• ...and so much more!
  • BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    Hi all.

I am taking a trip to MI in the near future to help my Dad with a varmit problem and I have a question concerning MI law and transporting a long gun. I am hoping some of our friends along the norther border can provide some input since Google has NOT been my friend in finding this info.

Here is how I plan on transporting:

Rifles in the trunk, unloaded, with their factory locks in place, but the rifles will not be in a "wrapper". Ammo and mags together, in a bag, in the passenger compartment.

My question: If John E Law decides to stop me for whatever reason, will I be within MI law on transporting my rifles?

I do know better than to do anything to get myself pulled over. I have been pulled over 1 time in MI since my folks moved back there 7 years ago.... because my license plate lights were not functioning. :rolleyes:

Thank you for any input! :patriot::ingo:

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    This is an excerpt from the NRA site on Michigan firearm transportation laws. The entire two-page summary is at (http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/MISL.pdf).

[excerpt beginning]
    In order to transport or possess rifles and shotguns in a motor vehicle, Michigan law requires that they be unloaded and be one or more of the following: broken down, enclosed in a case, carried in the trunk of the vehicle, or inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.
    [excerpt end]

I'm always a fan of checking the sites, THEN actually calling the State Police (or other appropriate agency) in the state to get the latest and greatest info. Sometimes things change...especially in July...and the sites might not be 100% accurate. Checking is always good.

This link (http://www.nraila.org/recmap/michiganrec.pdf) will take you to the reciprocity page for Michigan on the NRA site. I know this isn't the question, but there is a link there for the proper Michigan website, along with numbers for the State Police and Attorney General's Office. They can give you the latest info and let you know if any of this has changed, but it sounds like unloaded and in the trunk is fine.

Good luck,

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    Thank you!

Thank you for the input, gentlemen.

And a very big thank you SC Shooter for the links. Apparently my Google search fu has been very weak these days, almost like I couldn't find my rear end with a map, compass and a flashlight.

barricade

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    lived and continue to travel o both sides of mi and ind border how you described is how i always did till i got my carry licence after that doesnt matter.

Top Bottom