• ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I also see people driving in the left lane because it is easier to drive there and be on the phone or just zone out.

Ever notice how when you start to pass the car you are passing speeds up, often just because they sense your presence and subconsciously increase their speed.

Saw a sad sack doing that a little while back, cruising in the left at or just under the limit. Watched him speed up intentionally to block several cars from passing on the right.

He tried that same thing with another guy later and that dude nailed the gas and whipped in front of him and about took his bumper off.

From what I could see the left lane citizens patrol guy was waving his hands around having a **** fit and the other guy was laughing at him and flipping him off…

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Happily my tour in Saudi Arabia relieved me of the western-centric rule-bound hegemonic tyranny of traffic laws.

I was able to expand my consciousness to comprehend the beauty of seven lanes of traffic on a street marked for five, nay, FOUR lanes, the kaleidoscopic fascination of five multilane streets converging into a single intersection where everyone has a green light regardless of what is on the traffic control device, and the bladder-emptying thrill of the Ring Road around Riyadh where the minimum speed in the emergency/breakdown lane was whatever you could squeeze out of the engine. The immaculate simplicity of simply driving across a vacant lot and a couple sidewalks when the intersection is jammed up. The brutal portrait of finality as the three axle dumptruck of doom (the only kind of dump truck they had in Saudi Arabia, as far as I could tell) driven by a drug-addled TCN had just accordioned a toyota pickup into the wall. Surrounded by the gentle tapestry of 300 TCNs and Saudis who stopped their cars dead in the road to gawk and argue about what happened and who was at fault - but not to offer assistance or clear a lane.

The reaction of newcomers as we chauffered them from the airport into the city was always worth some giggles. To intensify the experience I always made sure to scream INSHAALLAH! as I launched into the DemolitionDerby vibe of the drive into Riyadh.

This transcendent experience has allowed me to regard my fellow American drivers with a more benevolent and understanding mien … except for that ******* parked in the left lane clogging up the flow. There’s never a three axle dump truck around when you need one.

—————————

p.s. there was one traffic law that was adhered to fairly closely. All streets in the city of Riyadh were one way. This was self enforcing I’m sure; if you ever put a two-way street in Riyadh the ensuing mayhem would be apocalyptic.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Happily my tour in Saudi Arabia relieved me of the western-centric rule-bound hegemonic tyranny of traffic laws.

I was able to expand my consciousness to comprehend the beauty of seven lanes of traffic on a street marked for five, nay, FOUR lanes, the kaleidoscopic fascination of five multilane streets converging into a single intersection where everyone has a green light regardless of what is on the traffic control device, and the bladder-emptying thrill of the Ring Road around Riyadh where the minimum speed in the emergency/breakdown lane was whatever you could squeeze out of the engine. The immaculate simplicity of simply driving across a vacant lot and a couple sidewalks when the intersection is jammed up. The brutal portrait of finality as the three axle dumptruck of doom (the only kind of dump truck they had in Saudi Arabia, as far as I could tell) driven by a drug-addled TCN had just accordioned a toyota pickup into the wall. Surrounded by the gentle tapestry of 300 TCNs and Saudis who stopped their cars dead in the road to gawk and argue about what happened and who was at fault - but not to offer assistance or clear a lane.

The reaction of newcomers as we chauffered them from the airport into the city was always worth some giggles. To intensify the experience I always made sure to scream INSHAALLAH! as I launched into the DemolitionDerby vibe of the drive into Riyadh.

This transcendent experience has allowed me to regard my fellow American drivers with a more benevolent and understanding mien … except for that ******* parked in the left lane clogging up the flow. There’s never a three axle dump truck around when you need one.

—————————

p.s. there was one traffic law that was adhered to fairly closely. All streets in the city of Riyadh were one way. This was self enforcing I’m sure; if you ever put a two-way street in Riyadh the ensuing mayhem would be apocalyptic.
    This reminds me a lot of my visit to Shenzhen, China a few years ago...with the exception that over there the drivers seemed to all drive with one hand on the wheel and the other on the horn. And no one seemed to take offense. The other difference is in the 6 lanes of traffic into 3 at rush hour as you described, I never saw an accident or anyone ever losing their cool.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    ….with one hand on the wheel and the other on the horn. And no one seemed to take offense. The other difference is in the 6 lanes of traffic into 3 at rush hour as you described, I never saw an accident or anyone ever losing their cool.
    Oh how did I leave out the horn? Used constantly, and offense liberally taken.

And accidents. When I picked up my vehicle from the motor pool, there was a large bulletin boards on the wall with about 50 pictures of smashed vehicles, all from the motor pool. Behind the door, there were stored about four more bulletin boards, all covered with pictures of a smashed vehicles. Everyone told me that I could expect to be in at least one accident during my tour.

Amazingly enough, I avoided this. And I do mean amazing.

My favorite nightmare was the story of the three axle dump truck of doom full of hot asphalt that flipped over in an intersection and buried another vehicle with the cargo.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    There is a stop line that is all but ignored…
    In Johnson Co. It is obeyed religiously by many... in triplicate. First there is the pre-stop line stop, then there is a slow creep up to the stop line where they stop again followed by another slow creep into the intersection where they stop a third and final time.

It is also very popular for left turners traveling opposite directions on two lane roads to sit and stare at each other when a stop light turns green instead of simply both making their turns.

Then there are those that come to a complete stop at empty round-abouts but roll through stop signs.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    When sitting at a red light, it is acceptable to continuously creep forward so that by the time the light turns green, you are already half way through the intersection, giving you the superior lane position.

-OR-

When sitting at a red light, it is acceptable to continuously creep forward indicating your impatience. When the light finally turns green and you find yourself in the middle of the intersection, wait 10 seconds before proceeding indicating your complete lack of awareness.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county

—————————

@Alamo,

Did you see a dude with a new Mercedes with two goats sticking there heads out the sunroof?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I shot through a gap between the third and fourth red light runners at Coliseum and Lima in Fort Wayne last night. My light is green folks. I'm going.
    About a year ago, my son was in a hit and run. He was at a red light, and his light turned green. He started to go, and about 3 cars kept coming through their red light. He clipped one of them, and that car took off. Cops came to file a report, and cop told him that he could issue him a ticket for “failure to clear the intersection”. That’s when I showed up and informed the cop that my son has a dash cam clearly showing that the other car was nowhere near the intersection when my son’s light turned green. Cop said he would cut him a break since he was young.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Speaking of roundabouts…

When approaching a roundabout, come to a complete stop even if no other cars are in the roundabout, causing drivers behind you to slam on their brakes and spill their coffee. When inside the roundabout, be sure to slam on your brakes every time you see another car entering to make sure that you yield to them.
    Can't they raise speed limits in roundabouts to 70mph? Crazy people insist on doing 30 mph or ? and seem to have perfect control of their vehicle?

Top Bottom