• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    in october my friends and i are going to a place in kentucky that allows shooting and we were planning to take some guns.
    2 ar15
    6 handguns
    2 22 rifles
    5 shotguns

The shortest route sends us through ohio and i was wondering if anyone knew their laws regarding this situation. I know carrying for us is a no no, but was unsure of the transporting rules.
    or am i better off adding an hour to the drive and staying in indiana until we get to kentucky then head east?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Federal law allows transport from one legal area to another legal area. Just follow the laws as to storage, which is PROBABLY something like disassembled, locked in a container, outside the passenger compartment, separate from ammo. But look up the rules.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Federal law allows transport from one legal area to another legal area. Just follow the laws as to storage, which is PROBABLY something like disassembled, locked in a container, outside the passenger compartment, separate from ammo. But look up the rules.

Fireaerm Owners Protaction Act (FOPA) of 1986 "Safe Transport" provision allows a gun owner to transport (just passin' through, Sheriff!) legally owned firearms through any state--unloaded, cased inaccessible (in the trunk, etc.) with ammunition separate.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If you're heading towards Cinci then do yourself a favour and get off at state highway 1 and take it over to 275. You can avoid Ohio completely that way.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Your mags can NOT be loaded in Ohio. I can't get an answer if the ammo can be stored in the same area of the car.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Your mags can NOT be loaded in Ohio. I can't get an answer if the ammo can be stored in the same area of the car.

Correct, but Ohio laws do not apply if just passing through and transporting according to FOPA.

But regarding the Ohio code on that subject, I'd say it doesn't matter what area in which the unloaded ammo resides.: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16
    (K)...
    (5) “Unloaded” means any of the following:
    (a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question. For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.

Last edited:

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    If you do not have a carry license/permit that is recognized by Ohio, then you must have the guns AND the magazines/speedloaders unloaded. Where the ammo is at is irrelevant, you can have a range bag with all the ammo and magazines in it, as long as the mags are unloaded.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    If you're heading towards Cinci then do yourself a favour and get off at state highway 1 and take it over to 275. You can avoid Ohio completely that way.

+1 on highway 1 .;)..It's 17 miles of hills and turns , but you'll make good overall time . ( and it's fun with good scenery ) We did it with 35,000 lb. trucks and it was a blast!

All because 2 greedy millionaires were to cheep to buy permits...:D

Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    thanks a lot for the good info guys, i will be checking the map for the state hwy1 route, if that doesnt work i will be double checking everyones firearms and mags to make sure they are separate and unloaded.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Another on the route 1. It's a straight shot from the Fort. You'll come straight down 27 and just keep going straight it and you'll run into Liberty. US 27 turns off to the left but you'll remain straight on hwy 101 which will take you straight into hwy 1 in Brookville. Follow 1 all the way to Lawrenceburg and get on 275 and immediately cross the bridge into KY. Ran that way in my semi for years. Just watch your speed in the last 10 miles because its a 45 zone but most people run 60 and the cops know it. If your going to eastern KY you can follow 275 around to the southeast side and get on KY Hwy 9AA and it is a straight Southeast shot across the state toward I-64 and it's good road too.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Agreed on the Ohio transport! I travel to Cinci every day for my job...and have the revolver locked up separately from the ammo! I've been told that ammo accessability is not the issue, but whether it could be loaded into the gun and make the gun 'ready' quickly! As long as everything is locked up and the ammo cannot be made to make the gun 'ready' quickly, you should be okay!

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Agreed on the Ohio transport! I travel to Cinci every day for my job...and have the revolver locked up separately from the ammo! I've been told that ammo accessability is not the issue, but whether it could be loaded into the gun and make the gun 'ready' quickly! As long as everything is locked up and the ammo cannot be made to make the gun 'ready' quickly, you should be okay!

If you had a Utah Non-resident, you wouldn't have to worry. Best thing I ever did.....:)

nick89302

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    If you had a Utah Non-resident, you wouldn't have to worry. Best thing I ever did.....:)

Same here. I go camping and climbing in the DBNF, RRG area. I could either go through Cinci, OH or Louisville, KY, and I used to always take the southern route which always made the wife unhappy because she always wanted to go to IKEA in Cinci. Now, when we make a trip this year she'll be able to go. Yay for making the significant other happy. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom