Transporting a handgun without a license. OFFICIAL!!!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I sent an inquiry to Gov. Daniels regarding transporting a handgun without a license in this state. I know what the statute says, but it seems that some people claim they have been told that transporting is OK without a license if the firearm is disassembled, stored in a locked container etc... I wanted clarification and I got it. I specifically asked if transporting to a firing range was allowed because the range would be considered a place of business. Following is the response I got from Ruben Marte, Captain, Assistant Commander, Indiana State Police Firearms Records Division:

Update to original email is pending a telephone conversation with Captain Marte. Information relayed in original email may have been incorrect.

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Thanks for getting clarification on the carry to the range question. That whole discussion was getting rather old. I don't suppose you also asked about having a non-licensed person use someone else's gun at a range, did you?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I dont understand? If you are a hunter and dont have a carry license, you cant take your gun?

You can't take a handgun. The statute does not address rifles. To hunt with a handgun you would need a personal protection license or a hunting and target license.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    :+1:I broke the law for several years due to my own ignorance with this issue. Most LEO don't even know. Many of them unknowingly misdirect folks as well. It was this issue in paticular that started my thirst for knowing the laws. Thanks for getting more confirmation! Too many stories of people gettting into trouble based on a simple misunderstanding.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    who is going to be the one to break the news to pop guns? they have been telling people for years that its ok to come to their range w/out a hangun license....

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    who is going to be the one to break the news to pop guns? they have been telling people for years that its ok to come to their range w/out a hangun license....

Note that the question was specifically about transporting, not shooting someone else's gun at a range (not that you're necessarily wrong...)

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I have INGO to thank on knowing that I could not go to the range without my LTCH. Just today I was passing the same information along to someone else.

:+1: for :INGO:

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    But my cousin knows a girl that's married to a cop and he said it was fine as long as I brought my reloading equipment and disassembled ammunition and pistol, then proceeded to reload the ammo at the range, as well as put the pistol back together, and pay the $5 temporary fee to his paypal acct.

:laugh6:

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Anyone else not see the line that is a HUGE change from the INGO interpretation of those statutes? This jumped out at me big time:

"However, the statues do allow the transportation from your dwelling to your own place of business."

This means you can carry a loaded handgun to & from their own business every day without a LTCH, right? No stops at Kroger on the way home, but that is still a heckuva lot of carrying that is possible without a license.

The older INGO reading was that you had to take it from the store right to your business and then leave it there. No riding to & from work with you in your car.

Anyone else see this?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Anyone else not see the line that is a HUGE change from the INGO interpretation of those statutes? This jumped out at me big time:

"However, the statues do allow the transportation from your dwelling to your own place of business."

This means you can carry a loaded handgun to & from their own business every day without a LTCH, right? No stops at Kroger on the way home, but that is still a heckuva lot of carrying that is possible without a license.

The older INGO reading was that you had to take it from the store right to your business and then leave it there. No riding to & from work with you in your car.

Anyone else see this?

I don't recall anyone ever saying you could only transport it from home to work one time. The statute clearly says to/from your home to/from your fixed place of business.

Also, I'm not sure I'd call it "carrying" since it has to be in a "unloaded and in a secure wrapper".

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    This is great clarification. It contradicts everything I've ever been told by ranges I visit, including the ECPL, PopGuns, and *gasp* Don's guns. I was once told by Gary Shoemaker before he died that transporting "to and from an FFL" was expressly legal. I can't think of the # of possible arrests I've had over the years. (licensed now)

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    I think some of the confusion is attributed to the funny wording.

(11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another (dwelling or business).
    - Italics added.

The word "another" is key. One could interpret that the IC only allows for transporting from one dwelling to another dwelling and one business to another business, not between a dwelling and a business.

I just wonder how this would play out in a courtroom.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom