• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Agreed, he won't find much for that. And anything he will find, will be a "second choice" until he decides to trade up. If the specs. published for the SXP Trap are correct, and it actually weighs less than 7 pounds in 12 ga, it's a bad choice for trap and will kick the snot out of him when fired with even trap loads for extended time. If you poured the stock bolt hole full of shot and clamped a barrel weight on, you could get close to par, but I still think he'll be looking for an 870 or Beretta before that gun is 1 year old.

I just hate to see anybody spend money getting started the wrong way.

Last edited:

ThatOneKid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    Batesville
    i used a remington 870 that was from walmart,my dad has an 870 trap that he paid 600 for(used) and the only clean round he ever shot was with a ruger red label,all of those can be used and are entry level guns, great for the guys who hand throw birds, or the yearly trip to the trap range, look at a remington 870 trap or a winchester sxp trap(both are affordable)

now if you are wanting to shoot trap everyweekend,or drive to ohio for the ata grand american,you know really get into the sport, look for a krieghoff, lujic, or other high end trap gun(beautiful wood, beautiful blue/stainless, back bored, ported, high rib) gander in evansville has a used krieghoff for 6999.99(not a typo yes 7 thousand dollars USED!)

a guy let me shoot a round with a browning bt99 trap gun(after i shot it i cussed him up and down, cause after i shot that sweet little 1200.00 gun i had to back to my 300.00 870)

ill tell you watching a bird "dust" will make you smile! and missing one will make you cuss!

one time i had 24, and missed the 25th, i remember taking my shotgun by the barrel and holding it like a baseball bat getting ready to throw that thing as far as i could, when my dad stopped me and said, maybe we ought to take a break for a while!

You can get cheaper, useder bt99s a little but cheaper than that, if you don't want to swing $1000 for one. I bought mine for $850, and suits my needs just fine

For now...

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I went retro last year and shot some trap. I pulled out the first shotgun I ever bought, a Wingmaster, paid for with money I earned working at two trap clubs. That was 1978. With a pump you don't have to chase empties. Before I die I may gift myself with a used BT99 just so I can finally have one. That gun makes trap fun. So do old Model 12's but not for $400. With a used 870 there are plenty of aftermarket add ons like mercury recoil reducers and stocks. You can slowly add to the gun and build it up, then buy something else when you peak. Or..............you may be just fine with the gun as is.

The reason I bought an 870, for about $170, was my boss would not sell me a Beretta O/U of his I loved. 30" barrels, he left it In the trunk to shoot cows when they got in the corn. It was a bit beat up and I think I offered to go $500 on it. I could tear it up even on the porch shoots we had which were probably 35 yards. It was an extension of me. If you buy a "cheap" O/U it should be because you got a deal on 70's era gun with only 2 3/4" chamber and fixed chokes. Not because it was an O/U that fit your budget.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Why not just ask the people at Indiana Gun Club? They have a large selection of used shotguns and they will let you shoot the ones your are interested in buying.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Main difference between a Trap Gun and a Field Gun is point of Impact. A Trap gun shoots higher so you don't loose sight of the target. There's some old Winchester 1200 and 1400 around for a reasonable price. I had a 1400 many years ago I got on a trade. It was a solid gun with no problems ever. These are decent guns but had to compete with the 870-1100's that were more popular. PULL!

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    Trap shooting is similar to heroin, highly addictive... Lol

For sure! I am hooked...

Agreed, he won't find much for that. And anything he will find, will be a "second choice" until he decides to trade up. If the specs. published for the SXP Trap are correct, and it actually weighs less than 7 pounds in 12 ga, it's a bad choice for trap and will kick the snot out of him when fired with even trap loads for extended time. If you poured the stock bolt hole full of shot and clamped a barrel weight on, you could get close to par, but I still think he'll be looking for an 870 or Beretta before that gun is 1 year old.

I just hate to see anybody spend money getting started the wrong way.

This is what I was thinking.

I went retro last year and shot some trap. I pulled out the first shotgun I ever bought, a Wingmaster, paid for with money I earned working at two trap clubs. That was 1978. With a pump you don't have to chase empties. Before I die I may gift myself with a used BT99 just so I can finally have one. That gun makes trap fun. So do old Model 12's but not for $400. With a used 870 there are plenty of aftermarket add ons like mercury recoil reducers and stocks. You can slowly add to the gun and build it up, then buy something else when you peak. Or..............you may be just fine with the gun as is.

The reason I bought an 870, for about $170, was my boss would not sell me a Beretta O/U of his I loved. 30" barrels, he left it In the trunk to shoot cows when they got in the corn. It was a bit beat up and I think I offered to go $500 on it. I could tear it up even on the porch shoots we had which were probably 35 yards. It was an extension of me. If you buy a "cheap" O/U it should be because you got a deal on 70's era gun with only 2 3/4" chamber and fixed chokes. Not because it was an O/U that fit your budget.

All great information. I will definitely head out to the Gun Club to shoot some of their used guns. I don't mind buying a solid used gun. I just don't a junk gun that will break in after a year.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    i used a remington 870 that was from walmart,my dad has an 870 trap that he paid 600 for(used) and the only clean round he ever shot was with a ruger red label,all of those can be used and are entry level guns, great for the guys who hand throw birds, or the yearly trip to the trap range, look at a remington 870 trap or a winchester sxp trap(both are affordable)

now if you are wanting to shoot trap everyweekend,or drive to ohio for the ata grand american,you know really get into the sport, look for a krieghoff, lujic, or other high end trap gun(beautiful wood, beautiful blue/stainless, back bored, ported, high rib) gander in evansville has a used krieghoff for 6999.99(not a typo yes 7 thousand dollars USED!)

a guy let me shoot a round with a browning bt99 trap gun(after i shot it i cussed him up and down, cause after i shot that sweet little 1200.00 gun i had to back to my 300.00 870)

ill tell you watching a bird "dust" will make you smile! and missing one will make you cuss!

one time i had 24, and missed the 25th, i remember taking my shotgun by the barrel and holding it like a baseball bat getting ready to throw that thing as far as i could, when my dad stopped me and said, maybe we ought to take a break for a while!

Hate to to say it but you're just a little out of date. The ATA Grand American trap shoot has not been shot in Vandalia, Ohio in many years. The ATA lost their lease and the venue was moved to Sparta, Illinois several years ago !
    And yes there are some very expensive trap guns. There are a lot of guns that will get you"there." You can go in a 15 year old pickup or a new Cadillac Escalade.

To the OP: If you want to shoot a Krieghoff send me a p.m. if you'd like to work out a day to hook up at Indiana Gun Club to shoot skeet, trap, or sporting clays. I'll furnish the gun(s). I can let you select from three different models of over and unders (Krieghoff, Browning, and Remington), a Remington 870 pump, and two auto loaders - Remington and Beretta.

Last edited:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Hate to to say it but you're just a little out of date. The ATA Grand American trap shoot has not been shot in Vandalia, Ohio in many years. The ATA lost their lease and the venue was moved to Sparta, Illinois several years ago !
    QUOTE]

yes i looked it up later, i was mistaken, and yes i havent shot a round of trap in years, my dad and i used to go to evansville gunclub a lot!, but havent been in years!, after the whole "grabbing my shotgun like a baseball bat and throwing it as far as i could" made me ask myself "is it really fun?"

like i said watching a bird "dust" is awesome, but breaking 24 will make you cuss like a sailor!

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    QUOTE]

yes i looked it up later, i was mistaken, and yes i havent shot a round of trap in years, my dad and i used to go to evansville gunclub a lot!, but havent been in years!, after the whole "grabbing my shotgun like a baseball bat and throwing it as far as i could" made me ask myself "is it really fun?"

like i said watching a bird "dust" is awesome, but breaking 24 will make you cuss like a sailor!

So kinda of like Golf.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    To the OP: If you want to shoot a Krieghoff send me a p.m. if you'd like to work out a day to hook up at Indiana Gun Club to shoot skeet, trap, or sporting clays. I'll furnish the gun(s). I can let you select from three different models of over and unders (Krieghoff, Browning, and Remington), a Remington 870 pump, and two auto loaders - Remington and Beretta.

