• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I came across this blog post by Greg Ellifritz and thought it was interesting. In it, he discusses his biases and assumptions that drive how he trains and teaches.

Assumptions and Biases in Training | Active Response Training

Have you ever considered the biases of the people you seek out for training? Have you really analyzed in any depth the assumptions on which your own training and practice decisions are based? Why do you do what you do?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    The preceeding article, which he links to on someone else's blog, was from a little different perspective.
    Chiron: Assumptions and Biases

It gives some examples of how the experiences of the teacher or the student will drive their focus to different priorities. They may be valid and real, but inconsistent with some other assumptions that are also valid based on someone else's experience.

Coming up with your own set of assumptions, backed by analysis of your own experience and relevant data is important when allocating training resources. I'll come back later and talk about mine and how they've changed over the few years I've been training.

This whole thing probably only applies to trainers and more involved training hobbyist.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    As a 40 year fat guy that has been known to carry a $3000 pistol I am deeply offended. How dare he suggest the Internet is BS?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    As a 40 year fat guy that has been known to carry a $3000 pistol I am deeply offended. How dare he suggest the Internet is BS?

You bring up a solid point in your (partial?) jest. If we live long enough, we will all get old and have less physical abilities than we once did. Or hurt, or handicap, or whatever. We have just as much right to self defense with a firearm, and possibly more need, in that case than if we are an in shape stud or studette. While I firmly believe that we should all be in the best shape we can for the shape we are in, most of us aren't superhero material. I think Jackson is on to something that some of this advice may be best received by those who make their living needing it. Police, soldiers, professional instructors, or in my case professional student.

As to the $3,000 boat anchor, well.......

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Dang. Even without the use of purple people still know how to take me.

come on down here stud. We'll see what a fat man can make a boat anchor do. :stickpoke:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    When I said this was more geared to the professional or the serious training enthusiasts, I meant more because someone who only takes one class ever doesn't need a framework by which to choose courses. Your point makes sense too.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Dang. Even without the use of purple people still know how to take me.

come on down here stud. We'll see what a fat man can make a boat anchor do. :stickpoke:

Ooh, you sound just like John Wayne at the end of True Grit.

Of course you already know that a) I am just jealous that I can't afford a $3,000 pistol, and b) if I could it would remove one of my excuses for not being a better shooter.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I traded for a $3000 pistol. Emptied the safe during the great panic after Sandy hook. Only way I can afford one.

Does it make you coffee and scrub the stains out of your underwear?

No. Do you remember that summer you turned 16 and got to second base for the first time? Yeah it's kind of like that.

Sadly, he still needed someone to show him how to use it... :draw:

:stickpoke:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Oh and sorry for the thread derail Jackson. Kids were on a 2 hour delay this morning. Plus I think I am suffering from Low T, male pattern balding and menopause because my sarcasm meter is super high right now.

I thought it was a good link. Especially agree with the comment about not taking/having time to learn an art. Oh and physical fitness. I have made improvements but still lack in this regard.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Oh and sorry for the thread derail Jackson. Kids were on a 2 hour delay this morning. Plus I think I am suffering from Low T, male pattern balding and menopause because my sarcasm meter is super high right now.

I thought it was a good link. Especially agree with the comment about not taking/having time to learn an art. Oh and physical fitness. I have made improvements but still lack in this regard.

I'm as much responsible for thread derailment as anyone. I started another thread on my 2016 goals.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    One of my biggest training biases is that the teacher's personality and character matter to me enough that I will never train with (or train again with) that person.

Does that limit me? Maybe, but given the number of opportunities and people who have a lot to offer, it's tough for me to believe that Douche Bag #1 or Jack Wagon #2 are the sole purveyors or even the best purveyors of any specific knowledge. Life is too short and my time is too valuable to waste even a moment with someone I don't respect. In some notable cases, the product served by some of the most colossal a-holes in the firearms training business were mediocre at best in my estimation. I won't miss them. They won't miss me. In other cases, observations of behavior and words, as well as personal interaction (online and in meat space) have made some decisions very easy.

Since I raised the point, I recognize that I might fall into that category for some. I don't have a problem with that! Free markets are good things.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Lot of ego in the firearms world. I suppose that is true everywhere though. I can respect your position.

Top Bottom