• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I stated they shared engine, tranny and rear end. Not that they were built identical. Both used the 4L65E tranny. The rear ends were the same as well. How they bolted the parts and pieces together would necessarily be different as they are different cars. I recall many vette owners being a bit ticked about that. Especially since the GTO was $10k+ less than a vette. One definitely looked prettier than the other. From the net...

This is where things get interesting. The first model year of the GTO, 2004, had the 5.7-liter LS1 V8 under the hood. It was pretty much the same engine as the Corvette C5, developing 350 hp and 365 lb-ft of torque. Beginning the 2005, Pontiac replaced the 5.7-liter LS1 V8 with the new 6.0-liter LS2 V8. Neatly, this was the same unit as the C6 Corvette, which came out around the same time.

Surprise #5: Although it'll happily melt its rear BFGoodriches into rubber pudding (a standard traction-control system will step in to save your tires unless you switch it off), the GTO runs not like a shuddering, rackety musclecar, but like a sophisticated executive's express. The muscle is certainly there:
    Under the hood lies the same 5.7-liter LS1 V-8 that powers some Chevrolet Corvettes

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I heard the reason the Fiero was put out of production was because it had more HP to weight than the Corvette, I believe, and the Corvette division didn’t like that.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I heard the reason the Fiero was put out of production was because it had more HP to weight than the Corvette, I believe, and the Corvette division didn’t like that.
    GM was notorious for handcuffing the other divisions to protect a sacred cow. Delorian’s GTO was a famous breaking of those rules…

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    No, it was not the same trans and engine as the vette. C5 onward (1997Y) all have the transmission and dfferential as an assembly at the rear of the car with a torque tube running the length of the car. The GTO used a Dana 44 center section like a C4 vette but without the u-joints like all the Holden Monaro's. The D44 was used in manual trans only C4 corvettes, and a T56 was used like the 4th gen camaro. GTO/Monaro were still front engine, rear wheel drive with the engine and trans connected at the front, the diff in he back like any other normal RWD car. The corvettes are not that.

I stated they shared engine, tranny and rear end. Not that they were built identical. Both used the 4L65E tranny. The rear ends were the same as well. How they bolted the parts and pieces together would necessarily be different as they are different cars. I recall many vette owners being a bit ticked about that. Especially since the GTO was $10k+ less than a vette. One definitely looked prettier than the other. From the net...

This is where things get interesting. The first model year of the GTO, 2004, had the 5.7-liter LS1 V8 under the hood. It was pretty much the same engine as the Corvette C5, developing 350 hp and 365 lb-ft of torque. Beginning the 2005, Pontiac replaced the 5.7-liter LS1 V8 with the new 6.0-liter LS2 V8. Neatly, this was the same unit as the C6 Corvette, which came out around the same time.

Surprise #5: Although it'll happily melt its rear BFGoodriches into rubber pudding (a standard traction-control system will step in to save your tires unless you switch it off), the GTO runs not like a shuddering, rackety musclecar, but like a sophisticated executive's express. The muscle is certainly there:
    Under the hood lies the same 5.7-liter LS1 V-8 that powers some Chevrolet Corvettes
    Manifest is correct.

The 2005's and up GTO had a slightly detuned LS2 (400hp/400lbs-ft) same as the 'vette. The transmissions were the same too, the '05-'07 C6's used the T56 (2008-13 have the TR6060 as my Grand Sport has) and so did the GTO, the 'vette's gearbox were just mated to the transaxle in the rear - same tranny though and can be detached from the the transaxle. Bellhousing and clutch remain on back of the engine connected via the torque tube to the trans.

My GTO had a 2-piece driveshaft with a carrier bearing in the middle. It was reported to be the weak point in the drivetrain and many owners opted for a one piece aluminum or CF driveshaft. Also independent rear suspension similar to the vette (obviously not the same as vettes have a monoleaf suspension).