OP, don't be shy about taking advantage of this offer.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Here's my experience:
    Take the offer - then cry about your budget - then find a used 870, shoot trap for fun and be happy.
    In my opinion, you will not find any "trap" gun in that $ window.
    However, that in no way means you cannot break 25's with a sub $400 gun.
    As mentioned, an 870 or any other field gun is going to sight different. It is a "cover" sight. Most trap guns are going to shoot high because you should be shooting at the target while it is still rising.
    My shooting bud breaks high 20's all the time no matter what gun he has in his hand. $200 or $2000.
    Yes, having better equipment can make any job easier, but as said, a chevy will still get you the same place a caddilac will.
    My son started on a $100 FIE 20g single with a single bead at 13 and shot high teens consistently for more than a year. He then took my 870 Express 12g and broke into the low 20's occasionally.
    One of the guys at the club started giving him a 20g beretta 391 with a mid bead every time he was there and he would always break low 20's for the most part. It was just a case of better equipment made the job easier.
    Since I'm a loon and he is fairly dedicated to the sport, I bought him an A400 Parallel Target - $1700 ish and yeah, he started breaking 25's. Tied for first in his class at the Indy state ATA/AIM shoot last summer.
    He still picks up $200-$500 870's and breaks low 20's for fun. They guys at the club also let him shoot their guns all the time - big money perazzis and brownings and others that I could never afford but he can dream.
    I moved on to a used beretta 391 (from indy gun club) with a 70/30 aftermarket rib $800 ish. And am completely happy - and yes, I shoot way better scores with it than I do the 870 but it took some time to adjust to the different sighting. I had to figure the gun out. I picked up an as new used 391 20g for the wife for $700 that collects dust also. The next purchase for the kid will be an over under in the $2000-$2500 range because he has to have an adjustable comb and a recoil stock unless we find the perfect monte carlo setup. Oh, and I just picked up an 870 for $200 a couple weeks ago and guess where its going... the trap range. :) Good luck on your search. Indy Gun Club is the BEST place for used trap guns.

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    Thank you for your insight. I'll defiantly get over to the indiana gun club to some of the used gun and possibly buy one.

Here's my experience:
    Take the offer - then cry about your budget - then find a used 870, shoot trap for fun and be happy.
    In my opinion, you will not find any "trap" gun in that $ window.
    However, that in no way means you cannot break 25's with a sub $400 gun.
    As mentioned, an 870 or any other field gun is going to sight different. It is a "cover" sight. Most trap guns are going to shoot high because you should be shooting at the target while it is still rising.
    My shooting bud breaks high 20's all the time no matter what gun he has in his hand. $200 or $2000.
    Yes, having better equipment can make any job easier, but as said, a chevy will still get you the same place a caddilac will.
    My son started on a $100 FIE 20g single with a single bead at 13 and shot high teens consistently for more than a year. He then took my 870 Express 12g and broke into the low 20's occasionally.
    One of the guys at the club started giving him a 20g beretta 391 with a mid bead every time he was there and he would always break low 20's for the most part. It was just a case of better equipment made the job easier.
    Since I'm a loon and he is fairly dedicated to the sport, I bought him an A400 Parallel Target - $1700 ish and yeah, he started breaking 25's. Tied for first in his class at the Indy state ATA/AIM shoot last summer.
    He still picks up $200-$500 870's and breaks low 20's for fun. They guys at the club also let him shoot their guns all the time - big money perazzis and brownings and others that I could never afford but he can dream.
    I moved on to a used beretta 391 (from indy gun club) with a 70/30 aftermarket rib $800 ish. And am completely happy - and yes, I shoot way better scores with it than I do the 870 but it took some time to adjust to the different sighting. I had to figure the gun out. I picked up an as new used 391 20g for the wife for $700 that collects dust also. The next purchase for the kid will be an over under in the $2000-$2500 range because he has to have an adjustable comb and a recoil stock unless we find the perfect monte carlo setup. Oh, and I just picked up an 870 for $200 a couple weeks ago and guess where its going... the trap range. :) Good luck on your search. Indy Gun Club is the BEST place for used trap guns.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Oh, and I just picked up an 870 for $200 a couple weeks ago and guess where its going... the trap range. :) Good luck on your search. Indy Gun Club is the BEST place for used trap guns.

Great post OP. Great info. I am also interested in shooting trap. Where Oh where do you guys find these $200 870's? I want one for this spring.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I don't know about these $200 870's..........last June I paid $160 for a Wingmaster. No, it does not look like NIB. When I bought it I said "it feels like 2004 again, when cheap Wingmasters were still off peoples radars."

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Used 870 $250 at best that doesn't look like it went through the war or a Jr. Model. 3 1/2" if duck hunting in the future is preferred, but 3" mag. works fine too even past an entry level ability. I still have my 870. Dad likes to shoot it as much as his Beretta Extrema 2.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Question for you guys talking about the over and under shot guns on here. Just curious as I know Browning and Beretta make solid shot guns as far as what you can buy at your gun store. But what about red labels? They are about $1,000 new now a days. I saw some of you saying $1,000 for a used quality one... Just wondered, I have an old one as well as one of the new ones. I have shot brownings and like them, but the red label was a gift. Also I am not much of a trap shooter, but I have killed a crap ton of doves with them! Kinda curious as to your opinions, I won't get all butt hurt if you don't like them I promise!

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Yeah, don't expect a wingmaster for cheap unless you're dealing with someone in the sticks... although I did get a nice old wingmaster over the summer for $300... ;) With a custom adjustable comb no less...

Top Bottom