Trailer shopping tips? 8-10ft utility with ramp and spare.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Heya,

I'm looking for an 8 to 10 ft utility trailer with ramp and a spare. Mostly to move the motorcycle, lawn mower, snow blower, etc.

I know nothing about trailer manufacturers, features, or what I should look for in a trailer that makes one better than another.

Also - if I buy new from a dealer - any negotiation tips or is negotiation generally not an option with trailer dealers?

RangerRider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Fountain County
    I bought my 8x16 at detro trailers south of crawfordsville on 231. Depending on how far you plan on hauling any item. sometimes used works just fine, I still have my 8x10 tilt bed, in back I mostly use it for hauling small stuff close to home. but for longer trips I wanted a new one to haul our two rangers. Not much wiggle room on new price from them, but I did get him to throw in a set of gorrila lift for the back gate. It's a srping loaded lift you put on at home, I can lift the gate with one finger. Good luck .

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I got a used 5x10 several years ago pretty cheap, like $350. It has a tilt feature where you pull a pin and the whole thing tilts, so you don't really need ramps, maybe a piece of plywood to get over the hump. I've carried all kinds of stuff on it, lumber, lawn mowers, lawn waste, furniture, etc. Been planning on welding lugs for a spare on it, but it hasn't been a problem so far. Just make sure you get one with real tires on it. Seemed to be a lot of trailers out west of Indianapolis on 36 at the time, at least as far as 231.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    About 900-1000 new, they come with used tires almost exclusively because good trailer tires are $100 each. If you think you are going to keep it forever just by a new one and get it with a dovetail, the gate/ramp is much shorter and can be lifted with one hand without the need for the spring systems. Being in the Indy area might give you a better chance of finding one used.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Dovetail?

Found a custom builder up north. Can get it built how I want with a folding ramp (saves on wind resistance) and can have it galvanized. Expensive but I will keep it so long as it will last.

macafly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Trailers like guns, so many choices and options. Try to size for the heaviest load you might carry. Will save you heartache in future. May cost a few more bucks, but I've seen bunches of overloaded trailers on the side of the road with blown baby tires, broken/bent axles, and folded tongues. The ramp assists are great back savers.
    The dovetail is the back section of the trailer angled down, allowing shorter ramps. Like many things, you get what you pay for!!
    Cheers

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'm planning on keeping whatever I get until it no longer is worth repairing/maintaining. The biggest thing I'm worried about beyond normal wear and tear is rust.

Do want a ramp - ramp assist is nice but not required. Angle braced fenders, LED lighting, folding tongue, and on-board spare would be ideal with radial tires.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I bought my 16ft utility 1n 1996. I shopped around casually for several months before buying. I bought mine from a guy with a bare bones operation working out of a old gas station. He would take orders and than every few weeks drive down to Missouri and bring them up. My trailer was custom ordered to be extra wide, 102" with a custom bolt pattern 5x5.5 to match my tow vehicle at the time. I had several other custom touches done. I had brakes on both axles and would recommend that. He charged me a very minimal amount for the upgrades, the fancy lots with large inventories wanted a lot more money for any custom touches. IIRC I saved close to 1k compared to other quotes I had. My regrets were not getting new tires, the used ones it came with leaked from the get go and I replaced them. The other regret was in getting standard pine lumber which rotted in a few years. When I replaced my deck I bought treated lumber which I dried and painted before installing. I was concerned about the preservatives in the new caustic treated lumber rusting my frame. So far so good with that. Buy a trailer with name brand axles, Harbor Freight and some box store axles use junk Chinese axles with hard to find bearings. I would also pop for LED lights.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Been using a Tractor Supply 5x10 for a few years. Upgraded to LED lights and mounted a spare and large ammo can storage box on the front. Repacked the bearings with synthetic grease. Been making round trips to Ohio and back, with no problems.

Used to have one of those tilt bed Missouri built custom trailers. It had a wood floor that rotted out after a couple of years. Replaced the boards with treated/painted lumber. It was a good trailer but was as heavy as a small tractor.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Something to keep in mind:

Some of these small trailers (Their tires, really) may not be rated for Interstate speeds.

Be sure you get a trailer capable / safe enough to be towed on the roads you're most likely to use.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Buy for MORE than you plan on using it for....trust me. Buddy has a trailer that we def over-bought for and it has come in handy. Hauls motorcycles, but also hauls some stuff we never thought we'd need it for.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Like I said, make sure you get one with real tires, you can take it anywhere. I've had mine on the interstate many times, no problem. I did replace the bed with treated lumber (it was used after all) and the lights. Welded a stainless washer to the frame for good grounding.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I had a tractor supply trailer and after about 4 years it was rusting bad, had to completely replace the wiring as it was junk, and that mesh ramp on the back killed gas mileage.

I wanted something different and did some research. I was much like you that I wanted real tires, something that wouldn't rust, and something light weight as I would mainly pull it with a car.

I found RNR Trailers in Three Rivers Michigan. The are a factory direct trailer builder, you wont' find their trailer on any dealers lots. You order the trailer and they build it for you, so you can add options like the spare tire and extra tie down hooks. I even upgraded the wheels to aluminum so they wouldn't rust.

Quality All Aluminum Trailers by RNR Trailers | Quality All Aluminum Trailers

Here is a picture of mine hooked to the car with my dirt bike on it.
    Real tires. Aluminum so it can sit outside and not rust and its light weight. I haul my bike and mower easily with it.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Last July I bought a new Load Trail 7.5 by 10. I bought it primarily for my motorcycle but have hauled ATVs on it as well as lawn mowers. It's wide enough to put two full size Harley's side by side if needed. I paid $1300 plus tax. I hauled my bike to Tennessee on it last summer and it pulled great at 85 mph. It has a fold down ramp with lift assist and LED lights. I could have bought a spare tire for it but didn't. It does have the full size tire. For the price I don't think you can beat it. It'll last me a long time.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Dovetail?

Found a custom builder up north. Can get it built how I want with a folding ramp (saves on wind resistance) and can have it galvanized. Expensive but I will keep it so long as it will last.

The back foot or so is tilted down at an angle, which allows there to be a much shorter gate on it.

attachment.php

Top Bottom