• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    A friend of mine just bought a new marlin rifle and doesn't really like it. He bought it at a firearms store so all the state background check was done and he purchased the gun. Now I'm thinking about getting it from him only a week from when he bought it. On the paperwork he put on there it was intended for him but now its possibly not. our question is does that raise a flag if he gets rid of it so soon and what is the proper way legally to transfer it to my future ownership? And the factory warranty registration hasn't been filled out by neither of us yet. I was going to fill it out in my name but don't want any legal issues from doing that for either of us. In the past, I'm talking years ago I was told just get a bill of sale and was good to go. Sorry if this is confusing. Thanks GD

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    No one will know but the two of you. The manufacturer doesn't know who bought it until the warranty card shows up. Nothing illegal about it, nothing to worry about provided you are legally allowed to possess firearms.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    A friend of mine just bought a new marlin rifle and doesn't really like it. He bought it at a firearms store so all the state background check was done and he purchased the gun. Now I'm thinking about getting it from him only a week from when he bought it. On the paperwork he put on there it was intended for him but now its possibly not. our question is does that raise a flag if he gets rid of it so soon and what is the proper way legally to transfer it to my future ownership? And the factory warranty registration hasn't been filled out by neither of us yet. I was going to fill it out in my name but don't want any legal issues from doing that for either of us. In the past, I'm talking years ago I was told just get a bill of sale and was good to go. Sorry if this is confusing. Thanks GD
    So long as he didn't buy it to give it to you and so long as you're a 'proper person' in the eyes of the law you're both fine.

Even if they did see it as a 'straw purchase' - so long as you're a proper person I don't believe there's much if anything they could do.

BTW... I am not a lawyer.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    He didn't buy it with the intent to resell it at a profit and he didn't buy it on behalf of a prohibited person. It's not a straw purchase.

Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    Thanks for the replies. He bought it with the intention of keeping it and we both have purchased guns recently with the state background check was done needless to say we're legal gun owners and actually he's going to be at a small financial loss on it so no profit there. Thanks for your input and if anymore can chime in its appreciated GD

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Thanks for the replies. He bought it with the intention of keeping it and we both have purchased guns recently with the state background check was done needless to say we're legal gun owners and actually he's going to be at a small financial loss on it so no profit there. Thanks for your input and if anymore can chime in its appreciated GD
    Assuming you both are in the same state then you BOTH are good to go. Nobody but you 2 will know how the transfer between you two went down or even that it was a week or whatever after he bought the gun new.

GO FOR IT!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Assuming you both are in the same state then you BOTH are good to go. Nobody but you 2 will know how the transfer between you two went down or even that it was a week or whatever after he bought the gun new.
    Except everybody on INGO.

But yes... beyond that... nobody at all will know.

:):

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    On the paperwork he put on there it was intended for him but now its possibly not. our question is does that raise a flag if he gets rid of it so soon and what is the proper way legally to transfer it to my future ownership?

And....it was. His intent at the time of purchase was to use the gun himself. That's all the law requires. If he changes his mind and decides to sell it, an hour later or 10 years later, it makes no difference. As for how to acquire the gun from him....in Indiana, that's simple: give him money and take the gun. If you want to write up a simple Bill of Sale that shows the date and serial number, so be it, but Indiana does not require it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    'Course it wouldn't hurt if he posted on a forum about all the reasons he doesn't like it anymore.....should anyone start thinking he made it up after the fact.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A friend of mine just bought a new marlin rifle and doesn't really like it. He bought it at a firearms store so all the state background check was done and he purchased the gun. Now I'm thinking about getting it from him only a week from when he bought it. On the paperwork he put on there it was intended for him but now its possibly not.
    So when he bought it he intended to keep it.
    our question is does that raise a flag if he gets rid of it so soon and what is the proper way legally to transfer it to my future ownership?
    What flag? Who knows about it but you and he and :ingo:?

And the factory warranty registration hasn't been filled out by neither of us yet. I was going to fill it out in my name but don't want any legal issues from doing that for either of us. In the past, I'm talking years ago I was told just get a bill of sale and was good to go. Sorry if this is confusing. Thanks GD
    No BoS necessary. No warranty card needed for covered service in the future. Those cards are more for marketing purposes anyways. (Why do they need to know my household income?)

Everything here is honest and 100% legal. :patriot:

EDIT: I was going to say a gun mfgr. should always respect a warranty regardless of ownership. However, Marlin has slipped a bit recently so I don't know...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    'Course it wouldn't hurt if he posted on a forum about all the reasons he doesn't like it anymore.....should anyone start thinking he made it up after the fact.

We both know that's overkill...

The guys you buy and sell at gun shows with tables don't ever get busted for this so why would some who buys a gun, decides he doesn't like and then sells it even get a partial glance from an agent.

IUOE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Terre Haute
    Legally your not required to do anything but a good idea at least for the seller is to have a signed bill of sale and if it were me I'd just take it to an FFL and have them do the transfer that way if it's even stolen and recovered you can be contacted.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Legally your not required to do anything but a good idea at least for the seller is to have a signed bill of sale and if it were me I'd just take it to an FFL and have them do the transfer that way if it's even stolen and recovered you can be contacted.

Or, if it's stolen, contact the police and report it as stolen.

Having it in a FFL bound book won't do squat. A trace will lead to buyer one (NOT the transfer FFL), who will say, "I sold it to buyer 2". Otherwise, there's not much to connect that gun to the dealer who does the transfer.

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    Just take the simplest approach which has already been offered...give your friend the amount you agreed to and start shooting the rifle. There is absolutely no way I would go to the time, trouble and expense of visiting an FFL for a Marlin rifle bought from a friend. Have fun!

Last edited:

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    I bought the Walther PPX m1 after too many beers one night. Got it decided it was ugly as sin and sold it two hours later.

icky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    montpelier
    even if he bought it and intended to sell it because it was a great price its not a straw purchase. its only a straw purchase if it was bought with the intent of giving or selling it to sombody who is restricted from owning it. i cant count the # of times people have asked me about regrestered guns they have bought. and when i say if its not an NFA weapon there is no regerstration they look at me like im speaking chinese

Top Bottom