. Just got tired of mandatory cleaning the same day it was shot, and bending over the bathtub to do it.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Most of my deer and 1 cow elk fell to a TC "New Englander" in 50 cal. back in the '90. I still have it, but rarely muzzle loader hunt anymore since I have private land to hunt, and always get plenty of deer before cold weather sets in. I once loved muzzle loaders. Just got tired of mandatory cleaning the same day it was shot, and bending over the bathtub to do it.

The one thing that might cause me to stop shooting my ML is the new rule at W. Wright range that requires everyone to leave your shooting bench and walk over to a loading table to load, then walk back to your bench to shoot. So, you have to leave the stuff on your bench unattended, and either carry your stuff to the loading table each time, or leave your stuff on the loading bench unattended.

As far as cleaning, I stopped using solvents and oil in the bore quite a few years ago, and switched to the TC cleaning liquid and bore butter. I used to put my barrel in a bucket of hot soapy water and swab it out, then dry and oil it. Now I just swab the bore with the cleaning liquid until clean and then run a patch with bore butter through it. After years of doing that, the inside of the bore is slicker, loads easier, and cleans easier.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    You can get BP at Deer Creek Products at Waldron.Get some guys together and buy it by the case.No Hazmat. Do I hunt with traditional ? My profile pic tells the tale.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    The one thing that might cause me to stop shooting my ML is the new rule at W. Wright range that requires everyone to leave your shooting bench and walk over to a loading table to load, then walk back to your bench to shoot. So, you have to leave the stuff on your bench unattended, and either carry your stuff to the loading table each time, or leave your stuff on the loading bench unattended.

As far as cleaning, I stopped using solvents and oil in the bore quite a few years ago, and switched to the TC cleaning liquid and bore butter. I used to put my barrel in a bucket of hot soapy water and swab it out, then dry and oil it. Now I just swab the bore with the cleaning liquid until clean and then run a patch with bore butter through it. After years of doing that, the inside of the bore is slicker, loads easier, and cleans easier.

What you indicate is the norm for BP weapons at W.Wright is also the NEW norm for BP at the Winamac range and from what I understand ALL state ranges. I talked to the DNR in Indianapolis on the phone asking WHY this change all of a sudden after 20+ years of being able to load ML weapons right at the bench with no issues or incidents or problems? They indicated that the "powers that be" were concerned having BP in close proximity to ammo could create a safety/explosion hazard? I asked if there had been such an incident at a state range? They replied "No, but they are just "leaning forward" to negate any chance of one. Anyway...that is what they told me.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    What you indicate is the norm for BP weapons at W.Wright is also the NEW norm for BP at the Winamac range and from what I understand ALL state ranges. I talked to the DNR in Indianapolis on the phone asking WHY this change all of a sudden after 20+ years of being able to load ML weapons right at the bench with no issues or incidents or problems? They indicated that the "powers that be" were concerned having BP in close proximity to ammo could create a safety/explosion hazard? I asked if there had been such an incident at a state range? They replied "No, but they are just "leaning forward" to negate any chance of one. Anyway...that is what they told me.
    I have seen some posts on here in the past with some You Tube videos on it happening at a shooting range. I don't think it was an Indiana range but I could see why they are doing that now if those videos were legit.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I have seen some posts on here in the past with some You Tube videos on it happening at a shooting range. I don't think it was an Indiana range but I could see why they are doing that now if those videos were legit.

To me personally it is just more of a "inconvenience" but not enough to make me stop going to the Winamac range. I suppose that if it were to happen just once, that is all it would take for the anti gunners to start screaming "shut the ranges down" and the elected officials to start asking the DNR officials "why didn't you plan ahead to negate such a incident" Anyway..is all good.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I just picked a really nice 45 cal Hawkens and a really nice TC renegade together in a trade deal. I'm taking one on a hog hunt in Florida in a couple weeks

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    Where is that place in Waldron? I've lived in Shelby county my whole life and never heard of it and does anyone shoot blackhorn out of traditional muzzys. I'm going to start using it in my inline and would like to just buy one type of powder. I know with cva Inlines you have to buy a different type of breech plug just for blackhorn

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    PO Box 246 Waldron 46182 don't have an actual address but Jim's number is 765-525-6181. Seems he's near an old school.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland

Bore butter is good stuff.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    My daughter got her first with a Thompson Center Renegade yesterday morning. 120lb doe. She was amazed at how it jut piled up on the spot. The mountain men were NOT under gunned for the first shot! Far from her first deer but this was first with black powder.
    IMG_20171224_084515723.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom