• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I live in the middle of Jeffersonville, and a large groundhog has decided to make under my shed his home. Anyone have any luck or tips for live trapping them?

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I would stake 330 bodygrips in his frequently used runs. If you or your neighbors have outdoor animals you don't want dead, avoid that and bait a live trap with a piece of bread or similar, with a couple of drops of legit vanilla extract.

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I really would like to use a bodygrip, I think it would work well with how I've seen him enter and leave my shed, but there are a few too many cats running around. :(

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IMHO a 330 is way overkill.

Preferred is 1.5 coil in depression just inside den opening. Cover the pan and sift dirt on top. Trap attached to drag, hole covered.
    If they go a ways just look for the tumbleweed.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    like hookeye said 330 is overkill, 220 bodygrip is plenty. plus it is unlawfull to set 330 unless completly submerged in water.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    We had a big'n behind our shop that had moved in under a car.

We set a live trap and caught him but when the next morning rolled around he was dead in the trap. Oh well, easy disposal.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    That's what we used earlier this year. Got the one under our shop about 4 hours after we set the trap.

I guess I should clarify this, I don't know which model we were using, Dad just called it a conibear and it's just the design I was talking about.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I threw a left over ear of sweetcorn in a live trap after dinner one night hoping to catch one. I mean, what kind of herbivore could resist? Instead, I caught a gigantic, psychotic tomcat. That was the scariest critter I ever caught in a live trap.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    A well placed .177 pellet will do the trick. My neighbor has got 4 that way this year. Prefer the .22lr but understand the being in the city limits part. I have to many skunks around here to trap anything. Best of luck.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A well placed .177 pellet will do the trick. My neighbor has got 4 that way this year. Prefer the .22lr but understand the being in the city limits part. I have to many skunks around here to trap anything. Best of luck.

I put a total of 5 .177 pellets in a possum over a 3 day period. It never did even slow him down.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    You will never keep them in a leg hold. All you will find is a flipped off trap with some groundhog toes. Use a 220 conibear. Keep the dogs in the house while the traps are set.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have caught dozens with leg holds. My preference is for a 1.5 coil.
    Works just fine.
    But you will need to cover the pan and sift, so no chunks impede closing or gripping.

Top Bottom