The build quality, interior/seats and ride were phenomenal, I had no issues with mine other than a corroded A/C line (warrantied) and a throwout bearaing after 30K I replaced myself with one from a TransAm. The only mod I did to it was a GMPP billet rip-shifter from AU, much tighter and shorter throw than stock.

I paid $26K new out the door and sold it in '19 with 60K mi. for $15,500 after 14 years of ownership to pay for most of the Vette @ $35K.
    Loved the goat but wanted a drop top and the reason I didn't get a Z06 (no verts until the C7).
    1681876856783.png
    C8 specs are amazing, but I can’t get over the awful interior and lack of a true manual.

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Manifest is correct.

The 2005's and up GTO had a slightly detuned LS2 (400hp/400lbs-ft) same as the 'vette. The transmissions were the same too, the '05-'07 C6's used the T56 (2008-13 have the TR6060 as my Grand Sport has) and so did the GTO, the 'vette's gearbox were just mated to the transaxle in the rear - same tranny though and can be detached from the the transaxle. Bellhousing and clutch remain on back of the engine connected via the torque tube to the trans.

My GTO had a 2-piece driveshaft with a carrier bearing in the middle. It was reported to be the weak point in the drivetrain and many owners opted for a one piece aluminum or CF driveshaft. Also independent rear suspension similar to the vette (obviously not the same as vettes have a monoleaf suspension).

The build quality, interior/seats and ride were phenomenal, I had no issues with mine other than a corroded A/C line (warrantied) and a throwout bearaing after 30K I replaced myself with one from a TransAm. The only mod I did to it was a GMPP billet rip-shifter from AU, much tighter and shorter throw than stock.

I paid $26K new out the door and sold it in '19 with 60K mi. for $15,500 after 14 years of ownership to pay for most of the Vette @ $35K.
    Loved the goat but wanted a drop top and the reason I didn't get a Z06 (no verts until the C7).
    View attachment 270540
    C8 specs are amazing, but I can’t get over the awful interior and lack of a true manual.
    Nice pic.

If you need more brake rotors let me know.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Manifest is correct.

View attachment 270540
    Completely different setup but identical. Got it. D44 came from the older C4 and was used in a lot of **** including jags.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I cannot remember if my highest was 131 or 133, but many of you have me beaten by far. Well done, gentlemen!

As for the original question, Indiana is terrible for what you're trying to do. In my younger days, I had many tickets in many states. I got a ticket in upstate NY when my license was a hair from being suspended. I found a lawyer who managed to convert my speeding ticket to three parking tickets. The government got their money, the lawyer made $300, and I did not get a moving violation.

I have not slowed down and don't intend to, but for whatever reason, I don't get tickets anymore. Either I don't get caught or when I do, they just give me a warning. Most egregious violation was 95 in a 65. Tip of the hat to the Fishers PD officer who just gave me a warning for that. There was an exception a few years ago where I did get a ticket on my motorcycle (85 in a 65, but a few miles before that, I was doing triple digits, so it could have been worse). I tried to find a lawyer to help me plead it down to a non-moving violation and found that Indiana does not work that way. T.Lex gave me excellent free advice. I represented myself in night court, but was only able to plead it down to half of the excessive speed.

If you find a lawyer who can make it go away, please let me know. I don't care about paying more money.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Manifest is correct.

View attachment 270540
    Showoff! I'm left wondering what you drive in the winter. If you show me a garage full of Ford 3/4 ton 4x4's...... Oh, and your comment about lack of true manual trannies is spot on. I know modern auto trans with slap/paddle shifters is suppose to be fine, but I just don't get the same exhilaration from those that I get from dumping a clutch.

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Speeding where you're going with the flow of traffic or in the middle of nowhere is one thing. Speeding where there is high likelihood of pedestrians is quite another. Pull them pants up and accept the consequences. If it's something you want to "get out of", maybe stop putting yourself in the position to begin with.

Top Bottom